You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

6 minutes ago, dave u said:

Doesn't get goals though. The only time I can ever remember him scoring is during lockdown, and he ended up being arrested and questioned for an alleged rape.

He's what would be left if you took away Wilf Zaha's shooting, crossing and ability to win penalties.

He’s 19, Zaha (who I’m a big fan of btw) only kicked on when he was around 22-23. For context Mane played in Ligue 2 when he was the same age, with only two goals to his name. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

If we're going Championship, I'd rather take a punt on Eberechi Eze from QPR. He looks like a good prospect. Very good dribbler. 

It was half a joke. But on the basis of being a forward who can play wide and up front, Watkins would probably be a better fit for us than Eze.

37 minutes ago, dave u said:

Yeah they could just take it back from what they've been siphoning off for the Red Sox, right?

In all seriousness, you need to get away from this idea of owners funding clubs. They can't do that even if they wanted to as it breaches FFP.

John Henry can't just go to the rest of FSG and say "revenues are down from this Covid thing lads, so let's write the Reds a cheque for £30m to cover it".

That's not how it works and not how I'd want it to work anyway. I want the club to be self sustaining and spending money that it makes on its own merits, not using dodgy funds sneaked into the club via the back door through inflated, fake sponsorships like what City are doing.

Criticising them for not spending money the club has made is one thing (it may or may not be valid, I have no idea to be honest), but criticising them for not throwing their own money into it is a different argument entirely, and one that's a bit daft.

Blimey Dave you've got a right bee in your bonnet over that post I made haven't you?

What's so earth shattering that the possibility could exist that some big US businessmen who own two sports teams (and BTW they only have to answer to themselves on this) can move some money around to help one business over another without plowing in their own? Whats so left field about that? And don't say the fans wouldn't have it, its not up to them. I mean they just sold off the family silver at Red Sox (much to the disgust of their fans) with Mookie Betts so anything goes, they are in business after all.

FSG is estimated to be worth 6.6 billion btw.

Also FFP? Thats done, finished, gone. No one will take it seriously again. Anyway we will see Dave, strange times sometimes produce alternative solutions.

12 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

It's probably too soon to judge Hudson-Odoi. He's never really had a long enough run in the side. He's looked promising, then injured, etc. If he's really on £180k a week though, that's bonkers. 

He’s on £120k a week.  He looked good before his injury and shite ever since.  He’s not worth the risk.

55 minutes ago, dave u said:

Yeah they could just take it back from what they've been siphoning off for the Red Sox, right?

In all seriousness, you need to get away from this idea of owners funding clubs. They can't do that even if they wanted to as it breaches FFP.

John Henry can't just go to the rest of FSG and say "revenues are down from this Covid thing lads, so let's write the Reds a cheque for £30m to cover it".

That's not how it works and not how I'd want it to work anyway. I want the club to be self sustaining and spending money that it makes on its own merits, not using dodgy funds sneaked into the club via the back door through inflated, fake sponsorships like what City are doing.

Criticising them for not spending money the club has made is one thing (it may or may not be valid, I have no idea to be honest), but criticising them for not throwing their own money into it is a different argument entirely, and one that's a bit daft.

But this is just incorrect Dave. They are able to pay for the stadium expansion and the training ground revamp out of their own pocket - and they're able to do so to unlimited amounts. FFP specifically allows for this.

They committed to 'investing' in the stadium when they first purchased us.

They've made us pay for it all. Why should Liverpool fans be okay with that? Why shouldn't we want our owners to invest their own money in the asset they bought for 300m that they'll one day walk away from pocketing close to 2bn?

This has nothing to do with self sustainability or being a 'hysterical fanny'. The 100m or so we've paid towards the loans for stadium/training ground upgrades is money we could have spent on the playing squad.

Please can you tell me why the above is not a very fair stance? That's not asking for a sugar daddy, it's asking for an owner to invest circa 100m, which is quite literally fuck all when your owner is a billionaire hedge fund and the asset is already worth 1.5bn (and growing).

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

They traded Betts so they wouldn't have to pay him an absurd contract and because he wanted to leave. Legitimate reasons don't stop Red Sox fans, like it doesn't stop Liverpool fans, to act like hysterical fannies despite the recent success of both teams. News flash, fans don't like when their teams lose their best player and usually can't stand any explanation. But also, this is completely irrelevant to Liverpool.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

They traded Betts so they wouldn't have to pay him an absurd contract and because he wanted to leave. Legitimate reasons don't stop Red Sox fans, like it doesn't stop Liverpool fans, to act like hysterical fannies despite the recent success of both teams. News flash, fans don't like when their teams lose their best player and usually can't stand any explanation. But also, this is completely irrelevant to Liverpool.

For context, this is akin to us not giving Trent Alexander Arnold a new contract to stop him from going to Chelsea.

But yeah, 'hysterically fannies'.

Funny how many times people were bandying that phrase around every summer under Kenny and Rodgers too. In retrospect it looks like those 'hysterical fannies' were right every time they thought a signing wasn't good enough, or we needed another player in order to compete.

5 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

For context, this is akin to us not giving Trent Alexander Arnold a new contract to stop him from going to Chelsea.

But yeah, 'hysterically fannies'.

Funny how many times people were bandying that phrase around every summer under Kenny and Rodgers too. In retrospect it looks like those 'hysterical fannies' were right every time they thought a signing wasn't good enough, or we needed another player in order to compete.

It's not like that at all and Trent doesn't want to leave. And it's still irrelevant to Liverpool. These comparisons to how they run their baseball team are immensely stupid.

10 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Or tax 3 stacks, or tax. I was just laughing at the 'tight cunts' theme that seems to hang around everything they do either here or over the pond. No smoke without fire etc

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

If we're going Championship, I'd rather take a punt on Eberechi Eze from QPR. He looks like a good prospect. Very good dribbler. 

Palace are sniffing around him as a replacement for Zaha. Spurs also reportedly interested.

13 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

But this is just incorrect Dave. They are able to pay for the stadium expansion and the training ground revamp out of their own pocket - and they're able to do so to unlimited amounts. FFP specifically allows for this.

They committed to 'investing' in the stadium when they first purchased us.

They've made us pay for it all. Why should Liverpool fans be okay with that? Why shouldn't we want our owners to invest their own money in the asset they bought for 300m that they'll one day walk away from pocketing close to 2bn?

This has nothing to do with self sustainability or being a 'hysterical fanny'. The 100m or so we've paid towards the loans for stadium/training ground upgrades is money we could have spent on the playing squad.

Please can you tell me why the above is not a very fair stance? That's not asking for a sugar daddy, it's asking for an owner to invest circa 100m, which is quite literally fuck all when your owner is a billionaire hedge fund and the asset is already worth 1.5bn (and growing).

I'm not sure you're correct there. Infrastructure costs can be excluded for FFP purposes, ie we made a 30m loss but spent 50m on the stadium so for FFP we are 20m to the good. Not certain of this but I don't believe the investment can come directly from the owner. 

6 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Or tax 3 stacks, or tax. I was just laughing at the 'tight cunts' theme that seems to hang around everything they do either here or over the pond. No smoke without fire etc

Please stop talking about stuff you don't know. You do realize that since FSG owned the team, the Red Sox have been paying the tax for 10 out of the 18 years they've been owners. Only the Yankees have surpassed the threshold where teams have to start paying tax more than the Red Sox. Only the Dodgers and Yankees have paid more tax. They aren't "tight cunts" in baseball. You don't know anything.

But again, this is fucking irrelevant. It has nothing to do with Liverpool. At all.

I've probably watched Jamal Lewis play all his games for Northern Ireland. He is rapid (was a decent level athlete at school apparently) and can play football on the deck, and he has a great temperament for a kid. Perfect defensively, no, but he has time to learn. When we played Germany in Belfast in 2019 he had a pretty good game considering the opposition (facing up to Werner & Brandt). 

As a back up to Robbo I think he'd be good. He wouldn't be rushed in, he'd get his three months to work on the system in training, etc. and I reckon he'd be pretty ready come the winter schedule. £10m seems reasonable, £20m seems unreasonable, if Laurouchi is going the other way, maybe there's a price in the middle both teams might think works. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Please stop talking about stuff you don't know. You do realize that since FSG owned the team, the Red Sox have been paying the tax for 10 out of the 18 years they've been owners. Only the Yankees have surpassed the threshold where teams have to start paying tax more than the Red Sox. Only the Dodgers and Yankees have paid more tax. They aren't "tight cunts" in baseball. You don't know anything.

But again, this is fucking irrelevant. It has nothing to do with Liverpool. At all.

I'm reading about it. You know, there is information out there. And it does have to do with LFC, as they are both owned by the same people. Its not difficult, in fact its quite simple, strip it back to its basics and the patterns are familiar.

You do seem angry though.

• Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I'm reading about it. You know, there is information out there. And it does have to do with LFC, as they are both owned by the same people. Its not difficult, in fact its quite simple, strip it back to its basics and the patterns are familiar.

You do seem angry though.

That's great, learn all you like, young man. But negged for arguing something patently wrong because you had no idea what you were talking about.