You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

1 hour ago, The Gaul said:

Well that's some good news ... Well at least if Dortmund don't bottle it. Doesn't he only have 2 years left on his deal? 

The selling club have named their price, United have pretended to walk away. No doubt they will be back in to pay the asking price just like they did with Maguire and Fernandes. 

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

What about this Havertz fella - has he signed.

As they are still in the Europa League, they are not going to confirm a deal until their involvement is over. But from I can tell, it's as good as done.

Screen-Shot-2020-08-10-at-07.35.23-0c60.

25 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

The selling club have named their price, United have pretended to walk away. No doubt they will be back in to pay the asking price just like they did with Maguire and Fernandes. 

Yeah, that's their style, they've been doing it since Ferguson left starting with that big lump they signed from Everton. But that's why I mentioned if Dortmund stick to their guns. That's what sporting did last summer and then the mancs bent over in January and I think paid a little more than they would have in the summer. 

Christian Falk

@cfbayern
· 7h
Big Surprise in @Sanchooo10 Poker! Michael Zorc, Head of Sport @bvb, confirmed: the club secretly renewed the player's contract until 2023 a year ago @SPORTBILD @westsven

This is a top bit of trolling by Dortmund.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him rock up as Mo's replacement next summer. The only reason it wouldn't happen is the wages - United may have offered him so much during this whole saga that he would expect similar from us.

Feel a bit for Jamal Lewis in the deal falling through. Saw a report earlier he got his agent to tell us he would take a 10k a week drop in wages over a 4/5 years if the club upped the offer by 2.5ml to get it over the line. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Feel a bit for Jamal Lewis in the deal falling through. Saw a report earlier he got his agent to tell us he would take a 10k a week drop in wages over a 4/5 years if the club upped the offer by 2.5ml to get it over the line. 

Are transfer requests still a thing these days?

20 minutes ago, Heinze said:

I'm not sure how it all works. He's obviously tried to push through the move by making the offer to cover 2.5ml of the deal. 

Not saying I'm disappointed with the Greek lad, but must be a shame for a young kid who obviously fancied the move, willing to give up money but gets priced out. 

48 minutes ago, Heinze said:

Yep, A player can hand in a request to try and force a move but the club can still turn it down.

25 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I'm not sure how it all works. He's obviously tried to push through the move by making the offer to cover 2.5ml of the deal. 

Not saying I'm disappointed with the Greek lad, but must be a shame for a young kid who obviously fancied the move, willing to give up money but gets priced out. 

Yep, the lad really wanted to come here by the sounds of it. We even offered Norwich a 20% sell on clause and they turned that down. They'll now have a very disappointed player on their hands.

Norwich already bought another left back and in general don't need to sell, they really don't have to care how Lewis feels at this point. I'm sure we wanted to buy Lewis and there would have been a good reason for it, but people are making it seem like charity at this point. Was ready to take a wage cut, wanted to come, etc... He'll probably find some other Premier League team but I think he's kind of shit. At best, he's a project. 

22 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Norwich already bought another left back and in general don't need to sell, they really don't have to care how Lewis feels at this point. I'm sure we wanted to buy Lewis and there would have been a good reason for it, but people are making it seem like charity at this point. Was ready to take a wage cut, wanted to come, etc... He'll probably find some other Premier League team but I think he's kind of shit. At best, he's a project. 

Eh? I disagree - I think they do. I'm sure you've heard Jurgen specifically talking about the importance of good squad morale, harmony and doing the right thing for the player. Some of it is fluff but it's largely the reason he's such a brilliant manager.  

Norwich now have a fucked off LB in their ranks and no doubt, all of their other players who wanted PL moves will take note (Cantwell, Aarons, etc). Good luck to them at finding a club who'll give them what they value him at after we've publicly walked away - I agree he'll find another club but I don't think they'll get more than 12m for him. 

I'm not saying they were obliged to sell to us, but I don't think we'd have walked away unless they were being pretty absurd with their valuation. Noises of "20m and we can start talking" are ridiculous if true. I don't think Liverpool wanted a back and forth saga over a backup LB, and Norwich unfortunately didn't read the room. 

Lastly, poor lad. Im really happy with Tsimikas (he was my preference based on what I've seen and read) but Lewis is a talented British fullback who has publicly gushed over our two British world-class fullbacks and was willing to take a pay cut as in investment in his career. I like the idea of players like that playing for us and I hope he finds an alternative club where he can succeed.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Eh? I disagree - I think they do. I'm sure you've heard Jurgen specifically talking about the importance of good squad morale, harmony and doing the right thing for the player. Some of it is fluff but it's largely the reason he's such a brilliant manager.  

Norwich now have a fucked off LB in their ranks and no doubt, all of their other players who wanted PL moves will take note (Cantwell, Aarons, etc). Good luck to them at finding a club who'll give them what they value him at after we've publicly walked away - I agree he'll find another club but I don't think they'll get more than 12m for him. 

I'm not saying they were obliged to sell to us, but I don't think we'd have walked away unless they were being pretty absurd with their valuation. Noises of "20m and we can start talking" are ridiculous if true. I don't think Liverpool wanted a back and forth saga over a backup LB, and Norwich unfortunately didn't read the room. 

Lastly, poor lad. Im really happy with Tsimikas (he was my preference based on what I've seen and read) but Lewis is a talented British fullback who has publicly gushed over our two British world-class fullbacks and was willing to take a pay cut as in investment in his career. I like the idea of players like that playing for us and I hope he finds an alternative club where he can succeed.

Meh, we do the same thing. Pay a premium price for our players or you're not getting them. They aren't saying Lewis, Cantwell, etc... aren't for sale and can't leave, they're saying pay the fee we want or you're not getting them. No problem with that. It's standard stuff.

And to be honest, we flimflammed the market when we got Robertson for the same money, but nowadays 8m +2 or whatever we bid for a young British player with potential and a long contract was a bit of a piss take bid anyway. 

7 hours ago, The Gaul said:

Yeah, that's their style, they've been doing it since Ferguson left starting with that big lump they signed from Everton. But that's why I mentioned if Dortmund stick to their guns. That's what sporting did last summer and then the mancs bent over in January and I think paid a little more than they would have in the summer. 

What's insane about the Sancho deal is agent fees to the tune of 50million. Zorc did the same with Dembele saying he was part of their squad no matter what and 2 weeks later, he signed for Barca for a record sum. But Dembele also went AWOL which left Dortmund with no choice. Sancho is not exactly pushing for a move so the scums will have to pay the full amount or forget about him. Also reports say Dortmund are pissed off with the scums and have offered Sancho to other interested sides quoting lesser agent fees.

2 hours ago, Bad Red Bull said:

What's insane about the Sancho deal is agent fees to the tune of 50million. Zorc did the same with Dembele saying he was part of their squad no matter what and 2 weeks later, he signed for Barca for a record sum. But Dembele also went AWOL which left Dortmund with no choice. Sancho is not exactly pushing for a move so the scums will have to pay the full amount or forget about him. Also reports say Dortmund are pissed off with the scums and have offered Sancho to other interested sides quoting lesser agent fees.

Wasn't their chat that when we did talk to sancho during this "deal" we told him we couldn't sign him this season due to the covid situation, but we did say if he holds on for another year a deal could be done. 

Am I being delusional or could this have actually happened?? 

14 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Wasn't their chat that when we did talk to sancho during this "deal" we told him we couldn't sign him this season due to the covid situation, but we did say if he holds on for another year a deal could be done. 

Wasn't it Werner that we asked to wait until the end of the window?

But there was some issues over his buyout clause going up that we couldn't agree with Leipzig, then Chelsea stepped in paid the full whack and offered him a massive salary so he signed for them.

That being said, I am sure we will have been chatting to agents of lots of players to lay a bit of ground work should we ever decide to make a move for them.

Dortmund will have been weighing up the options to get best return for selling Sancho, and I'm sure he's been thinking about which clubs he'd prefer to move to, and/or how much weekly wage he wants. 

To me it would make most sense for both Dortmund and Sancho to wait a year so that more clubs might come to the table - but maybe there'll be a bigger drop in revenues than some people expect so a high bid now and big salary offer could have got the job done for the Mancs.

55 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

I don't know if we have spoken to Sancho man. Never read about that anywhere. Am sure we spoke to Werner though, whether with the permission of RBL or not.

6 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

We’ll never sign Sancho. Even if we sell Salah for £150m we won’t sign someone on more wages who’s agent wants £50m commission.

His agent would be our 4th most expensive signing. 

10 hours ago, Lee909 said:

It's a shame for the lad. But I guess the club know if he does well, his agent is quickly knocking on the door for a pay rise and while it's good the lad offered this, in practice it probably doesn't match reality. 

9 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Norwich are a club surely who get their most out of players by making them believe they're a stepping stone to somewhere else? They weren't a club that could do what Fulham did last year and villa this and spend loads of money and at least claim ambition. They pretty much went "we're here for the money and you boys go and put yourself in the shop window". So while Norwich are perfectly entitled to turn down any bid they see fit, I'm pretty sure that has a knock on effect across the entire club. 

2 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Wasn't it Werner that we asked to wait until the end of the window?

No. Red bull had a deadline. We asked him to wait till a similar clause kicked in the following season. The story about was red bull wanted the money then, although it would feel to me Werner wanted to get his move. 

51 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

We’ll never sign Sancho. Even if we sell Salah for £150m we won’t sign someone on more wages who’s agent wants £50m commission.

I think he could wait a year to see what his options are. He's playing at a great club with some of the best young players in the world. If he waits a year, then he is likely to have his pick of a number of top clubs rather than just one. 

I think he would walk to us. I could see FSG doing the deal in 2021 with the fee being covered by Mo or Sadio. A younger and very marketable player. Not saying he will be at Mo ot Sadio's level in 2021, but he is a signing for the next decade. In terms of wages, we won't make him the highest paid player, bit they might work around it bt giving him a hefty sign on fee. Regarding the agent, that is astronomical and a piss take, so that could be a sticky point.