You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

23 minutes ago, Horus said:

Now do Villa, Brighton, Bournemouth, and Everton. Chelsea have spent £40m more than us over the last 5 years, or a Thiago without sales. Spurs hardly buy anyone and their net spend is equal to ours over the last 5 years, and Arsenal have spent around £50m more than us over the last 5 years.

Im not understanding what your point is here. Villa gambled their entire PL income at the beginning of the season in an effort to cement their PL position.They achieved that in the very last game of the season.

Everton have the 4th highest transfer spend in the PL since 2016, havent finished 4th since and finished 12th last season. It's a fallacy that spurs hardly buy anyone as this site shows and going back 4 or 5 years.

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/tottenham-hotspur/2020/6/

In recent seasons chelsea have sold hazard, courtois, higuain and morata to name a few. They're still selling to buy.

12 minutes ago, Horus said:

Arsenal have 3 players making more than our highest paid player, one of which earns over double.

And delivering not a lot of success in the process.

2 minutes ago, Horus said:

I'm not arguing that they're a great run club or anything, and I only posted because dockers uses every attempt possible to make the same repetitive claims about what others are saying/expecting. 

You should check your facts. And it's repetitive people making out we're the only club selling to buy especially when all the big names who've left the club wanted out for whatever reason.

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

You should check your facts. And it's repetitive people making out we're the only club selling to buy especially when all the big names who've left the club wanted out for whatever reason.

My facts were all accurate, and you keep misrepresenting what most of us that have an issue with the owners are actually saying. 

Just now, Horus said:

My facts were all accurate, and you keep misrepresenting what most of us that have an issue with the owners are actually saying. 

Spurs hardly buy anyone? Yeah ok. Not to mention the spin on chelsea spending a 'thiago's' worth while ignoring the players they have moved on. There's no misrepresentation from me, pal. Just the facts.

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

Spurs hardly buy anyone? Yeah ok. Not to mention the spin on chelsea spending a 'thiago's' worth while ignoring the players they have moved on. There's no misrepresentation from me, pal. Just the facts.

Spurs went nearly 2 years without buying players, and the chelsea figure was based on net spend, thus allowing for sales. Not sure where you're going with this. 

6 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Just reading that about Lewis/Tsimikas. 

I think the Greek looks the better player. He could arguably fill in wide in the front 3 if push came to shove too. Only in a proper emergency though. 

He's fucking rapid. 

Lovely weaker foot too...

5 minutes ago, Horus said:

Spurs went nearly 2 years without buying players, and the chelsea figure was based on net spend, thus allowing for sales. Not sure where you're going with this. 

Yes, and you'd be kicking off about Liverpool's owners not buying anyone for nearly 2 years but spurs are an example you want to use? And you're bothered about chelsea's net spend now and still ignore the major players they sold to buy?

No, Im not sure where you're going except wanting to beat the anti FSG drum yet again. Presumably you're ok with us selling Lovren to buy the Greek lad if that turns out to be the case?

46 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

You write the transfer off over the years of the contract. In this case Baz is correct - we would not give him more than three years at his age. He would be one of the most expensive players per year at the club.

You do indeed. That’s why I said 5 or 6 years. But I’m forgetting his age of course. You are right, it’d be written down over the period. He’s 29, it’d probably be 4 years I’d imagine? That’s fine. The salary and image rights stuff will be the big cost still I think. 

1 minute ago, JohnnyH said:

You do indeed. That’s why I said 5 or 6 years. But I’m forgetting his age of course. You are right, it’d be written down over the period. He’s 29, it’d probably be 4 years I’d imagine? That’s fine. The salary and image rights stuff will be the big cost still I think. 

The hold up with Gini is apparently over the length of the contract. Doesn't make sense to offer a longer term to a guy who has been more injury prone does it?

7 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yes, and you'd be kicking off about Liverpool's owners not buying anyone for nearly 2 years but spurs are an example you want to use? And you're bothered about chelsea's net spend now and still ignore the major players they sold to buy?

No, Im not sure where you're going except wanting to beat the anti FSG drum yet again. Presumably you're ok with us selling Lovren to buy the Greek lad if that turns out to be the case?

Dude, out of nowhere you made a post misrepresenting a fair few of us. No one was in discussion with you, you just came out and made a dig for absolutely no reason, like a fucking bellend. I was happily just reading until you got yourself involved.  

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Just reading that about Lewis/Tsimikas. 

I think the Greek looks the better player. He could arguably fill in wide in the front 3 if push came to shove too. Only in a proper emergency though. 

He's fucking rapid

I’m from Dublin. This just means he’s really good. 

I know there’s desperation for us to sign players and a lot of it is warranted but I like the way the club/Edwards goes about it.  We’ve proven time and time again that we will walk away.  You have to be willing to do this if you don’t want to get ripped off but the ripple effect on future transfers is even more important.  There’s a reason why clubs laugh their tits off every time Man United say they won’t pay any more money.  Everybody knows they will do.  You just sit tight and wait for them to panic.  They obviously have a lot more money than us but they haven’t got an infinite pot like City.  With everyone big signing they make their wage bill spirals.  It might only seem like a few extra million for Lewis but that’s not the point.

We could never do what United do anyway and used to make countless shite mid range signings which burned all of our money away.  The one thing I’m happy that Klopp and the team cut out was those shite useless signings.

• Upvote 1