You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

55 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Haha right there with ya pal. 

Watching Sancho go to the Mancs, Torres and Ake go to the cheats, Werner and potentially Havertz go to frank's 'big uns' makes it all the most difficult to swallow.

Aston villa are said to be sending over 100m this year, after doing the same last. But yeah, COVID and all that...

Some folk will believe anything. Villa escaped breaching the EFL's spending limits by getting promoted to the PL. The PL has slightly less stringent spending regulations.

If they hadnt got promoted, they would have been heavily sanctioned by the EFL with a points deduction and are another club who have sold their ground to their owner in an attempt to stay within the EFL limits.

But even if Villa did spend 100m on top of the 140m they spent at the beginning of the season, they'd seriously breach even the PL's spending limits.

But whatever, hyperbole and all that.

7 hours ago, Code said:

It looks like our owners seem to think the prices should drop between 30-50% In the markert because of the Corona situation.

They will not, there will be a vaccine next year and things will go back to normal during 2021.

We cant afford to be left behind because of this theory they have?  Are we selling players on the cheap?

That's just an excuse. Of course we're not selling players on the cheap. They leak they think the prices are too high because of corona because loads will lap it up and the deal will never be done. It's Everton tactics from before moshiri

6 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Our owners are just generally tight cunts, corona or not. There was no COVID last summer and we didn't spend a dime.

People will feel that decision was vindicated because of everything we won this year but the reality is that Klopp has performed a miracle in spite on that decision, not because of it. We also may have won the FA Cup and still be in the CL if we had bought a back up keeper better than Adrian.

The reason we are not spending money is because the owners have used all of it to pay for the stadium expansion and training ground. Thats over 100m taken from the coffers. Had we had that money (and the owners paid for it out of their pocket), we would have around 50m to spend last summer and this before sales. That's a lot more reasonable.

I reckon Jurgen's budget this summer is 15-20m net. He's a genius but fuck me we're really testing his ability to make miracles happen.

I will be amazed if we net spend this summer and if we do it'll be on the back of the wage bill being substantially reduced to cover it. If we spend 20m, the wage bill will have come down by 100k per week I reckon. 

Chelsea putting up to 5 five players up for sale - Marcus Alonso, Kurt Zouma, Andreas Christensen, Emerson Palmieri and possibly Ngolo Kante could be made available for transfer. 

Ship out all the defenders for attacking players seems wise. 

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Kante -- sheesh. The guy went from one of the best players in the world to being bombed out.

Wonder if his decision to not come back after lockdown is to blame.

I think he's just starting to get too injury prone. And he's probably not going to get better at his age. I bet they think they can sucker a club who think he's still the best in the world. 

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

He has had one injury hasn't he?

Played 130 games the last three years - that is without coming back to finish these last 10 for them.

He's been missing chunks of time consistently this season and he's got some kind of heart defect. 

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

The heart thing came out years ago - he then played over 50 games the next season. 

Ok, but that's not the point. Under current circumstances, his heart condition is a problem and like I said, he's missed chunks of games this season. 4 separate times this season he's missed games for periods of about 3 weeks each. Not a good sign. For where they are as a club, young team, etc..., I don't think putting him on the market is a bad decision.  

Has anyone been following Emerson Palmieri over there? How's he done?

I know before his big injury a couple of years back he was our first choice at left back before Robertson (if you believe the reports, which were from pretty credible people if memory serves). I haven't seen him do much there so I wonder if we'd still be interested for Robertson's backup or not?

I suppose it would probably depend on the price.

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Has anyone been following Emerson Palmieri over there? How's he done?

I know before his big injury a couple of years back he was our first choice at left back before Robertson (if you believe the reports, which were from pretty credible people if memory serves). I haven't seen him do much there so I wonder if we'd still be interested for Robertson's backup or not?

I suppose it would probably depend on the price.

Not too great given their interest in the 18yr old Real madrid left back, Rugelio I think who was voted the best left back in their league last year.

3 hours ago, The Gaul said:

I will be amazed if we net spend this summer and if we do it'll be on the back of the wage bill being substantially reduced to cover it. If we spend 20m, the wage bill will have come down by 100k per week I reckon. 

That's exactly what I think. 15-20m net if we are lucky, and only because by that point we've shifted half the squad and taken 200m off the wage bill - so it's really just us breaking even. We won't be bringing anybody in who commands notable wages.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

That's exactly what I think. 15-20m net if we are lucky, and only because by that point we've shifted half the squad and taken 200m off the wage bill - so it's really just us breaking even. We won't be bringing anybody in who commands notable wages.

We're obviously not going to sign anyone.  Klopp has already said it.

The club don't know exactly how much they're going to lose from the Covid situation, and until that sorts itself out they are not going to countenance any spending.

FSG won't put the club in big debt and they won't float any of their own money in to cover it either.

United getting sancho thats a frightening attack theyre building. I know yeah "but Ole is shit" more great players cant harm your chances they will put to bed most sides through the skill up top alone  i don't believe we or city of the previous few years will show the same unbelievable consistency being near flawless again I can see city repeating this season theyve just had in terms of consistency. The gap will shrink like we shrunk it when we came second. We go again with no additions i just think we will make the job so much harder for ourselves.  We seem completely risk averse invest now for the return later, instead its money first. No lay on for you crack fiend I'm tired of chasing you down.