You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

I'd sign Thiago and keep Wijnaldum and let him leave for free. Unless he wants to leave right now. It's hard to know what the situation is. If it's a like for like replacement, Thiago is the better player, but it's tough to replace someone as available and tactically solid as Wijnaldum. He clearly provides a balance to the side that we'll have to replace.

I bet what we'd do is go 4-2-3-1. Two deeper midfielders and Henderson on the right. That would suit Fabinho, Thiago and Keita well and Henderson basically covers the right side already anyway. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'd sign Thiago and keep Wijnaldum and let him leave for free. Unless he wants to leave right now. It's hard to know what the situation is. If it's a like for like replacement, Thiago is the better player, but it's tough to replace someone as available and tactically solid as Wijnaldum. He clearly provides a balance to the side that we'll have to replace.

I bet what we'd do is go 4-2-3-1. Two deeper midfielders and Henderson on the right. That would suit Fabinho, Thiago and Keita well and Henderson basically covers the right side already anyway. 

Yeah and Minamino is a natural AM... so the system would suit him on paper. Ox and Shaq arse also more wide midfielders than wingers. I wouldn’t be against it at all. 

My thinking is Klopp is trying to reduce the running required to play for us. The 4-3 game at home to City and the 2-2 draw with Spurs were both games we would have lost if they lasted another 5 minutes. We were crawling off the pitch  both days with nothing left in the tank. Since then we have reigned it in massively, 15 or 20 minute bursts of madness every now and again but generally in the games against non top 6 we are happy to just control games and show patience. We settle for 2-0 rather than pumping teams like City do. Thiago would take the control model to the next level, help us conserve the legs for the big games and really blitz the likes of City, Barca etc. 

The reason we can't buy thiago and sell Gini, is that thiago has a touch of the Nabby's about him when it comes to missing games. All it needs is some clogger from across the park to put one on him and he could miss most of the season. 

32 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Chelsea to sign Havertz and go for Ben White. Are they just monitoring our interests. See who Liverpool are rumoured to want but can't afford and buy them.

Fwank's having to sell Rudiger to fund this supposed White move. Strange how people bring up our 'sell to buy' but ignore it when chelsea, arsenal and spurs to name a few are doing it.

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

The main issue isn’t usually the price of the player. You can write that down over 5 or 6 years.

You write the transfer off over the years of the contract. In this case Baz is correct - we would not give him more than three years at his age. He would be one of the most expensive players per year at the club.

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Fwank's having to sell Rudiger to fund this supposed White move. Strange how people bring up our 'sell to buy' but ignore it when chelsea, arsenal and spurs to name a few are doing it.

Now do Villa, Brighton, Bournemouth, and Everton. Chelsea have spent £40m more than us over the last 5 years, or a Thiago without sales. Spurs hardly buy anyone and their net spend is equal to ours over the last 5 years, and Arsenal have spent around £50m more than us over the last 5 years.

1 minute ago, Horus said:

Arsenal have 3 players making more than our highest paid player, one of which earns over double.

And he has been sitting in the stands for nearly two seasons. Not sure Arsenal are a good example of a well run business.

I think we are still at the top of the league for players/staff wage total.

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

And he has been sitting in the stands for nearly two seasons. Not sure Arsenal are a good example of a well run business.

He's had one eye on the title though. If he sits facing a sort of North easterly direction. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I'm not arguing that they're a great run club or anything, and I only posted because dockers uses every attempt possible to make the same repetitive claims about what others are saying/expecting. 

• Upvote 1