You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

6 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Radio City just said it will be a quiet transfer window for both us and Everton. Apparently we've lost £30m due to the pandemic and Everton have lost £9m. Presumably as we earn more from matchdays than them and we are on tv more.

Everyone will lose money though, interesting to see what happens.

13 minutes ago, No2 said:

I'm not overly sold on the idea of a new left back. Say we get a Lewis type then he plays 6 to 8 league games and some in Europe too. I'd rather Robbo plays 38 and is covered by Milner and Williams if needs be. Ashley Cole and Patrice Evra played every week, Robbo is too important not to play.

Terrible idea

We need natural width at fullback. Milner slows everything down far to much out there, Neco would be the same coming in on his right foot

Guess it could come down to whether the lad is up for the challenge. Sure, he'll know he'll be back up but he's young enough to learn more and develop, also going to get a step in in training, being part of a successful squad etc.

To paraphrase Jurgen, there's worse things in life than being Liverpool's back up left back.

21 minutes ago, aRdja said:

He’s had injury problems, but he’s a top top prospect. He’s several levels above Ibe. Even Bayern Munich went after him real hard. None of Ziyech, Havertz nor Werner are natural left wingers, and Chelsea’s transfer decisions as we know aren’t the best parameter for you to use to judge the quality of their players. Please refer to De Bruyne, Salah, Sturridge, Lukaku, etc.

I've watched odoi loads. He's nowhere near the level you're talking about for me. Most clubs make mistakes selling players and the only big mistake there I would say there is de bruyne. Salah they never gave a chance and didn't feel they needed to, they sold him at a profit, which is their business plan. Sturridge they sold because they couldn't keep him fit. We got 12 months out of him. Lukaku they sold for a massive fee at the time. But that's all old news and doesn't matter. Odoi is so middle of the road, yes he's had an injury but he's been back from that for ages. The list of players who were going to be great when they were teenagers and turn out shit is much larger than the list of players who make it to the stars people predict. For me odoi is one of them. 

11 minutes ago, No2 said:

I'm not overly sold on the idea of a new left back. Say we get a Lewis type then he plays 6 to 8 league games and some in Europe too. I'd rather Robbo plays 38 and is covered by Milner and Williams if needs be. Ashley Cole and Patrice Evra played every week, Robbo is too important not to play.

Williams? You did watch him the other week? He can barely even stand on his left leg. One guaranteed way to destroy the boy would be needing to chuck him in for 10 games should robbo pick up an injury. 

To be honest, I'd give chamberlain a role covering both full backs. Our full backs are more attacking than our midfielders and it's a kind of midfield role. He was a winger by trade and we might get more out of him in those positions than we do in midfield or attack where I think he's been ineffective since returning from that injury. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Guess it could come down to whether the lad is up for the challenge. Sure, he'll know he'll be back up but he's young enough to learn more and develop, also going to get a step in in training, being part of a successful squad etc.

To paraphrase Jurgen, there's worse things in life than being Liverpool's back up left back.

If Robbo best injured then the drop off will be massive regardless of who we sign. 

Robbo 36 games + Milner 2 games > Robbo 30 games + Lewis 8 games.

I'm not set against the idea of just prefer upgrades on Origi and Lovren. I can't see us signing 3 players, 2 at a stretch.

9 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

I've watched odoi loads. He's nowhere near the level you're talking about for me. Most clubs make mistakes selling players and the only big mistake there I would say there is de bruyne. Salah they never gave a chance and didn't feel they needed to, they sold him at a profit, which is their business plan. Sturridge they sold because they couldn't keep him fit. We got 12 months out of him. Lukaku they sold for a massive fee at the time. But that's all old news and doesn't matter. Odoi is so middle of the road, yes he's had an injury but he's been back from that for ages. The list of players who were going to be great when they were teenagers and turn out shit is much larger than the list of players who make it to the stars people predict. For me odoi is one of them. 

Williams? You did watch him the other week? He can barely even stand on his left leg. One guaranteed way to destroy the boy would be needing to chuck him in for 10 games should robbo pick up an injury. 

To be honest, I'd give chamberlain a role covering both full backs. Our full backs are more attacking than our midfielders and it's a kind of midfield role. He was a winger by trade and we might get more out of him in those positions than we do in midfield or attack where I think he's been ineffective since returning from that injury. 

Williams played 45 minutes, please forgive me for not righting off. What I've seen from him is an incredible attitude, if Klopp wants him to cover both full backs then he will and he will improve every day in training.

Williams will have a long career here, I'm certain of that.

11 minutes ago, No2 said:

Williams played 45 minutes, please forgive me for not righting off. What I've seen from him is an incredible attitude, if Klopp wants him to cover both full backs then he will and he will improve every day in training.

Williams will have a long career here, I'm certain of that.

I'm not writing him off as a footballer. But you can see very quickly if players have massive deficiencies and Williams left foot is one. He won't use it. In that game they showed him for a period in warm up and he was almost tripping up as it was clear his instructions were to use his left and he just couldn't do it. If you want to destroy the boys confidence, well 10 games at left back will do it. I prefer you bring kids in and make their journey as comfortable as possible, not go out to expose them, which this would. In years time the lad may get better at using his left foot, it was very clear in that 45 minutes now isn't the time for that. 

43 minutes ago, No2 said:

This the same milner who has been brutal at left back for at least two years now and the Williams whose had one game there and was so shite he had to be subbed at half time. 

Every top squad needs cover, proper cover.   Robertson has had to play nearly every game the last two years. 

Watkins has has a really good season but it's a big step up from the Championship to the Champions League. Can't remember the last time we signed someone with no Premier League or Champions League experience for the first team, don't think Joe Gomez was intended to go straight in and he was a lot younger than Watkins too.

1 hour ago, The Gaul said:

Odoi? Not a chance. He will spend most of his career where ibe will spend his. Chelsea are out buying players now because he doesn't cut the mustard, exactly like we did using Ibe to fund the Mane transfer. Odoi runs around with absolutely zero quality to anything he does. Not a chance he will make it with a top 6 team. 

The funny thing about that is they turned down a £36m bid from Bayern for him and gave him a huge wage rise.

1 hour ago, BeefStroganoff said:

30m? peanuts for our owners that.

Yeah they could just take it back from what they've been siphoning off for the Red Sox, right?

In all seriousness, you need to get away from this idea of owners funding clubs. They can't do that even if they wanted to as it breaches FFP.

John Henry can't just go to the rest of FSG and say "revenues are down from this Covid thing lads, so let's write the Reds a cheque for £30m to cover it".

That's not how it works and not how I'd want it to work anyway. I want the club to be self sustaining and spending money that it makes on its own merits, not using dodgy funds sneaked into the club via the back door through inflated, fake sponsorships like what City are doing.

Criticising them for not spending money the club has made is one thing (it may or may not be valid, I have no idea to be honest), but criticising them for not throwing their own money into it is a different argument entirely, and one that's a bit daft.

• Upvote 3

we always further strengthened when on top in the past which proved successful. so it's a genuine concern if we don't now. it's a fair shout and no-one is being unreasonable to expect same when we have finally got back to the summit. it's the desire for more fantastic nights we have already experienced under this great genius.

maybe Klopp likes a bit of adversity in this regard to motivate the squad even more and further build their bond and trust? a sort of siege mentality within? but yeah, always on the look out for real value (Robbo) or the right big one (VVD and Alisson) who don't grow on trees or everyone would have them. so more selective- and if someone comes in that's fully accepted. the players then know they are fully in the driving seat and the young ones see a future way through.

all i don't want is Klopp taking any sort of shit if there is a drop-off or injuries which we have been largely ok with if we don't buy for whatever reason. we've offloaded some high earners, more to follow. we can afford some class.

20 minutes ago, dave u said:

Yeah they could just take it back from what they've been siphoning off for the Red Sox, right?

In all seriousness, you need to get away from this idea of owners funding clubs. They can't do that even if they wanted to as it breaches FFP.

John Henry can't just go to the rest of FSG and say "revenues are down from this Covid thing lads, so let's write the Reds a cheque for £30m to cover it".

That's not how it works and not how I'd want it to work anyway. I want the club to be self sustaining and spending money that it makes on its own merits, not using dodgy funds sneaked into the club via the back door through inflated, fake sponsorships like what City are doing.

Criticising them for not spending money the club has made is one thing (it may or may not be valid, I have no idea to be honest), but criticising them for not throwing their own money into it is a different argument entirely, and one that's a bit daft.

giphy.gif

8 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Rapid, too footed, a good dribbler, and most importantly he’s already accustomed to English football. 

Doesn't get goals though. The only time I can ever remember him scoring is during lockdown, and he ended up being arrested and questioned for an alleged rape.

He's what would be left if you took away Wilf Zaha's shooting, crossing and ability to win penalties.

• Upvote 1