You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

King is a decent player, a lot better than Origi. Strong, pace and can score goals.

But he’s always injured, one of the reasons Bournemouth went down, if he could stay fit, they would stay up.

I dont really want any other Norwegians than Ødegaard or Haaland here though.

43677F96-CEE7-4D80-B8FD-EFF3F238E430.jpeg

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Code said:

King is a decent player, a lot better than Origi. Strong, pace and can score goals.

But he’s always injured, one of the reasons Bournemouth went down, if he could stay fit, they would stay up.

His versatility is a big asset IMO, something we could really do with upfront.

For those who have watched his progress should we just go back in for Lloyd Kelly instead of Lewis ? Apparently he was the preferred candidate last year but we got gazzumped on valuation and playing time (in PL).

If he wen t for 13-15 mil last year would he be worth the 20 - 25 it would cost now after a years experience in PL ?

he has lost the PL playing time the coach that bought him etc etc maybe more open to playing and learning backup now. In saying that like the sound of Lewis’s character and his seeming willingness to learn.

7 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

For those who have watched his progress should we just go back in for Lloyd Kelly instead of Lewis ? Apparently he was the preferred candidate last year but we got gazzumped on valuation and playing time (in PL).

If he wen t for 13-15 mil last year would he be worth the 20 - 25 it would cost now after a years experience in PL ?

he has lost the PL playing time the coach that bought him etc etc maybe more open to playing and learning backup now. In saying that like the sound of Lewis’s character and his seeming willingness to learn.

Pearce already said we won’t go for him as Edwards was angered by his representatives last summer.

If you can pick through all the moaning, bitching & general bull shit, it’s already been posted.

7 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Pearce already said we won’t go for him as Edwards was angered by his representatives last summer.

If you can pick through all the moaning, bitching & general bull shit, it’s already been posted.

Trough the baseball shit too

8 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Great call by his representatives. Could have had a league title medal ends up relegated. 

• Upvote 5

19 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

As already said, it's been ruled out, but he doesn't really have a year's experience anyway, he was injured all season and only started playing regularly after lockdown - at centre back. Given the circumstances, I thought he looked pretty good in the games I saw him apart from when he gifted Leicester a goal with a bad attempt at a clearance. 

7 hours ago, Code said:

You're not fooling anyone, Code. We know there is a third Norwegian you'd love to be playing for us, and he's on that page you posted.

12 hours ago, aRdja said:

Of course with him we’d buy for his potential, he’s not the finished article as he’s only 19. If you’ve seen him play you could see that he’s got  all the tools to make it, he just needs to put it all together. He’s shown and done more than Salah and Mane at the same age. As far as LW prospects go, he’s the best I’ve seen in the league.  

Well maybe he has done more than Salah and mane. He's played in this league, but not been very good at it. Also, if we'd have bought mane or Salah at 19, they'd have cost us the price of a couple of Mars bars and about the same wages as the tea lady. So just to be absolutely clear here, I am not saying odoi will never ever be a good footballer, I am saying right now I think he's a bit shite and hasn't really done anything to make me think he would be a good player, for me he was a much better prospect when I'd never seen him kick a ball and Munich wanted to pay 30m for him. But my opinion lowers of him every time I watch him. He would cost us more money than mane or Salah did when we bought them and more in wages, as he actually earns today more than they did on their 1st Liverpool contracts. It's about measuring risk and for me to sign someone who's been a bit shite and would cost the money of a top international footballer as I said in a previous post, would be Bournemouth levels of stupidity. 

As for the attributes you mention, everyone used to say exactly the same about Jordan Ibe. I thought he lacked drive, intuition and imagination and was a typical modern product of the English youth system, he looks strong and fast and we'll try and teach him to be a footballer - they looked good at youth levels mostly because of their physical advantage over their peers. That's exactly what I see every single time I watch odoi. I thought/think the same when I see Jesse Lingard. 

Finally, if you asked me to bet where odoi will spend most of his career, I would say the next couple of years on the bench at Chelsea, then some gullible/desperate lower prem club will buy him where he will do absolutely fuck all, but be far too expensive for a team in say the Dutch league to have a go of him. He'll be remembered as the kid who Munich would pay 35m for. A transfer is just like a bet. If you offered be 100/1 he would make it as a star, I'd probably take it despite the fact I don't think it would happen as it would be worth the gamble. However, the cost of this kid would be like sticking your house on some random horse in the grand national. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Code said:

If Coutinho ends up at another PL club this summer I will be devestated. Bring him back, he will be perfect for us.

I'm struggling to see how he would be a bad deal considering we're meant to be skint. By all accounts Barca don't even want a loan fee, they just want his wages off their books. My mind might be slipping with how long he has on his contract, but I think we should just offer to take him on a 2 year loan, which would take him till the end of his contract. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

I'm struggling to see how he would be a bad deal considering we're meant to be skint. By all accounts Barca don't even want a loan fee, they just want his wages off their books. My mind might be slipping with how long he has on his contract, but I think we should just offer to take him on a 2 year loan, which would take him till the end of his contract. 

If we are in financial constriction, if we are worried what post COVID revenues will be, this  deal and its T and  C s ticks all the boxes.

54 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

Balance in the dressing room maybe. Coming back never ends well. Move on. 

Which is the key point  I think. On what terms is he with the majority of the players now? Would the strong Brazilian influence at Anfield be enough to smooth over any rough edges? 

For what it's worth, I think the supporters themselves would be fairly forgiving, for the most part. 

I think our dressing room would be just fine with Coutinho coming back.  I'm not sure Barcelona would be happy with it though, it would be pretty embarrassing for them to "give" him back to us for a relative pittance, I think that would be the main issue.

5 minutes ago, Moo said:

I think our dressing room would be just fine with Coutinho coming back.  I'm not sure Barcelona would be happy with it though, it would be pretty embarrassing for them to "give" him back to us for a relative pittance, I think that would be the main issue.

If we are interested (and I do think that's a big if), then the ball is firmly with coutinho to hold his nerve and tell them it's Liverpool or nowhere. Let's see how much he wants to play here or if he'll do an Owen and find excuses to jump at the 1st thing  that's presented to him that gets him back on the pitch.