You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

5 minutes ago, Moo said:

No it has not.

Many people have been questioning their ambition and their cheap practices for years, have you been living under a rock?  In fact the criticism of them has died down loads, despite the Werner failure, because of what Klopp has achieved.  

By the FSG die-hards you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. If you criticise them when we're rubbish you get told you wouldn't criticise if things were going better on the pitch, if you criticise them when we're winning you get told you don't appreciate winning.  Or worse, that you don't appreciate Klopp's genius, which is bullshit because it's precisely because you do appreciate Klopp's genius that you wonder what he could achieve with better resources. 

I don't think anyone is asking for millions upon millions to be splurged on big names for the sake of it, just that one or two problem areas are given the attention they need in order to sustain and maybe even build on the success we've had.  Some people make out that's too much to ask, and frankly it feels like they won't be happy until any criticism of FSG stops.

Not at all. FSG have made mistakes, some really big ones. But for the most part they have done their best to correct any mistakes that can be corrected. Running any worldwide organisation is an extremely tough thing to do and not everyone will be happy with the decisions that are made. But as far as I can see, they have not asset stripped the club like Hicks and Gillette did and they have appointed a coach who wants to be there while being more than competent at the job. 

Roy Hodgson was appointed by the last owners and they signed generally awful players. That's a lack of ambition. 

FSG for me are showing nothing like that and seem to be in it for watching the team succeed. If as a business it succeeds then that's all the better for them. 

Unfortunately modern football is very much a worldwide business and that's the same throughout the sport. In the grand scheme of things seeing what is happening with other clubs, I say their report card is pretty good. 

I wonder what fans of other clubs in England would say of our owners compared to theirs? Arsenal? Tottenham? Do they show a level of ambition? 

Liverpool are keeping hold of their best players. That's something which is definitely different from times past. 

24 minutes ago, Moo said:

No it has not.

Many people have been questioning their ambition and their cheap practices for years, have you been living under a rock?  In fact the criticism of them has died down loads, despite the Werner failure, because of what Klopp has achieved.  

By the FSG die-hards you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. If you criticise them when we're rubbish you get told you wouldn't criticise if things were going better on the pitch, if you criticise them when we're winning you get told you don't appreciate winning.  Or worse, that you don't appreciate Klopp's genius, which is bullshit because it's precisely because you do appreciate Klopp's genius that you wonder what he could achieve with better resources. 

I don't think anyone is asking for millions upon millions to be splurged on big names for the sake of it, just that one or two problem areas are given the attention they need in order to sustain and maybe even build on the success we've had.  Some people make out that's too much to ask, and frankly it feels like they won't be happy until any criticism of FSG stops.

And people are asking the owners to invest millions. In fact reading your whole post shows there is inconsistency as apparently FSG lack ambition for not spending money and being cheap. How many 'expensive' players have Liverpool signed? 

I think there are folks who are pointing out that we never operated at the top of the world table in terms of transfer fees. To go out and buy a world class player is not easy. Our top spunk (say Collymore) was never more than half of what top fees in the world were at the time. 

Prior to Alison I can't think of a time where we ever signed a player who could have been in the conversation as the best in their position. That includes Van Dijk as his status has doubled since he has been at Liverpool.

Suarez was probably not in the top 10 strikers when we bought him. Not sure you could even put Kenny in a top 10 at the time. Torres might have been in with a shout.

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think there are folks who are pointing out that we never operated at the top of the world table in terms of transfer fees. To go out and buy a world class player is not easy. Our top spunk (say Collymore) was never more than half of what top fees in the world were at the time. 

Prior to Alison I can't think of a time where we ever signed a player who could have been in the conversation as the best in their position. That includes Van Dijk as his status has doubled since he has been at Liverpool.

Suarez was probably not in the top 10 strikers when we bought him. Not sure you could even put Kenny in a top 10 at the time. Torres might have been in with a shout.

That's very true. 

4 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

And people are asking the owners to invest millions. In fact reading your whole post shows there is inconsistency as apparently FSG lack ambition for not spending money and being cheap. 

Eh? Even the most basic player these days will cost a few million so of course millions would be spent who is disputing that?  I'm disputing the suggestion that anyone criticising FSG want us to act like Man City or Chelsea hence my full sentence being "I don't think anyone is asking for millions upon millions to be splurged on big names for the sake of it, just that one or two problem areas are given the attention they need..."

• Upvote 1

I think it has become obvious that the club are bringing in a left and center back and have been aggressively monitoring Thiago. Pretty sure those three will happen. 

Then it is wait and see what happens re: Origi, Shaqiri, Wilson - we may not have a chocie there if no one comes in for that lot

1 minute ago, Moo said:

Eh? Even the most basic player these days will cost a few million so of course millions would be spent who is disputing that?  I'm disputing the suggestion that anyone criticising FSG want us to act like Man City or Chelsea hence my full sentence being "I don't think anyone is asking for millions upon millions to be splurged on big names for the sake of it, just that one or two problem areas are given the attention they need..."

I'm convinced those positions (left back, to a lesser extent centreback and possibly some kind of midfield/attack option) will be addressed so we are in agreement on that. But there are people on here who are using Man City and Chelsea as the transfer measuring stick. I'm pretty sure that you're not so likelihood is we are discussing on a similar wavelength. Improve the squad? Absolutely! Make top drawer signings to supplement our first 11? That's going to be a lot harder. Sign players to actually push out the first 11? That's going to be really, really difficult when other teams are in much more need of signing them.

FSG have done OK. Klopp has done amazing. As have the players. but none of these are beyond criticism. It' just important that any criticism is constructive and justified.

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Maybe I'm blind to it for whatever reason but I just can't see these calls, certainly not with any degree of regularity, for us to go and break different transfer records - even though we did do that with Alisson and VVD, and several players in the past.   

Is this what people are seeing elsewhere, Twitter etc?  I feel like what people are reading elsewhere is possibly bleeding into this forum and being used against moderate posters.

3 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Has the transfer window closed already? 

No obviously, and that's usually the other point of defence for FSG die-hards who were saying the same last year and look what happened then.

But by all means ask Dave to shut down the thread until we sign someone if you think this thread shouldn't be posted in until there's activity or until the window closes.

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think it has become obvious that the club are bringing in a left and center back and have been aggressively monitoring Thiago. Pretty sure those three will happen. 

Then it is wait and see what happens re: Origi, Shaqiri, Wilson - we may not have a chocie there if no one comes in for that lot

Would be made up if they happened with not a transfer record in sight!

1 minute ago, Moo said:

Maybe I'm blind to it for whatever reason but I just can't see these calls, certainly not with any degree of regularity, for us to go and break different transfer records - even though we did do that with Alisson and VVD, and several players in the past.   

Is this what people are seeing elsewhere, Twitter etc?  I feel like what people are reading elsewhere is possibly bleeding into this forum and being used against moderate posters.

The "calls" have been for someone who can get into the first 11 as far as I can tell. That is difficult to imagine without it being an established world class player. Thiago might do that. Anyone else that would - that'd be muy caro.

We need a back up LB and a fourth choice CB. I think they are aware of it and have a couple of options that improve us. 

Klopp is going to give Minamino a chance upfront and a fourth forward is not going to happen until we deal with Origi, Shaqiri and Wilson. 

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

We both know it is going to have to.

It's going to have to happen?  Do we know that?  If so you're more confident of it than me.  Can I ask where that confidence comes from? Genuinely interested.

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The "calls" have been for someone who can get into the first 11 as far as I can tell. That is difficult to imagine without it being an established world class player. Thiago might do that. Anyone else that would - that'd be muy caro.

We need a back up LB and a fourth choice CB. I think they are aware of it and have a couple of options that improve us. 

Klopp is going to give Minamino a chance upfront and a fourth forward is not going to happen until we deal with Origi, Shaqiri and Wilson. 

I think the bulk of the calls have been for someone to come into the 11 on a number of occasions, so we can rest and cover injuries, without a massive drop off. 

So yes that has to be a very very good player, but it won't have to be someone at their peak. 

Does anyone want any of the first choice 11 to be usurped?  Unless it's for one of the top 3-5 players in the world I can't imagine that being the case, and most over a certain age will know that's not realistic so won't be calling for it.

30 minutes ago, Moo said:

No obviously, and that's usually the other point of defence for FSG die-hards who were saying the same last year and look what happened then.

But by all means ask Dave to shut down the thread until we sign someone if you think this thread shouldn't be posted in until there's activity or until the window closes.

Err, we won the title?

All am trying to say is wait till end of transfer window before saying we aren't signing anybody. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Arnaud said:

Remember some people got mad we failed for Thomas Lemar, who was bought 80 M£ or something.

The player who would be perfect for us is Griezmann. He scores, he had assists, he defends, he runs.

But this won’t happen, he’s Spanish in his heart and a United fan as a Kid.

Too bad really, he would be a great   option  from the bench as Bobby’s back up !

And he's spent the last 5 years bigging up Liverpool:

https://www.empireofthekop.com/2019/07/22/griezmann-explains-why-he-loves-liverpool-despite-signing-for-barcelona/

https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-antoine-griezmann-admires-liverpool-because-of-their-fans-20190723

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/antoine-griezmann-barcelona-liverpool-premier-league-title-arsenal-alexandre-lacazette

If we wanted him he'd be here in a flash.

14 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

If we wanted him he'd be here in a flash.

He is the perfect example - fantastic player. REALLY expensive player.

He does not get into our starting front three. He would be an example of a guy where there is not such a steep "dropoff."

REALLY expensive.

I’d have thought so. Do we accept that as an improvement? In theory I’d say so  because I think he makes a difference in a way that Gini doesn’t but as a midfielder in our league he’s an unknown quantity, 29 and with a few questions about his injury history. Will he crumble under a Klopp regime? Gini is proven in our team and he’s consistent and he’s a fit fucker. 

1 hour ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Err, we won the title?

All am trying to say is wait till end of transfer window before saying we aren't signing anybody. 

I agree, that's why I'm not saying it.  I am expressing doubts that we'll sign what we need.  In the the transfer thread.  Where there's little other activity.

Hopefully my doubts are completely unfounded.