You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

United getting sancho thats a frightening attack theyre building. I know yeah "but Ole is shit" more great players cant harm your chances they will put to bed most sides through the skill up top alone  i don't believe we or city of the previous few years will show the same unbelievable consistency being near flawless again I can see city repeating this season theyve just had in terms of consistency. The gap will shrink like we shrunk it when we came second. We go again with no additions i just think we will make the job so much harder for ourselves.  We seem completely risk averse invest now for the return later, instead its money first. No lay on for you crack fiend I'm tired of chasing you down.

Remind you of anyone ? . Frightening attack * with options and dodgy defence,  so so midfield. The clamour next year will be for them to buy proper CB and keeper (which they have at Sheffield) If and it's a big if they can find someone close to VVD they will contend in a couple of years time even with Ole there . 

Shows why it is vital we have a plan to replace our triumvirate next 3 to. 4 years. Elliot seems to be the only one identified as yet. 

As I said swallow our pride and get Phil back for a year if the worry is long term effect of covid and the financial outlook then that's the deal that makes most sense . That plus couple of home grown defenders (again Kelly seems sensible option although not overly impressed)  is best we can hope for this window. 

Going to be one of those meh windows I fear. If Klopp pulls off title next year it will be his greatest managerial achievement to date. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Daisy said:

We are the only club in history that gets poorer with more success, yet FSG are lauded. 

We would have more money to spend under Moores and Parry. 

The best manager on the planet, a European Cup, a League Title and champions of the world kind of does crazy things like that. 

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

I believe Klopp is fine with FSG on that matter. The balance in the team matters more to him than signing big names.

if he wants a left back deputy and and an option in attack, he will get them.

Well that's not true is it. He wanted Werner and didn't get him

16 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Don't understand why Sancho would choose Utd. Unless he's guaranteed to be taking pens and also on a £100k per goal bonus.

I'm going to assume that he's been sold the idea of a long-term plan for him, Greenwood and Rashford to be their front 3, and probably Gareth Southgate has been on the phone telling him to 'do it for England, son'.

Which is fine, but that team is miles away from challenging us and City.  People go on about Pogba, and Martial, but I think they're hugely overrated in this division, and the likes of Rojo, Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly, Lingard, Fred, Perreira, Shaw, etc, fuck me, it's like when we had Cole, Poulson, Aquilani, Dossena, Degen, Skrtel, Insua, Babel, and you wondered how you'd ever be able to clear the decks and get new players in, there was so many of them. 

44 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

I believe Klopp is fine with FSG on that matter. The balance in the team matters more to him than signing big names.

if he wants a left back deputy and and an option in attack, he will get them.

There seems to be some idea the signings have to be big names. I think quite a few people are frustrated at some of the players going to Chelsea and maybe the mancs, but that's because we've been led to believe from the propaganda press that these are the players we've been keeping our powder dry for. Personally I couldn't care less about names, I just want the manager to get what he wants, he's earned that. He's on record this summer of saying he could improve this squad, but uncertainty is his enemy. FSG are doing pretty well out of this asset and they've an absolutely unique talent in klopp, backing him and allowing him to move forward with this team would seem to me to be the least they could do. 

• Upvote 7

I can see the rationale for our approach given the type of ownership we have. I would have been pretty certain pre-pandemic that Mane or Salah would have moved on this summer so there is that upside too. 

On a side note, I’d be more worried about Man United if they upgraded on their goalkeeper and back four. Chelsea seem to be going for a similar approach so far in terms of only signing attacking players. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

And Dalglish wanted Gascoigne and was told no and the economy wasnt being trashed by Government and other vested interests at the time. And that's only one example.

Wasn't that because we had already spent a lot on Rush coming back? Also, we were also one season away from going on a 30 year run without the title. 

Probably not the best example to use. 

2 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I can see the rationale for our approach given the type of ownership we have. 

On a side note, I’d be more worried about Man United if they upgraded on their goalkeeper and back four. Chelsea seem to be going for a similar approach so far in terms of only signing attacking players. 

It baffles me, Arsenal being the worst offenders in buying players that are nice to have rather than need to have

I would imagine that Chelsea and Utd are just trying to take advantage of the market. 

Prior to lockdown, neither would probably have expected to be able to get Sancho, Werner or Havertz. They would prob have gone to other teams. 

Perhaps they think these guys are going to be the top players of their generation and have to strike now to get them, even if they are week in other areas. Perhaps it was now or never to get these attacking players, so they have had to sacrifice the defence for a year. Who knows. 

In the case of Utd, given the age of the attacking players, they certainly have a few years to sort the defence. 

Reliable journos have said this about other top 6 transfer targets in the past few days:

City: Koulibaly or Diego Carlos, Joao Felix or Lautaro Martinez

United: Sancho

Spurs: Hojbjerg, David Brooks, Callum Wilson, Kim Min Jae, Castagne

Chelsea: Havertz, Rice, Chilwell, GK

Arsenal: Willian, Coutinho

44 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I can see the rationale for our approach given the type of ownership we have. I would have been pretty certain pre-pandemic that Mane or Salah would have moved on this summer so there is that upside too. 

They might not do it but they already have a serious upgrade on current form De Gea in Romero and Henderson

21 minutes ago, El Diego said:

We seemed to be the only club not sniffing round Willian. Maybe we can’t afford free transfers either?

His agent is trying to negotiate a signing-on bonus of more than £10m, and a salary much higher than any of our current players.

It can be easy to forget that Klopp has never had the ability to simply retain his best players before. 

Perhaps what appears to be contentment from Klopp is that he is currently keeping his title-winning team together while developing a quality bunch of kids. 

If that's the worst case scenario right now, then things aren't too bad. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, A_S said:

It can be easy to forget that Klopp has never had the ability to simply retain his best players before. 

Perhaps what appears to be contentment from Klopp is that he is currently keeping his title-winning team together while developing a quality bunch of kids. 

If that's the worst case scenario right now, then things aren't too bad. 

Yeah, keeping the team together is something we also struggled with before his arrival, a problem mirrored during his time at Dortmund. 

While I’m sure it isn’t the intention, some of the contributions on this thread paint Klopp as a complete mug, completely oblivious to the owners setting him up for a season of failure. 

With Spurs and Arsenal looking as badly off as they have been in 20 years, it makes sense for Utd and Chelsea to speculate now and recreate a new closed shop top 4. Even with the signings they look like completing I still don't think they have achieved guaranteed top 4.