You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

The echo seem to be pushing the idea that thiago is all about if Gini signs or not. They've been slipping it into other articles for days and this morning they're running a story pretty much saying we won't let the Can situation happen again and thiago gives us the option. It does make you wonder if all this news has been designed to put pressure on Gini. I expect a new round of thiago stories this week if there's no movement on the contract. 

Gini for me.  We’ve just walked the league with him playing the majority of games after him also playing a vital role in the champions league win the year before.  We only went out this year because our keeper got injured.  We’ve got a formula that works incredibly well.  Adding players like Thiago is great but I wouldn’t be letting anybody that played a significant part to last season leave.

• Upvote 6

25 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

If you had a straight choice between Gini or Thiago who would you choose.

Thiago has a higher ‘ceiling’ but Gini has been real dependable. I think we have enough space for both. Lallana has left and Jimmy is getting on. 

Would be ludicrous not to sign him for the fee mentioned, it’s pennies.

Thiago ran the show in midfield last night, if we had him in our side the front front would be even more deadly next season, I made a point of watching the game last night just to watch him, he was brilliant.

I hope there’s a way we can keep Gini and sign Thiago but if Gini is running his contract down get rid, I’m surprised there’s been nothing mentioned by anyone about that situation

It's a tough one. Gini's played well and been instrumental in our recent trophy haul. There again, there's something we're not akin to why he isnt in a hurry to sign a new contract.

Alcantara is no stranger to winning either. He's a little younger than Gini and the £27m if it is that and Bayern arent going to play silly buggers, it isnt a lot by todays standards.

But part of me also knows if you keep the same players year in, year out, as they get used to winning trophies at one club, the hunger seems to wane however unintentional that may be.

Jurgen shouldnt fall into the trap of remaining loyal to the players just because they have won things together. Neither does it mean you suddenly start selling all the players just because of the trophies.

I think the club's handmay be forced this window if Gini doesnt sign a contract. He's free to talk to other European clubs from 1 January and leave on a free in a year's time.

He has the right to rundown hiscontract. Similarly,Liverpool have a right to move him on. We cannot lose another quality player on a free. Im surprised the club has let it get to this situation after the Can episode a couple of years back.

Among all the nonsense on this thread you have to admire the positive angles posters can find to us being skint. the latest being that the lack of activity down to all our targets still in the 2019-2020 CL so have to wait to they get knocked out before negotiations start. so we targetting players from BM, Barca, City ??? and Lyon. I will be a good window when those deals come off.

1 minute ago, clockspeed said:

Among all the nonsense on this thread you have to admire the positive angles posters can find to us being skint. the latest being that the lack of activity down to all our targets still in the 2019-2020 CL so have to wait to they get knocked out before negotiations start. so we targetting players from BM, Barca, City ??? and Lyon. I will be a good window when those deals come off.

Thiago is a Bayern Munich player currently.

5 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Positive self talk can achieve many things, but I don't think it can help you become a window.

43 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

Would be ludicrous not to sign him for the fee mentioned, it’s pennies.

Thiago ran the show in midfield last night, if we had him in our side the front front would be even more deadly next season, I made a point of watching the game last night just to watch him, he was brilliant.

I hope there’s a way we can keep Gini and sign Thiago but if Gini is running his contract down get rid, I’m surprised there’s been nothing mentioned by anyone about that situation

I'm no fan of our owners, but let's be fair 30m with absolutely no resale value is not buttons. In fact at his age it wouldn't be a shock of we only offered him 3 years, so that's 10m a year before wages, which I assume will add between 5-10m per year. I'm not saying klopp hasn't earned the right to make those types of signings, in fact he absolutely has, but we shouldn't dismiss the cost of thiago as nothing as in many ways because of the lack of resale value he'd be more expensive than many out there. He'd certainly be as expensive as Werner would have been. 

3 hours ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Liverpool’s interest in Kostas Tsimikas is concrete. The English Champions offered €12M (£10,85M) for him but the bid was rejected, Olympiacos want €18M (£16,27M). [@Sport24

I hope that’s true. He looked terrific against Wolves.

One thing to consider is that if any of Klopp's targets are still involved in Europe with their clubs, he won't want to disrupt things by having the club announce agreements to sign them. Remember at Dortmund how pissed off he was when Bayern announced they were signing Gotze just weeks before the end of the season in 2013, and before the two sides were to face each other in the CL final? He would have noted the effect it had on morale. Soon afterwards, Lewandowski decided not to renew his contract and let it run down, leaving for Bayern on a Bosman the following year.

Another thing to consider is that Peter Krawietz is on record as saying that they are preparing a tactical tweak for next season. Whether that is to the team shape, a change in attacking/defensive emphasis, or just another string to our bow to handle the fact we're a marked target now that we've won the league, it suggests that we will have a different look about us next season. Klopp and co will know which players on our books are and are not suited to these plans

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

I'm no fan of our owners, but let's be fair 30m with absolutely no resale value is not buttons. In fact at his age it wouldn't be a shock of we only offered him 3 years, so that's 10m a year before wages, which I assume will add between 5-10m per year. I'm not saying klopp hasn't earned the right to make those types of signings, in fact he absolutely has, but we shouldn't dismiss the cost of thiago as nothing as in many ways because of the lack of resale value he'd be more expensive than many out there. He'd certainly be as expensive as Werner would have been. 

By today’s standards it’s not a lot is it, Every signing doesn’t have to be about resale value, he could come in make a huge difference so the value would be worth it’s weight in gold if we continued to win trophies, not only that he’s marketable so I’d imagine if he signed loads would buy the top with his name, commercially it would be a good move too imo.

When you look at what he’s won too, we have a player who’s 29 and won 9 league titles, two CL’s who begging to come here and work with Klopp, his influence on some of the younger boys like Clarkson and Jones would be massive.

There are so many positive factors to this signing, it’s a no brainer.

18 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

By today’s standards it’s not a lot is it, Every signing doesn’t have to be about resale value, he could come in make a huge difference so the value would be worth it’s weight in gold if we continued to win trophies, not only that he’s marketable so I’d imagine if he signed loads would buy the top with his name, commercially it would be a good move too imo.

When you look at what he’s won too, we have a player who’s 29 and won 9 league titles, two CL’s who begging to come here and work with Klopp, his influence on some of the younger boys like Clarkson and Jones would be massive.

There are so many positive factors to this signing, it’s a no brainer.

I don't argue with that. I'm just saying 15-20m per season is not "buttons". It's a substantial lay out because there's no resale value. 

24 minutes ago, Trumo said:

One thing to consider is that if any of Klopp's targets are still involved in Europe with their clubs, he won't want to disrupt things by having the club announce agreements to sign them. Remember at Dortmund how pissed off he was when Bayern announced they were signing Gotze just weeks before the end of the season in 2013, and before the two sides were to face each other in the CL final? He would have noted the effect it had on morale. Soon afterwards, Lewandowski decided not to renew his contract and let it run down, leaving for Bayern on a Bosman the following year.

Another thing to consider is that Peter Krawietz is on record as saying that they are preparing a tactical tweak for next season. Whether that is to the team shape, a change in attacking/defensive emphasis, or just another string to our bow to handle the fact we're a marked target now that we've won the league, it suggests that we will have a different look about us next season. Klopp and co will know which players on our books are and are not suited to these plans

To be fair Munich are shouting from the roof tops about wanting to sell thiago as he's in his last year and won't sign a new deal. It could be argued it would actually bring some stability around the situation if it was just put to bed. 

The main issue isn’t usually the price of the player. You can write that down over 5 or 6 years. It’s the contract. That’s where the money needs to be. Getting rid of Lovren and Lallana frees up good wages.  

Gini will have already had the take it or leave it final offer. If he’s leaving it and wants one last big move then that’s fine. We move him on. It’ll only happen once the CL is done though. If that happens then I’d love it to be Thiago replacing him. 

Who knows, maybe Thiago and Gini will end up effectively swapping clubs!

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I saw a YouTube video where a German journalist and bayern fan said if Liverpool buy Thiago they will win everything. Seems he is massively rated.

I saw him play on the flesh last season and he was absolutely superb. Hendo had a cracking game as well.