You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

10 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Need an accountant here but above will be Capital  Expenditure  and will be written off over x number of years. Should not affect our ability to maintain a decent squad without relying on unproven talent.

It was a statement of how much the club made last year and I acknowledge the cost for Kirkby wouldnt be met in full by the profit.

Let's talk hypotheticals for a moment. Some people seem to think the club has 40m or so profit from last year plus the income it had for this year. Let's say that is 360m. Plus the 40m profit, they say the club has 400m available to spend.

But that's like saying you had 2,000 savings last year and your wage this year is 28,000 so you have 30,000 to spend. You dont. You have all your bills to pay, mortgage, council tax, gas and leccie etc to pay out of that.

What you have left is what you can spend buying what you want as opposed to need.

The club doesnt have income to spend without taking into consideration the bills, it's expenses like player wages and win bonuses, to pay out.

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

It was a statement of how much the club made last year and I acknowledge the cost for Kirkby wouldnt be met in full by the profit.

Let's talk hypotheticals for a moment. Some people seem to think the club has 40m or so profit from last year plus the income it had for this year. Let's say that is 360m. Plus the 40m profit, they say the club has 400m available to spend.

But that's like saying you had 2,000 savings last year and your wage this year is 28,000 so you have 30,000 to spend. You dont. You have all your bills to pay, mortgage, council tax, gas and leccie etc. The club doesnt have income to spend without taking into consideration the bills, it's expenses like player wages and win bonuses, to pay out.

Who the hell thinks that? Genuine question as I'd be shocked if anyone over the age of 14 didn't realise we also have an expenditure column.

16 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Fucking hell, who at the club said that. I agree, they should be sacked. Out of interest, what are their names and when did they say it?

I'll wait. 

Im talking in general not from the Club directly. The excuses that are constantly trotted out, year in year out, window to window. The local journalists were pushing Mbappe stories. Even now, whilst the Echo love to tell us we are not in for player x, everyday they flout stories about player x.

TBH i think its the local journalists I'm more pissed off with. Yeah i don't like the owners and never have, but the 'tow the line journalism' is what fucks me off the most. Theres no critical thinking because they've all got into bed with the Club, even the independent fan ones.

2 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Im talking in general not from the Club directly. The excuses that are constantly trotted out, year in year out, window to window. The local journalists were pushing Mbappe stories. Even now, whilst the Echo love to tell us we are not in for player x, everyday they flout stories about player x.

TBH i think its the local journalists I'm more pissed off with. Yeah i don't like the owners and never have, but the 'tow the line journalism' is what fucks me off the most. Theres no critical thinking because they've all got into bed with the Club, even the independent fan ones.

Well, I picked you up because you said the club, but I actually agree on a number of points. We haven't been buying for two windows, with the exception of Minamino for £4.50 and a pack of raisins, and even with this Covid thing we have been barrelling in money from all sorts of places. Prize money, TV money, sponsorship, etc. Money needs to be available to the manager if he wants players. Now, where we probably disagree is that FSG would likely be willing to spend if it makes sense and Klopp - who seems reluctant to fuck around too much unless they're the right player and right person - agrees. It has been two windows, I personally feel like now is the time for one or two big, high quality signings. Werner and Thiago level. 

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

Moneyball is about getting value for cash IIRC.

1. Willian - last year of contract

2. Thiago - last year of contract

3. Edinson Cavani - out of contract

4. Jan Vertonghen - out of contract 
5. Ainsley Maitland-Niles - less of a moneyball signing but he wants to leave allegedly

That’s assuming we won’t be paying through the nose to the player instead of through a transfer fee or the players only accepting long term contracts which we’ve seen cause loads of issue recently for plenty of teams.  Look at the state of the Ibrahimovic, Sánchez And Schweinsteiger deals.  That’s not even looking at the impact that would have on the established players getting less per week.

Personally I’d like to see us sign the top 2 the other 3 aren’t good enough.  Even then I think there’d be question marks over Willian.  Every time I see him I think he’s brilliant but the Chelsea fans I know don’t like him and say he’s poor more often than not.

8 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

We were never in for Mbappe, most of the stuff in the e ho is clickbait shite from other sources 99% of journalist local or not know nothing.

8 minutes ago, Moo said:

Who the hell thinks that? Genuine question as I'd be shocked if anyone over the age of 14 didn't realise we also have an expenditure column.

If our spend is based on income (which will be affected by Covid no one doubts that) shouldn't there be plenty to spend the summer based on last year's and this year's income?

Yeah, who would think that?

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

But that's like saying you had 2,000 savings last year and your wage this year is 28,000 so you have 30,000 to spend. You dont. You have all your bills to pay, mortgage, council tax, gas and leccie etc to pay out of that.

What you have left is what you can spend buying what you want as opposed to need.

The club doesnt have income to spend without taking into consideration the bills, it's expenses like player wages and win bonuses, to pay out.

As I said we are not sitting with ozil,Sanchez type contracts on our books the more we win the more the players get it's a bit like profit share but it is taken care of by the financial rewards gained by the success that is triggering bonuses. So theoretically the bigger contracts etc is a net zero . The other bills you mention are fixed costs which again every company or club has to take into account. What this thread is becoming exasperated with is investment in the squad either through loans or previous years profits. The conundrum for myself and others on here is that the more successful we are the less investment we see in the squad even in covid times it is counter intuitive. 

1 hour ago, J-V said:

Sancho 250k per week at 20. 

Not much change from a million quid a week on Sanchez, De Gea and Sancho. £1,000,000 per week and all they have to show for it as a promising kid. I remember the James Milner thread on here had his wages in the title, he looks cheap at those rates.

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

Moneyball is about getting value for cash IIRC.

1. Willian - last year of contract

2. Thiago - last year of contract

3. Edinson Cavani - out of contract

4. Jan Vertonghen - out of contract 
5. Ainsley Maitland-Niles - less of a moneyball signing but he wants to leave allegedly

Remind me not to allow you to do my accounts mate. There is no value for us in some of them. Signing on fee, wages etc. 

Just now, dockers_strike said:

Yeah, who would think that?

Are you taking the piss?  YOU used the word income initially, I was commenting on that.  And I didn't for one minute suggest that you didn't know the difference between income and profit because we're on a forum mostly made up of adults, or so I thought.

9 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Well, I picked you up because you said the club, but I actually agree on a number of points. We haven't been buying for two windows, with the exception of Minamino for £4.50 and a pack of raisins, and even with this Covid thing we have been barrelling in money from all sorts of places. Prize money, TV money, sponsorship, etc. Money needs to be available to the manager if he wants players. Now, where we probably disagree is that FSG would likely be willing to spend if it makes sense and Klopp - who seems reluctant to fuck around too much unless they're the right player and right person - agrees. It has been two windows, I personally feel like now is the time for one or two big, high quality signings. Werner and Thiago level. 

Aye i agree. We were never buying Mbappe or Sancho, we wouldn't pay their wages. Be nice to get a few half decent signings in though for a bit of cover. I think we will buy, I'm not sure how many and when. If they don't buy and cut the squad i'll be genuinely mystified.

Just now, BeefStroganoff said:

Aye i agree. We were never buying Mbappe or Sancho, we wouldn't pay their wages. Be nice to get a few half decent signings in though for a bit of cover. I think we will buy, I'm not sure how many and when. If they don't buy and cut the squad i'll be genuinely mystified.

I just can't see us selling the big degsy and not replacing him. Can't see it for a second. I think we will see a couple, but nobody huge. Maybe Thiago which would be big. I think we need an attacker too. I guess we will see. 

1 minute ago, clockspeed said:

As I said we are not sitting with ozil,Sanchez type contracts on our books the more we win the more the players get it's a bit like profit share but it is taken care of by the financial rewards gained by the success that is triggering bonuses. So theoretically the bigger contracts etc is a net zero . The other bills you mention are fixed costs which again every company or club has to take into account. What this thread is becoming exasperated with is investment in the squad either through loans or previous years profits. The conundrum for myself and others on here is that the more successful we are the less investment we see in the squad even in covid times it is counter intuitive. 

The bigger contracts include the PL win bonus etc may normally be self financing, not sure about net zero, in normal circumstance. But these arent normal circumstances.

The club has had current and foreseeable ticketing and related income streams cut to zero. They refunded season ticket \ members money for the last 4 games. There's also the lost hospitality income, match day souvie sales plus they've had less tv income than expected.

Of course we wont know the full extent of the lost income for about 18 months. People say the loss of ticketing revenue doesnt affect the club much because of the other income streams but it's not that straightforward.