You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

Only seen Ben White once against Ejaria’s reading and he looked a decent footballer, but he didn’t really have to do much defending. A bit of a strange situation at Brighton. Dunk, their captain, is a centre half. They spent £20m on a centre half; Webster, who had a really good season. Duffy is a solid enough defender and you have Ben White coming back. Someone’s gotta go.

2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Only seen Ben White once against Ejaria’s reading and he looked a decent footballer, but he didn’t really have to do much defending. A bit of a strange situation at Brighton. Dunk, their captain, is a centre half. They spent £20m on a centre half; Webster, who had a really good season. Duffy is a solid enough defender and you have Ben White coking back. Someone’s gotta go.

Is that why his surname is white?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I’ve read they’ve had £22m rejected. Ridiculous.

Yes - they’re convinced he loves Leeds that much he’s going to force a move there. 

I suppose it is possible the player might like to play for them in the Premiership, he’d certainly play every week, but no way are Brighton letting him go for that amount. It just makes no sense. A good season in the Premiership and he’s worth double that bid amount, easily. If Nathan Ake has gone for £40+million then Brighton have potentially got a serious asset on their hands. 

My guess is he’ll play for Brighton next season unless somebody puts some huge money on the table and he acts up to make the move happen. 

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

Only seen Ben White once against Ejaria’s reading and he looked a decent footballer, but he didn’t really have to do much defending. A bit of a strange situation at Brighton. Dunk, their captain, is a centre half. They spent £20m on a centre half; Webster, who had a really good season. Duffy is a solid enough defender and you have Ben White coming back. Someone’s gotta go.

Duffy is on his way out. He'a a decent defender and monstrous in the air, but he can't pass to save his life and doesn't suit Potter's style of play at all.

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

The hold up with Gini is apparently over the length of the contract. Doesn't make sense to offer a longer term to a guy who has been more injury prone does it?

Ok, this has gone all internety. My point is that the cost of a player is rarely the biggest factor in whether or not an owner/CEO approves a purchase. The contract and associated items usually is. 

But on your specific point - I don’t know what length contract has been offered to Gini? I’d imagine at best whatever is offered to Thiago would be one year longer.  Given the age difference.

As for being injury prone, he played 37 games last season and 42 the year before. 3 seasons ago he played only just over half the league games, which is poor, but 41 and 42 games the seasons before that, so I don’t think the injury record is as desperate as some are making out. 

But again, that’s not my point.

He’s a truly brilliant player. I’d love him here, but not at the expense of the forward we need. 

1 minute ago, JohnnyH said:

He’s a truly brilliant player. I’d love him here, but not at the expense of the forward we need. 

I agree that wages play a huge part.

If it were one or the other I think Klopp would choose Wiinaldaum - just a hunch about the way he works. 

We have had Gini on relatively low wages - think I read he was the second lowest in the starting 11, maybe only Robertson on less if you count Matip.

I would imagine if we offered Gini the 150k being bandied about for Thiago he would jump at signing that. We won't though.

And I think you are right - there will only be one signing of note, if it is Thiago forget about a decent forward.

3 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Who did we sell to buy him? Oh, Lovren? Didnt people like horus want shut of him anyway?

You try and portray yourself as an older poster, but I'm convinced you're about 12. Grow up. 

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

When I was driving round through the week Talksport this week were convinced Chelsea want dunk. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, RoyHodgeGone said:

If Thiago is independent of Gini then who is going if he's brought in. Milner? He might not want to leave.

Otherwise it would be 8 midfielders not including Grujic or Woodburn.

I think we could see Fabinho as a 4th choice centre back and Ox as a front three option more?

With the new left back coming in, I really can't see Milner getting much game time now.

5 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Milner is what 34 next season hes an experienced squad player now not a regular first 11 player but he's an excellent squad player to have.

He is, but Gini is even better. Klopp has no problem playing him almost anywhere on the field, in any game. Played across the front three, in every midfield spot and CB as well as FB. If both were options off the bench I don't see many instances where Milner would get in before him. Unless he wants to leave I think he gets a new deal.

3 hours ago, aRdja said:

So they have 4 centrebacks? That doesn't seem excessive so I don't see why someone has to leave. 

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Dunk, Webster, White and Duffy are all "first team" CB's. Brighton aren't in Europe so it's a bit excessive. 

Brighton have their own battles in the Premier League so having four centre backs while also being involved in two Cup competitions is about right. If Brighton want to sell, they can but I don't think they have to because of too many players. 

6 hours ago, Horus said:

The reason we can't buy thiago and sell Gini, is that thiago has a touch of the Nabby's about him when it comes to missing games. All it needs is some clogger from across the park to put one on him and he could miss most of the season. 

According to that tranfrmarkt site, Gini was last injured in 2014/15!