You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

34 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

I wouldn't say no but our homegrown quota needs to be looked at so Ben White would be my first choice

Minimum is 8 home grown if you register 25 players

Gomez

Hendo

Chamberlain 

Milner

Trent

Williams

Jones

Elliot

Problem is that leaves 17 spots for non home grown players 

Allison

Adrian

Robbo

van Dijk

Matip

Keita

Gini

Fabinho

Shaqiri 

Miamino

Mane

Salah

Firmino

Origi

Then you have Grujic, Karius and other HG players like the young keeper Khelleher, Wilson and Brewster. Wouldn't be shocked to see Lonegan back if Khelleher goes on loan as its another HG player for squad numbers. 

Can't remember the exact rules regarding players under 21. 

Shows why there's a tax on British players. Weird that Scottish players that went to Scottish acadamies don't count as hone grown. And why Premier league clubs look to steal the top talent to get them in the acadamies and counting as home grown. 

Was just looking at this quota stuff.  Of the 8 homegrown players Clyne, Lallana and Lonergan have left the club and another Christie-Davies is surely not going to play.  Trent and Kelleher are the only young'uns old enough to be registered  this year.  Guess we'll be registering a few more older U23's.

Looks like we only registered 15 non-homegrown players w/the premier league last year.  And one of them was Chirivella!

So, not sure what to make of all that.

Blaise Matuidi is a free agent.  Potentially decent CM backup for a year.

Dani Parejo moved to Villareal on a free.  What a waste of talent. 

Lille signed Jonathan David from Gent, for £28m.

Arda Turan still exists, he just moved to Galatasaray.

Adolfo Gaich is 21, striker in the Lewandowski mould, looks a right handful, he just moved to CSKA Moscow for £8m, one to watch. 

11 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Ismaila Sarr has admitted that he “would love” to play for Liverpool as rumours of a potential summer switch to Anfield rumble on. 

Sarr has been heavily linked with a move away from Watford since they were relegated from the Premier League last month.

And Jurgen Klopp is understood to be considering making an offer for the Senegalese winger. The Reds are looking for back-up options to Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah in the wide attacking positions.

Watford will reportedly demand £40million for their record signing should they receive an approach. The 22-year-old joined for £27million from Stade Rennais ahead of the 2019/20 season.

It is unlikely the Merseyside club will be willing to pay that much, but a swoop has not been ruled out.

Sarr has now been asked for his thoughts on the reports linking him with the Merseyside outfit. Speaking to Senegalese outlet Sans Limites, cited on the Evening Standard, he said: “Liverpool are a really great team, everyone would love to play there.

“They won the Premier League this year and the Champions League last year. But there are other great teams in the English league.

“Frankly, I have yet to make a choice. If I am to leave, I just hope it is for a good team. At the moment, it is just guesswork.”

Despite all the talk regarding his future, it is unclear whether Watford will be willing to let Sarr go. That is something the player is aware of, and states he will play in the Championship if that’s what the Hornets want.

“I still have years left on my contract with Watford; another four years,” he added.

“If Watford want me to stay, I’ll play in the Championship. A departure depends on them as well as me. This is normal.

that's a pretty level headed response from the lad and i like the fact he respects his contract and he knows it needs them to want him to leave as much as him wanting to go. equally though i think it is also pretty clear he doesn't think he's on his way here! 

8 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Minimum is 8 home grown if you register 25 players

Gomez

Hendo

Chamberlain 

Milner

Trent

Williams

Jones

Elliot

Problem is that leaves 17 spots for non home grown players 

Allison

Adrian

Robbo

van Dijk

Matip

Keita

Gini

Fabinho

Shaqiri 

Miamino

Mane

Salah

Firmino

Origi

Then you have Grujic, Karius and other HG players like the young keeper Khelleher, Wilson and Brewster. Wouldn't be shocked to see Lonegan back if Khelleher goes on loan as its another HG player for squad numbers. 

Can't remember the exact rules regarding players under 21. 

Shows why there's a tax on British players. Weird that Scottish players that went to Scottish acadamies don't count as hone grown. And why Premier league clubs look to steal the top talent to get them in the acadamies and counting as home grown. 

I think we can play anyone U21 and you don't name them in your 25, i think they go onto some sort of B squad list - last season while I think trent was in the 25, he could have still classed as an U21, he has only transitioned to taking one of the homegrown slots this season. 

22 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Blaise Matuidi is a free agent.  Potentially decent CM backup for a year.

Dani Parejo moved to Villareal on a free.  What a waste of talent. 

Lille signed Jonathan David from Gent, for £28m.

Arda Turan still exists, he just moved to Galatasaray.

Adolfo Gaich is 21, striker in the Lewandowski mould, looks a right handful, he just moved to CSKA Moscow for £8m, one to watch. 

I think Matuidi has joined that Beckham disney land team. 

I've no idea about Ben White, never seen him play and don't know if we're even interested in signing him but, if we are, it should be on the basis that he's coming in to compete for a first-team place with Gomez, and we use Matip as the "4th choice" who plays for rotation purposes, if the two younger ones are struggling, etc. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

I've no idea about Ben White, never seen him play and don't know if we're even interested in signing him but, if we are, it should be on the basis that he's coming in to compete for a first-team place with Gomez, and we use Matip as the "4th choice" who plays for rotation purposes, if the two younger ones are struggling, etc. 

Pearce has mentioned White many times as someone we are interested in. It seems like one of those where if he stays at Brighton this season, I think we buy him eventually, but if he goes somewhere this summer it will not be to us. 

16 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

He's been watched by scouts from virtually every PL club all season including us.

3 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

He’s absolute class, got everything.

Best to sign him now because he’ll probably end up costing 80/90m in 12 months time.

Said before my ol fella is a Leeds fan and  he said there would be no way they could afford White this summer. He also said Brighton shouldn't sell this summer, as he's better than all their current CB's they should keep him this summer and they'd be able to double their money next summer.

2 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Said before my ol fella is a Leeds fan and  he said there would be no way they could afford White this summer. He also said Brighton shouldn't sell this summer, as he's better than all their current CB's they should keep him this summer and they'd be able to double their money next summer.

Nat Phillips, it is then.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Man Utd linked with Chilwell for £80m. Hope they get into a bidding war with Chelsea and it costs either of them about £95m. I'd say it would improve Leicester with the money but they will always be bottlers while BROD is there. 

Now that would be funny. He's good but £80m? Ridiculous.

39 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

I think that’s about right. I’ve seen Ben White a number of times and, for all the potential, he’d be competing to partner VVD with an established England International who, at only one year older than White, has played many more PL games and won stuff. 

The VVD/Gomez partnership will take some breaking and White doesn’t do that straight away if we do sign him. 

24 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Pearce has mentioned White many times as someone we are interested in. It seems like one of those where if he stays at Brighton this season, I think we buy him eventually, but if he goes somewhere this summer it will not be to us. 

20 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

He's been watched by scouts from virtually every PL club all season including us.

Yeah I know we've been watching him. Watching and trying to actually sign are two different things though. My point was really about what "choice" he should be considered if he signs. 

3 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

Yeah I know we've been watching him. Watching and trying to actually sign are two different things though. My point was really about what "choice" he should be considered if he signs. 

He would seriously challenge for the spot next to van Dijk. Too expensive and highly rated just to be a squad option. 

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

He would seriously challenge for the spot next to van Dijk. Too expensive and highly rated just to be a squad option. 

Exactly. That's what I'm saying. It wouldn't be £50 million on a 4th choice centre back as some people have been characterising it - Matip would become 4th choice.

That said, it's probably moot, as it would come as a bit of shock and contrary to what we've been told if we spent big money on any player this summer.