You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

What do the best he can with his squad? Loads of great teams have had inadequate cover for when a big player goes missing. 

Milner being versatile has been a god send and whilst its not the absolute solution Klopp isn't in the game of buying players for the sake of it. We've seen enough of that with previous mangers. Even Rafa bought some absolute fucking turd to plug gaps. 

Milner looked a full back busted flush for some time I think. I might be wrong, but I think his last 2 starts at left back he's broken down injured. He's at a point in his career we should use him sparingly, we shouldn't be expected him to bust his balls at left back. I've no issue with attempting to find a solution within the squad, but it's time to not think milner is the answer to all ills. I mentioned it earlier in the thread, I'd let chamberlain do it. 

1 hour ago, elvis said:

The thing is though , the transfer window is open for ages and everyone seems to have this crystal ball predicting the outcome .

If klopp thinks he needs to spend I'm sure he will , and people saying he isn't allowed to are just guessing . 

To be fair klopp has said he'd like to improve the squad and we don't want to spend money because of the uncertainty surrounding covid. 

I've said it loads of times. The covid excuse is maybe the best one they've had in 10 years of shithousery with money. But it's the boy who cried wolf now, you can't look at it purely through the the goggles of a post march 2020 world. We need to look at their track record and it's fuck all to do with anything but they're tight cunts who spend only because they sell. It's been like this since their very 1st window. 

51 minutes ago, Daisy said:

The club is a fucking joke. They brief the press in the morning to say we are following him and them brief the same lot by the afternoon to say no chance of it happening. Pathetic 

Only nobody has said there is no chance of it happening.

Pearce just says we are apart in our valuations. In the article he also states we were originally quoted £90m for Alisson and got him for £65m as an example of how comprise can be made. 

Got to think the FF would be better if posters fully read what was being said, had a little think about a response and then replying instead of angry and tedious circle jerks we constantly seem to find ourselves in. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Fine, but expecting the manager to keep fashioning silk purses out of sows' ears is no guarantee of future success, I would venture.

The thing is, he isn't doing that.  How do you make an average footballer into a world class one ?  You simply won't unless that ability is already there.  And it's known to be a preference of Klopp's to develop players to their full potential.  Robbo and Trent Arnold being two prime examples.

It's being made to be seen as a bit of a lucky dip, but it clearly isn't.  Whatever the criteria is they use to recruit the right player it's obviously working.  That's not luck, that's a lot of research being done there.  It's also financially effective.  And they're not liable to change that while finances are unpredictable, and neither should they.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

Why is it? It’s more than we signed Robertson for! 

And? Just because Hull made a daft deal with us doesn't mean other clubs should do likewise. We were also the only club in for Robbo and it doesn't sound like that's the case this time. 

For the record, I'm not advocating we splurge 20m on this lad given he wouldn't be a regular. But Norwich's valuation isn't that unrealistic given his age, experience and talent. 

1 minute ago, scudger99 said:

The thing is, he isn't doing that.  How do you make an average footballer into a world class one ?  You simply won't unless that ability is already there.  And it's known to be a preference of Klopp's to develop players to their full potential.  Robbo and Trent Arnold being two prime examples.

It's being made to be seen as a bit of a lucky dip, but it clearly isn't.  Whatever the criteria is they use to recruit the right player it's obviously working.  That's not luck, that's a lot of research being done there.  It's also financially effective.  And they're not liable to change that while finances are unpredictable, and neither should they.

The thing is, I'm not asking for the moon on a stick. It'd just nice to be able to know that if Robertson got injured, we weren't relying on a 35 year-old midfielder as back up, or if any of the front three needed a rest, we weren't having to call on a midfielder with 43 goals in an 11 season career to fill in.

Maybe it's passé these days, but I like the principle that you should have two players for each position, plus an extra goalkeeper.

37 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

In fairness to Norwich 8m plus 2m in add-ons is a joke bid. There's also no chance the club are going to spend 20m plus add ons for a reserve left back. 

Welcome to Liverpool Konstantinos Tsimikas

Good our 2nd options work out better.

18 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

And? Just because Hull made a daft deal with us doesn't mean other clubs should do likewise. We were also the only club in for Robbo and it doesn't sound like that's the case this time. 

For the record, I'm not advocating we splurge 20m on this lad given he wouldn't be a regular. But Norwich's valuation isn't that unrealistic given his age, experience and talent. 

He's 22 and has been average all season.  £20million is well over the top.

8 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

The thing is, I'm not asking for the moon on a stick. It'd just nice to be able to know that if Robertson got injured, we weren't relying on a 35 year-old midfielder as back up, or if any of the front three needed a rest, we weren't having to call on a midfielder with 43 goals in an 11 season career to fill in.

Maybe it's passé these days, but I like the principle that you should have two players for each position, plus an extra goalkeeper.

At a rough guess I'd say the club will be working on backups.  It's not a secret that we're light in that department.  But that doesn't necessarily need the sums of money spunked on it that many seem to think it does.

1 minute ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Or you could argue he is young and english and the prem champs want him, which means he has value.

As a backup to a club with no money.  He won't move anywhere for that though I hope they stick to that value as we'll certainly won't sign him.

3 hours ago, neko said:

I usually sit on the FF sidelines and just soak up all the information from more knowledgeable and experienced posters.

What I don't understand about this apparent lack of transfer funds or activity, is how anyone can be comfortable defending it with the season we've just had (English/Europe/World Champions) when the most basic tenet of professional sports is if you don't move forward, you're moving backward.

I kind of agree with Senor Stroganoff for the most part that the money should be there, and they should be investing in the team.

I'll go back to the cat thread now.

If you look at the agents fees for the last couple of years it's obvious they've been spending loadsamoney buying extra years of existing players.

Money isn't the only gating item though.  Klopp has said many times, he wants a small squad, so that even marginal players get a meaningful # of games.  It's what keeps everyone @ 100%+ he reckons.

8 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Looks like Everton aren't signing any players then, apart from a 37 year old Ivanovic. Still waiting for Usmanov.

Usmanov is even older. They're taking this 'pace goals don't count' too far, in order to make a point.