You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

5 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I just dread the day the other top 6 clubs cop on to what we are doing and start setting academies up and looking for good young players.

Funny thing is, most of them are already better at bringing through young players. 

3 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Wonder how much this piece of propaganda cost? 

Just read it. What a load of bollocks that article is. Cutting out the middle man to save millions. Isn't that what everyone is trying to do. I think we have goebbels as our propaganda minister. FSG perfect bullshit artists, got lucky with Klopp, where the fuck is all the money generated the past few seasons gone ? 

Not saying we need to spend hundreds of millions, there is plenty of talented youth aged 17 to 22 or whatever profile we are working under these days. Three seasons from now I guess Mané, Salah and Firmino are definetly on the vain. Henderson and Gini will be close to their last legs aswell. We have an old squad now and signing 16 year old Polish kids is definetly not going to cut in the long run. I know we have a talented academy, but relying on that completely in the future is just plain wrong. 

Most people say they don't funnel money out of the club. If they are not. Where the hell are they ? Not in the transfer coffers that's for sure.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

The bigger contracts include the PL win bonus etc may normally be self financing, not sure about net zero, in normal circumstance. But these arent normal circumstances.

The club has had current and foreseeable ticketing and related income streams cut to zero. They refunded season ticket \ members money for the last 4 games. There's also the lost hospitality income, match day souvie sales plus they've had less tv income than expected.

Of course we wont know the full extent of the lost income for about 18 months. People say the loss of ticketing revenue doesnt affect the club much because of the other income streams but it's not that straightforward.

Here agree with your assessment of tickets etc . Think the covid impact is very fluid situation as an example company I work for was making 30% of workforce redundant 6 weeks ago this week we are hiring I have got a feeling FSG have just written next year off for both their sporting franchises and try an battle it out with whatever cash reserves they have . 

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

They are??

Easily, trent is the only one we've brought through in God knows how long.   Now Jones looks like he's got a shot. 

The rest have a much longer list that I can't be arsed going into. 

Bumming up Elliot when he can't get a game ahead of Origi and oxocube playing out of position is just laughable. 

11 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Easily, trent is the only one we've brought through in God knows how long.   Now Jones looks like he's got a shot. 

You goofball. No one has ever tried a young left footed winger at fullback.

Put some numbers next to these lads:

TAA

Joe Gomez

Neco Williams

Curtis Jones

Harvey Elliott

Rhiann Brewster

Keep in mind Barcelona wanted Elliott - just some rough numbers for lads we have. If you want throw in Wilson - just to make it interesting.

Then we can look around the league for 5 or 6 young fellas who match up.

Do United get close?

Greenwood

Rashford

Chong

Fosu Fella

That young fullback

Chelsea got to be close

Mount

Hudson-Odoi

Abraham

Reece-James

The fella at the back

13 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Bumming up Elliot when he can't get a game ahead of Origi and oxocube playing out of position is just laughable. 

Elliott just turned 17. What's laughable is that you think he'd be better than Chamberlain and Origi at this point. He probably will be better than them, but not now, ffs.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Elliott just turned 17. What's laughable is that you think he'd be better than Chamberlain and Origi at this point. He probably will be better than them, but not now, ffs.

Then don't be Bumming him up when he's done fuck all yet, every club have talented 17 year old in theur acwdamies.  

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

You goofball. No one has ever tried a young left footed winger at fullback.

Put some numbers next to these lads:

TAA

Joe Gomez

Neco Williams

Curtis Jones

Harvey Elliott

Rhiann Brewster

Keep in mind Barcelona wanted Elliott - just some rough numbers for lads we have. If you want throw in Wilson - just to make it interesting.

Then we can look around the league for 5 or 6 young fellas who match up.

Do United get close?

Greenwood

Rashford

Chong

Fosu Fella

That young fullback

Chelsea got to be close

Mount

Hudson-Odoi

Abraham

Reece-James

The fella at the back

We bought Gomez from Charlton.   Williams played twice when it didn't matter, when it did we play played Gomez out of position rather than turn to him.   Another case of being far too quick to start Bumming about a kid who was so shit in one of those games he was hooked. 

The rest other than Trent, have they even started a league game? 

22 minutes ago, Grinch said:

I thought it was quite telling, in general how some of those fringeplayers hardly got a look. Elliot, for all the bluster didn't hardly get a kick in 7 dead rubbers. Curtis only made a few cameos too.

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

2/3rds of the doom-mongering posts in this thread are laughable.

”WE NEED ANOTHER WIDE FORWARD. I HAVE THE UNIQUE INSIGHT THAN DIVOCK ORIGI ISN’T AS GOOD AS SADIO MANE”.

Similar with Robertson.

I think we all agree we could do with some greater depth (as we all probably did last year) but I also think the people in charge deserve the benefit of the doubt.

There is no need for the same posters to drag the thread down round & round & round & round & round & round & round & round & round & round & round again. 

PS - This isn’t a dig at you, I agree with your assessment.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Grinch said:

We bought Gomez from Charlton.   Williams played twice when it didn't matter, when it did we play played Gomez out of position rather than turn to him.   Another case of being far too quick to start Bumming about a kid who was so shit in one of those games he was hooked. 

The rest other than Trent, have they even started a league game? 

Not sure -- just put some transfer numbers next to the players - you don't have to have played to have a transfer value. As an example my guess is Williams would go for between 15 and 20 mil.

Comparable to Chong I would say - played the same games as well - though United had to cough up an extra 10k a week to get him to re-sign.

I know where Gomez came from, and how much he cost - you can take 3.5 off his value.

If you want you add Pulisic into Chelseas 6 but you will need to take a bit more off his value.

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

2/3rds of the doom-mongering posts in this thread are laughable.

”WE NEED ANOTHER WIDE FORWARD. I HAVE THE UNIQUE INSIGHT THAN DIVOCK ORIGI ISN’T AS GOOD AS SADIO MANE”.

Similar with Robertson.

I think we all agree we could do with some greater depth (as we all probably did last year) but I also think the people in charge deserve the benefit of the doubt.

There is no need for the same posters to drag the thread down round & round & round & round & round & round & round & round & round & round & round again. 

PS - This isn’t a dig at you, I agree with your assessment.

The people in charge don't deserve the benefit of the doubt because they play the same hand year on year. Jurgen gets the benefit but you can't tell me he doesn't want any more players?

Also what do you expect on this thread? We are discussing whats currently going on!

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Not sure -- just put some transfer numbers next to the players - you don't have to have played to have a transfer value. As an example my guess is Williams would go for between 15 and 20 mil.

Comparable to Chong I would say - played the same games as well - though United had to cough up an extra 10k a week to get him to re-sign.

I know where Gomez came from, and how much he cost - you can take 3.5 off his value.

If you want you add Pulisic into Chelseas 6 but you will need to take a bit more off his value.

Bournemouth have been relegated.  We're not getting 20m for a full back with two league appearances, one so brutal he was hooked at half time. 

There's really no argument that the rest of the top six have brought through more young players in the last decade.  We look to be getting better at it but as per 7sual, we're quick to over rate our own, who've all largely done fuck all in the game as of yet. 

We'll see what klopp thinks of Williams next year when it matters.  Do we play Gomez out of position as per usual and suffer as a result or do we give him a shot. 

Sancho is a good player with potential to improve, but is he worth the 90/100 million United are allegedly paying?

I don't think he's THAT good. The even weirder thing is that they have Mason Greenwood playing in the same position who looks incredibly talented. 

None of there back 5 are anywhere near as good as ours. In midfield they have Pogba and Bruno who are good on their day, but inconsistent. 

In the last two windows United have spent around a quarter of a billion on Sancho, Maguire, Wan-Bisaka and James and none of them would start for us!