You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

26 minutes ago, Marko121 said:

Klopp should not be put in the position where he is looking for bargains or options from within an already small squad. 
For what he has achieved, he deserves better than this and deserves to be backed. We are very lucky to have him. 
Our owners are very very wealthy people and can afford to invest. They just choose not to. 
Klopp will get pissed off with this at some point. 

Don't need the owners money.  Liverpool should be one of the richest clubs in the world.   

4 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Liverpool have struck early to bring in a new signing in the summer window, with Polish winger Mateusz Musialowski signing up.

The 16-year-old has joined for a six-figure sum and will link-up, initially, with the club’s academy. The teenager operates down the right wing and arrives from SMS Lodz.

Musialowski comes with a fine reputation and has already been tipped as a future international for his country.

The winger links up with compatriot Fabian Mrozek; the goalkeeper also arriving at Melwood to join Liverpool’s academy.

Despite the capture of the duo, it’s not expected to be a busy summer window for Liverpool.

The club are in the market for a new centre-half following Dejan Lovren’s departure. Liverpool have seen an intial bid of £9m rejected by Real Betis for defender Aissa Mandi. However, they won’t need to raise their bid by much to land the Algerian.

Aside from that, there doesn’t look to be any other major arrivals coming in at Anfield.

Klopp has hinted he is happy with his squad, with their spending impacted by the global economic downturn.

“I am happy with my squad 100%. I was last year when people wanted us to sign him and him but because of our reasons we did not do it,” Jurgen Klopp said.

“It’s not that we don’t want to, we try to make the right decisions constantly and then COVID came. The situation changed and not for the better.

“It’s not that we think we cannot improve with transfers, we do what is right for us and what we are able to do, that’s all.

“If other teams invest I have no idea, they may know more about the future, I don’t know. But the main difference between us and other teams this year was consistency.”

So Klopp wants to, but told he can't. He believes he's being told the truth, some of us don't think he is. I do have an FSG theory now, but I can't be arsed to type it out. 

1 minute ago, Grinch said:

No. 

Feel free to keep pretending one of the richest clubs in the world should have to sell to buy and I'll keep pointing out how ridiculously fucking stupid you are. 

Cunts like you would still be rimming hicks and Gillette if Rafa worked miracles. 

I look forward to the continuing duel with the only poster more stupid than me. And racist and sexist.

I think we can assume Jamal Lewis is all but done and Larouci going the other is also probably all but done.

Reddy and Maddock, both mouthpieces of the club, breaking the story within minutes of each other means they've probably been briefed by the club. I also think they've previously been told (like all other local journos) not to report speculative transfer information in order to remain in good standing with the club (after VVD). And if the club is briefing them then...I'd assume it's already all but done.

Think its a decent signing for a back up left back which was essential. 10m offset by Larouci (5m?) makes the economics work and whilst I think he's very raw, he actually reminds me a lot of Robbo. At 22 years old he has plenty of time to develop.

• Downvote 1

Last 10 pages of this thread made me forget we are champions for a minute. 

While I understand and equally frustrated at other clubs signing up top talents, the transfer window isn't closed yet. Am confident we'll get a CB and backup LB. We have problems with the HG quota and that's probably why Jamal Lewis makes sense.

For people having problems with Elliott's playing time, please understand he still has to go to school and attend classes. We can't be playing him full time.

3 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

I think we can assume Jamal Lewis is all but done and Larouci going the other is also probably all but done.

Reddy and Maddock, both mouthpieces of the club, breaking the story within minutes of each other means they've probably been briefed by the club. I also think they've previously been told (like all other local journos) not to report speculative transfer information in order to remain in good standing with the club (after VVD). And if the club is briefing them then...I'd assume it's already all but done.

Think its a decent signing for a back up left back which was essential. 10m offset by Larouci (5m?) makes the economics work and whilst I think he's very raw, he actually reminds me a lot of Robbo. At 22 years old he has plenty of time to develop.

Yip if he has left foot and good engine and he HG for squad don’t have a problem with this transfer. Reminds me of a slightly less explosive looking Sessegnon which might not be a bad thing seeing how that’s working out for the lad at spurs. Lower expectations , time to settle in potential upsides to his game. 

7 hours ago, Red House said:

Jamal Lewis was my pick as back-up for Robbo, so would be made up with that.

Based on what (this is a genuine question)?

Analytics-types are split on how much our statisticians have developed some sort of analytical secret sauce and how much is just the club listening to them when it comes time to make recruitment decisions, but one thing no one seems able to explain in the public sphere is how we found Robertson.

His numbers at Hull are good, but nothing stands out as incredible. And yet he came in for the same price as Kevin Stewart and became one of the best left backs in world football in a season's time.

So did we get really lucky? Or has the Graham/Edwards braintrust developed some algorithm that uses non-publicly available data to find secretly brilliant fullbacks off relegated sides? And if so, what is the algorithm looking at? All questions that might be answered if we bring in Jamal Lewis. Who, with a npxG/xA of 0.05/90 does not exactly jump off the page as a fullback who contributes meaningful attacking numbers.

Suffice it to say my money is on Edwards and Graham. If they say Lewis is the one to get off Norwich (I'd have been looking for a cheap deal for Buendia myself), then let's get him.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Based on what (this is a genuine question)?

Analytics-types are split on how much our statisticians have developed some sort of analytical secret sauce and how much is just the club listening to them when it comes time to make recruitment decisions, but one thing no one seems able to explain in the public sphere is how we found Robertson.

His numbers at Hull are good, but nothing stands out as incredible. And yet he came in for the same price as Kevin Stewart and became one of the best left backs in world football in a season's time.

So did we get really lucky? Or has the Graham/Edwards braintrust developed some algorithm that uses non-publicly available data to find secretly brilliant fullbacks off relegated sides? And if so, what is the algorithm looking at? All questions that might be answered if we bring in Jamal Lewis. Who, with a npxG/xA of 0.05/90 does not exactly jump off the page as a fullback who contributes meaningful attacking numbers.

Suffice it to say my money is on Edwards and Graham. If they say Lewis is the one to get off Norwich (I'd have been looking for a cheap deal for Buendia myself), then let's get him.

The obvious response to that would be from watching him play last season. You can’t rely just on stats. Seen on Twitter that Maguire has better stats than Virgil... I like the Englishman more than most but we can all agree that he’s no Virgil.

7 minutes ago, aRdja said:

The obvious response to that would be from watching him play last season. You can’t rely just on stats. Seen on Twitter that Maguire has better stats than Virgil... I like the Englishman more than most but we can all agree that he’s no Virgil.

giphy.gif

10 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Went to a couple of games and spent the 90 mins watching VVD (in between us scoring) and I can understand why VVDs stats are low. Basically his positioning and anticipation are  unbelievable he doesn’t need to do that much defending . He was stealing a living strolling through the matches, don’t think I saw him get past “jog” speed,  as you say believe what you see not some crap from a spreadsheet ( unless it says Lewis is going to be new Robertson)

• Upvote 2