You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Are we the only side with African players?

I don't care where they are from but it seems crazy to build a squad knowing you will lose 5 players during the busiest part of the season for a month. If these deals where to happen. The ACON is no longer a summer tournament with any regularity as its not possible to hold it in the summer in many countries. 

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

As crazy as passing on the best players?

When the replacement for the best players is also going to be called up it starts to get silly. 

It's not like we have the biggest squad as it is.its the risk you take with Salah and Mane but you then say buy Sarr to back them up and when you need him, he's off with them. It's likely to only come up every couple of years but can easily be the difference in a trophy or not. 

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I guess. Would doubt that crosses minds at the club when they are looking at transfers tbh.

Klopp did say something about having second thoughts after this latest one was due to be moved from summer to January. 

I love having players from all around the world in the squad. Its just a major issue with African players disappearing during important parts of the season and there's nothing you cam do. Especially when they are often players through injury like Nabby was cause the international coach doesn't give a fuck if he misses the next 2 months of the season with his job on the line. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thisisanfield.com/2020/01/it-doesnt-help-african-players-klopp-lambasts-authorities-after-afcon-schedule-change/amp/

49 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Love seeing United splash out 120 mil on a single player, meanwhile we shift three of our highest earners off the books and still can't manage 30m on proven world class.

Something fishy going on with the club. Up until covid 19 we were in the strongest financial position in our history. Hell, few clubs in the world could match our revenue so why are suddenly getting stingy? Some rumourmongers have said that FSG's businesses in the USA are struggling due to covid 19 and that they're using our money to help prop them up. It sounded ridiculous but the longer it appears we aren't signing anyone, the more believable the rumours become. 

26 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Heh heh this Club.

Last summer:

"we arnt buying because Mbappe is coming with the new Nike deal"

"We don't need anyone now we can get them next summer"

This summer

"We can wait, we don't need anyone till next year and we can sell Salah or Mane"

Pathetic. Global elite my arse.

A lot of aren’t happy beefy mate, you’re a good poster but stop going over the old ground. You can be salvaged from one or two of the other stuck records on here.

10 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Something fishy going on with the club. Up until covid 19 we were in the strongest financial position in our history. Hell, few clubs in the world could match our revenue so why are suddenly getting stingy? Some rumourmongers have said that FSG's businesses in the USA are struggling due to covid 19 and that they're using our money to help prop them up. It sounded ridiculous but the longer it appears we aren't signing anyone, the more believable the rumours become. 

The stroganoff signal has gone up

10 minutes ago, Baltar said:

There's nothing fishy at all. The club is self sufficient. Ergo, it depends on it's income not handouts from someone.

I dont know why people continually ignore the fact united are 400+m in debt and took another loan of 120m out at the beginning of the year. Sure, Liverpool could buy Sancho for 100+m and 340k a week wages, all for a lad who's achieved the square root of fuck all in the game if we were lumped with a 500m debt millstone.

As for the longer we go without signing anyone, the more believable the rumours become, well yeah, if you repeat the lie enough i guess it becomes the truth to some.

• Downvote 2

If our spend is based on income (which will be affected by Covid no one doubts that) shouldn't there be plenty to spend the summer based on last year's and this year's income?  Therefore theoretically it would be next year's spending that would be affected most, and so on?

Just now, Moo said:

If our spend is based on income (which will be affected by Covid no one doubts that) shouldn't there be plenty to spend the summer based on last year's and this year's income?  Therefore theoretically it would be next year's spending that would be affected most, and so on?

The club made 42m profit last season. It's paying 50m for the Kirkby upgrade. Im not suggesting all or even most of the Kirkby cost is being met out of all the last season's profit as that no doubt has paid for other things as well.

47 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Heh heh this Club.

Last summer:

This summer

"We can wait, we don't need anyone till next year and we can sell Salah or Mane"

Shut up you tit. 

51 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Heh heh this Club.

Last summer:

This summer

Fucking hell, who at the club said that. I agree, they should be sacked. Out of interest, what are their names and when did they say it?

I'll wait. 

47 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Heh heh this Club.

Last summer:

This summer

On top off  all that we kept hearing that our players were on reasonable wages heavily incentivised based on on field success the theory being the more we win the greater financial rewards the club would see from competition and commercial deals. Turns out somehow these bonuses are now constraining our ability to strengthen the squad. 

Personally I don't think we are that financially inept it's all bullshit.

1 minute ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I think most of us are, not a great deal we can do is there.

This.

It could be far worse and we are still very capable of regaining the title next year and challenging for No7.

It is a major concern though moving forward if this continues.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

The club made 42m profit last season. It's paying 50m for the Kirkby upgrade. Im not suggesting all or even most of the Kirkby cost is being met out of all the last season's profit as that no doubt has paid for other things as well.

Need an accountant here but above will be Capital  Expenditure  and will be written off over x number of years. Should not affect our ability to maintain a decent squad without relying on unproven talent.