You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

1 hour ago, Code said:

I think that the criticism the club got in March when they wanted to furlough staff play a part in all this. 

I might be misremembering so anyone who wants to jump to the defence of the owners feel free to correct me, but didn't they respond to the furlough controversy similarly to how they responded to the back down on tickets prices in 2016?  With some kind of reference to it impacting revenues and finding another solution?  I wondered back then how they'd use it to excuse a lack of investment in the team so naturally I have wondered the same again.

Happy to be corrected or rebuffed but please remember this is a forum where we should be able to chat about anything (within reason of course), and there's hardly anything else to discuss at the moment.

Or feel free to let the thread die until something concrete happens.

41 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Do you think they’ve thought “Fuck you cunts, you’re not getting any new signings. Now get out there and buy those Nike kits!”?

Haha I hope they are not like me.

So not really like that, but if they spend now, their decision could get questioned again.

6 minutes ago, Moo said:

I might be misremembering so anyone who wants to jump to the defence of the owners feel free to correct me, but didn't they respond to the furlough controversy similarly to how they responded to the back down on tickets prices in 2016?  With some kind of reference to it impacting revenues and finding another solution?  I wondered back then how they'd use it to excuse a lack of investment in the team so naturally I have wondered the same again.

Happy to be corrected or rebuffed but please remember this is a forum where we should be able to chat about anything (within reason of course), and there's hardly anything else to discuss at the moment.

Or feel free to let the thread die until something concrete happens.

Correct. 

“We have consulted with a range of key stakeholders as part of a process aimed at achieving the best possible outcome for all concerned. A range of possible scenarios were considered, including but not restricted to: applying to the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, which pays 80 per cent of salary and guaranteeing the 20 per cent payment; applying to the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme with a guarantee to reimburse monies received at a later date; and, thirdly, finding an alternative means to cover our furlough costs.

It is as a direct result of this extensive consultation and our own internal deliberations at various levels throughout the club that we have opted to find alternative means despite our eligibility to apply for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme.”

1 hour ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Fine, but expecting the manager to keep fashioning silk purses out of sows' ears is no guarantee of future success, I would venture.

Sows' ears like Alisson, the world record signing for a keeper, Van Dijk the world record for a defender, Mane, Salah, Keita, Chamberlain, Fabinho, Gini, et al... those sow's ears? 

As myopic as it is, I don't mind people talking about net spend; though if you buy a player for 8m, sell him for 100m, and buy a champion winning squad from it, I'm very much in the 'don't complain at that type of spending' camp - others clearly differ. I do mind pretending that the manager is given shite to make good. 

1 hour ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Fine, but expecting the manager to keep fashioning silk purses out of sows' ears is no guarantee of future success, I would venture.

Have you ever tried anti depressants ? They work wonders mate .

This is the negative shit you'd expect to hear after  a lousy season just after missing out on champions League or something . 

• Downvote 1

19 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Well why are we arguing? My beef aint with Jurgen being creative, he's doing his job the best he can. My point is he shouldn't have to do that.

What do the best he can with his squad? Loads of great teams have had inadequate cover for when a big player goes missing. 

Milner being versatile has been a god send and whilst its not the absolute solution Klopp isn't in the game of buying players for the sake of it. We've seen enough of that with previous mangers. Even Rafa bought some absolute fucking turd to plug gaps. 

14 minutes ago, elvis said:

This is the negative shit you'd expect to hear after  a lousy season just after missing out on champions League or something . 

Tit of a comment that. 

I'm as guilty as anyone for having pops at SD but thats out of touch. 

46 minutes ago, elvis said:

I simply don't believe it's possible to continue to be successful and make a profit in the transfer window every year. I mean, I manage to do that in Football Manager, but in the real world? Nope.

I usually sit on the FF sidelines and just soak up all the information from more knowledgeable and experienced posters.

What I don't understand about this apparent lack of transfer funds or activity, is how anyone can be comfortable defending it with the season we've just had (English/Europe/World Champions) when the most basic tenet of professional sports is if you don't move forward, you're moving backward.

I kind of agree with Senor Stroganoff for the most part that the money should be there, and they should be investing in the team.

I'll go back to the cat thread now.

• Upvote 9

11 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I simply don't believe it's possible to continue to be successful and make a profit in the transfer window every year. I mean, I manage to do that in Football Manager, but in the real world? Nope.

The thing is though , the transfer window is open for ages and everyone seems to have this crystal ball predicting the outcome .

If klopp thinks he needs to spend I'm sure he will , and people saying he isn't allowed to are just guessing . 

21 minutes ago, neko said:

I usually sit on the FF sidelines and just soak up all the information from more knowledgeable and experienced posters.

What I don't understand about this apparent lack of transfer funds or activity, is how anyone can be comfortable defending it with the season we've just had (English/Europe/World Champions) when the most basic tenet of professional sports is if you don't move forward, you're moving backward.

I kind of agree with Senor Stroganoff for the most part that the money should be there, and they should be investing in the team.

I'll go back to the cat thread now.

PaleFreeBat-size_restricted.gif

There no real competition for any of our first 11. I think part of Klopps genius is he is incredibly motivational, they don't need the fear of being usurped because they have the hunger to win. The worry is the drop off in quality, I'd love someone who can come in for Bobby, doesnt even need to be a forward just a creative technically good player. Not a bobby wanna be but another option and one that can cause problems. Can't say I've bothered to look at his all round game but Bruno for united was an astute buy. Finding spaces and openings, good striker of the ball, creative, a diving little shitbag. Is Thiago that style of player? I ain't watched him but if people think he will add to our team its a move that should be made.

23 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Rearce, credit to @Grinch, has said Norwich want 20m for Lewis. We'll prob end up paying 15m plus Larouci. Or we'll get that Greek guy.

Yeah, just seen Pearce’s article in The Athletic.

Because they feel ripped off at Maddison, they want to make a stand on future sales. 

Unfortunately, when the Champions go Everywhere come calling and can point to one of the best left backs in the world signed 3.5 years ago for under half for what they are asking for, playing that game won’t work.

If we sign him, I bet it’s for <£15m. 

Can’t believe the transfer window has already SLAMMED SHUT while all our staff are on a fortnights holiday. Klopp, Edwards and the rest need to hang their heads in shame and return those winners medals they’ve fraudulently earned these last couple of years. 

• Upvote 1