You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

20 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

If we bring in cover at left back, I feel fairly certain we'll go with the 3 centre backs we have and use sepp/fabinho/Henderson as cover. With Williams also covering at right back it means Gomez has no full back responsibility except in extreme cases. If we buy Lewis (or this Greek lad), I feel they're the replacement for lovren, so a cash neutral transaction, a slight wage reduction and a slight rebalancing of responsibilities in the squad. 

Fixing one problem and creating another.   

22 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

If we bring in cover at left back, I feel fairly certain we'll go with the 3 centre backs we have and use sepp/fabinho/Henderson as cover. With Williams also covering at right back it means Gomez has no full back responsibility except in extreme cases. If we buy Lewis (or this Greek lad), I feel they're the replacement for lovren, so a cash neutral transaction, a slight wage reduction and a slight rebalancing of responsibilities in the squad. 

Sepp is nowhere near mate, Hoever is better.

21 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

Based on Matip injury record (and I am a fan of his) this is a perilous approach to the new season. Not sold on Sepp was kind off hoping Hoever would be getting close to 4th CB .

4 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Sepp is nowhere near mate, Hoever is better.

Maybe hoever then, I think they're probably both not ready. I think both would likely still be behind fabinho and probably even Henderson depending who's available to play 6 if fabinho is out. 

3 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Based on Matip injury record (and I am a fan of his) this is a perilous approach to the new season. Not sold on Sepp was kind off hoping Hoever would be getting close to 4th CB .

You're probably right. But I think it's how klopp approaches things. He loads up on midfielders and expects them to be able to fill in in defensive and forward lines. If there is no requirement for anyone to play full back from midfield, Gomez has no requirement to do the same, then I reckon he'll swallow that risk. Neither Gomez or matip have done well long term with injuries, although I do hope Gomez will settle down now he's probably finished growing and we allow him to play just centre back and not put his body under pressure at right back. Many of his injuries have come in the full back positions, including impact ones. But he's a big lad, so there'll be some force when he's charging around at full pelt down the wing, increasing the likelihood of impact injuries too. 

10 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

Maybe hoever then, I think they're probably both not ready. I think both would likely still be behind fabinho and probably even Henderson depending who's available to play 6 if fabinho is out. 

You're probably right. But I think it's how klopp approaches things. He loads up on midfielders and expects them to be able to fill in in defensive and forward lines. If there is no requirement for anyone to play full back from midfield, Gomez has no requirement to do the same, then I reckon he'll swallow that risk. Neither Gomez or matip have done well long term with injuries, although I do hope Gomez will settle down now he's probably finished growing and we allow him to play just centre back and not put his body under pressure at right back. Many of his injuries have come in the full back positions, including impact ones. But he's a big lad, so there'll be some force when he's charging around at full pelt down the wing, increasing the likelihood of impact injuries too. 

Don't think Gomes is necessarily "injury prone" like Matip/Lovren. He has had that poor impact injury on his ankle and I think you are correct he was playing full back at the time. 

31 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Don't think Gomes is necessarily "injury prone" like Matip/Lovren. He has had that poor impact injury on his ankle and I think you are correct he was playing full back at the time. 

We can probably argue all day if he's injury prone or not, for instance I feel pretty sure his size probably doesn't help him in high speed impact situations. However, what is certain he has a poor injury record and there's nothing to point to to suggest we could get an injury free season out of him. So going in with just him and matip for that right sides slot represents some risk (and assumes VVD's continuing invincibility). But I just feel it's one we'll likely take and I think there's a number of reasons those risks are mitigated - that being better cover in the full back areas than at the start of last season (assuming we get a LB), milner becomes a full time midfield body, allowing the option of fabinho or Henderson slipping back and finally maybe some of the injuries Gomez has got come from what full back does to his body rather than centre back. 

• Upvote 1

I think Klopp will get lb sorted then look at doing the Thiago deal knowing that Fabinho can be the auxiliary 4th choice cb and Thiago will bolster the midfield. I think Gini, Hendo, Thiago, Keita , Milner, Ox, and Jones can still make up an effective midfield in Fab’s absence. In fact I’d say if we do sign another cb then there’s no chance of us bringing in Thiago. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, scudger99 said:

Being current World Club, European and Premiership champions doesn't excite you then ?

If Transfer Top Trumps is more what interests you then prepare for a miserable transfer window.

Incredible isn't it? Best team in Europe, then the World, then England. Is that enough? Is it hell as like. We need BiG nAmE sIgNiNgS otherwise it's all pointless.

Hysterical fannies.

7 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

you wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes under Paisley.

All those titles? I would have been on this forum demanding he goes in the Summer. Just not on, winning everything.

Edit: He even had the nerve to win the League Cup three years in a row. That's just taking the piss.

I am delighted we have all these trophies and therefore want the squad strengthening so we can maximise our chance of retaining them/winning more. 

This idea that wanting to act in the transfer market makes you some miserable trophy hating bedwetter is getting beyond tedious. 

• Upvote 10

4 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I am delighted we have all these trophies and therefore want the squad strengthening so we can maximise our chance of retaining them/winning more. 

This idea that wanting to act in the transfer market makes you some miserable trophy hating bedwetter is getting beyond tedious. 

I want the club to act in the transfer market, I just don't see that the owners are the problem here. If they can get the players they want for reasonable value, what's wrong with that?

That's what used to happen in the 1970s and 1980s when we had boss bosses. If it worked then, I'm pretty sure it can work now we have a boss boss again.

27 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

I want the club to act in the transfer market, I just don't see that the owners are the problem here. If they can get the players they want for reasonable value, what's wrong with that?

That's what used to happen in the 1970s and 1980s when we had boss bosses. If it worked then, I'm pretty sure it can work now we have a boss boss again.

I'm not really sure it worked they way you are portraying at all. We bought most years, in fact I'd be shocked if a year went buy where we weren't adding to the squad. And that was in the days where you were using 15 players a season maximum and put one player on the bench, but in actual fact most of the work was done by 12 players. The sizes of squads today, plus the physical demands due to increased physicality of players means it would seem a fair assesment we would be needing twice as much playing staff turnover as in those days. Klopp has said he'd like to add to the team. Werner has told us we have a virtuous circle where success on the pitch, provides success off the pitch, which allows us to reinvest more on the pitch. The reality is as soon as we've established ourselves in the top 4 and increased revenue, we stopped spending. The way the club is behaving in the transfer market couldn't be further away than it was under the days of Bob Paisley imo. 

Edit... Continuous investment in a team that was English or European champions throught this period. 

Peter McDonnell Bury Unknown July 1974
Phil Neal Northampton £66,000 9 October 1974
Terry McDermott Newcastle £175,000 13 November 1974
Joey Jones Wrexham £110,000 July 1975
David Johnson Ipswich £200,000 12 August 1976
Alan Hansen Partick Thistle £100,000 5 May 1977
Kenny Dalglish Celtic £440,000 10 August 1977
Steve Ogrizovic Chesterfield £70,000 October 1977
Graeme Souness Middlesbrough £352,000 10 January 1978
Kevin Sheedy Hereford £80,000 13 July 1978
Alan Kennedy Newcastle £330,000 13 August 1978
Frank McGarvey St Mirren £300,000 May 1979
Avi Cohen Maccabi Tel Aviv £200,000 July 1979
Ronnie Whelan Home Farm Free 19 September 1979
Richard Money Fulham £50,000 May 1980
Ian Rush Chester £300,000 1 May 1980
Bruce Grobbelaar Vancouver Whitecaps £250,000 17 March 1981
Craig Johnston Middlesbrough £650,000 3 April 1981
Mark Lawrenson Brighton £900,000 August 1981
Steve Nicol Ayr United £300,000 26 October 1981
John McGregor Queen's Park Free June 1982
Bob Wardle Shrewsbury Swap 11 August 1982
David Hodgson Middlesbrough £450,000 12 August 1982
David West Dorchester £15,000 1983
Jim Beglin Shamrock Rovers £20,000 May 1983

47 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Especially so given that the only time we've won major honors in the past 15 years is after we brought in two major transfers in Alison and VVD.

What people are forgetting about Ox is that this season was always going to be a recovery one. He had a very bad injury. I still think he's at his best driving through the middle and shooting but let's give him another season to see where he is.

He might really benefit from a good pre-season

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Gaul said:

I'm not really sure it worked they way you are portraying at all. We bought most years, in fact I'd be shocked if a year went buy where we weren't adding to the squad. And that was in the days where you were using 15 players a season maximum and put one player on the bench, but in actual fact most of the work was done by 12 players. The sizes of squads today, plus the physical demands due to increased physicality of players means it would seem a fair assesment we would be needing twice as much playing staff turnover as in those days. Klopp has said he'd like to add to the team. Werner has told us we have a virtuous circle where success on the pitch, provides success off the pitch, which allows us to reinvest more on the pitch. The reality is as soon as we've established ourselves in the top 4 and increased revenue, we stopped spending. The way the club is behaving in the transfer market couldn't be further away than it was under the days of Bob Paisley imo. 

Edit... Continuous investment in a team that was English or European champions throught this period. 

Peter McDonnell Bury Unknown July 1974
Phil Neal Northampton £66,000 9 October 1974
Terry McDermott Newcastle £175,000 13 November 1974
Joey Jones Wrexham £110,000 July 1975
David Johnson Ipswich £200,000 12 August 1976
Alan Hansen Partick Thistle £100,000 5 May 1977
Kenny Dalglish Celtic £440,000 10 August 1977
Steve Ogrizovic Chesterfield £70,000 October 1977
Graeme Souness Middlesbrough £352,000 10 January 1978
Kevin Sheedy Hereford £80,000 13 July 1978
Alan Kennedy Newcastle £330,000 13 August 1978
Frank McGarvey St Mirren £300,000 May 1979
Avi Cohen Maccabi Tel Aviv £200,000 July 1979
Ronnie Whelan Home Farm Free 19 September 1979
Richard Money Fulham £50,000 May 1980
Ian Rush Chester £300,000 1 May 1980
Bruce Grobbelaar Vancouver Whitecaps £250,000 17 March 1981
Craig Johnston Middlesbrough £650,000 3 April 1981
Mark Lawrenson Brighton £900,000 August 1981
Steve Nicol Ayr United £300,000 26 October 1981
John McGregor Queen's Park Free June 1982
Bob Wardle Shrewsbury Swap 11 August 1982
David Hodgson Middlesbrough £450,000 12 August 1982
David West Dorchester £15,000 1983
Jim Beglin Shamrock Rovers £20,000 May 1983

43 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

@The Gaul

Amazing how many of those top players were in their teens or just @ 20 when we got them

This was the point I was making - some of those players were brought in to replace top players and were signed to come straight into the team. Kenny Dalglish and Graeme Souness being examples. Other players were signed as prospects - some went one to become good/great players, some didn't. After the 1980s when the club suffered 30 years without a title, Liverpool probably broke the transfer record more times than most if not all other clubs. Dean Saunders, John Scales and Phil Babb spring to mind. These were signings to come in straight away and mostly they flattered to deceive.

Sure we needed less players then and players cost less and had less wages so the standards were certainly different. But during those 30 years all clubs had the same problems but the League was always won by a team other than Liverpool - even though we were signing players every year. Problem was, so was everyone else.

Right now, we are on the perch and it's now up to other clubs to buy to improve. Who knows, perhaps the club's plan is to allow the other clubs to spend themselves out and then any players left will have no other clubs to barter against.

We are the best team in England, other teams need to play catch up. Perhaps they will catch up next year. Perhaps they won't. But I know which side of that equation I prefer the club to be on.