You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

I think it would be a stupid, bordering on reckless decision to forgo noteworthy signings for a second summer in a row, particularly as we’ve lost players. It’s hard for me to see a genuine title challenge if, in addition to those who have already gone, we sell and don’t replace Matip while those around us strengthen.

Yet...I’m not fussed about Sancho. That’s crazy money even by today’s standards for a player who is barely 20, and he’d have to accept at least a year, possibly two primarily from the bench here. As it is, he’s a £100m+ player, and the pressure to justify that is not to be underestimated. We’ve seen prematurely enormous price tags attached to plenty of young players before, and they have the potential to derail careers. Sancho has to be absolutely outstanding immediately; a disappointing first season and he’ll never live up the expectations many have of him.

For all the talk of ‘generational’ talents, it’s rare that they make winning teams by themselves. The only one Ferguson ever signed was by accident, because as gifted as Ronaldo was, there was little at that age to suggest he’d go on to be one of the best of all time. That he has is down to his ridiculous dedication as much as ability.

36 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I honestly think Sancho is an accident waiting to happen for that sort of money.  They do this with players constantly, just buying into the press hype every time.

Yep, been saying the same since we were first linked with him. Bringing in a young English player for stupid money and immediately making him our top earner would fuck things up in a lot of ways.  

On top of the Covid business we’ll have had players earning big bonuses for winning the league and CL in the last two seasons. That’s got to impact the transfer budget. 

29 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

True but it just makes a mockery of the excuse that there's never any money, particularly when the club goes on about overtaking the Mancs in revenue and we have less debt.

I'm not saying we should spend 120m on one player but there should be some money available. 

If the Mancs got a decent manager then we need to worry.

Agreed on all points.

We'll see at the end of the window, but based on the track record of our owners I don't think it will paint a pretty picture.

Thank Fowler we've got Jurgen, he has elevated us to levels way beyond investment - but I still hope the owners don't do him a disservice this summer.  We desperately need a left back at the bare minimum, and we should expect another option for the front three but even those low expectations feel like a luxury at the moment.

6 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Are those Barca wages legit?

Football leaks have Messi at €2m per week, before endorsements and bonuses! So that’s about right. The rest look probable, stupid but probable for top tier wages, except Griezman, surely the can’t be that high? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportsjoe.ie/amp/football/football-leaks-reveal-lionel-messis-staggering-wages-barcelona-signing-new-contract-147118

• Like 1

I reckon they’ve added up all their earnings and are making out that it’s all coming from Barca.  If you google Messi’s salary then it says 26m per year which is more believable.  Then he’s probably had a massive signing on fee and a load of money from Nike and Pepsi as well.  The same will be for Griezmann.  The others below aren’t that wild considering the money they bring in.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Football leaks have Messi at €2m per week, before endorsements and bonuses! So that’s about right. The rest look probable, stupid but probable for top tier wages, except Griezman, surely the can’t be that high? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportsjoe.ie/amp/football/football-leaks-reveal-lionel-messis-staggering-wages-barcelona-signing-new-contract-147118

Absolutely mental.

3 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Ferguson choosing Moyes was ALWAYS going to end in tears and Ferguson almost certainly knew that. He wanted to protect his legacy and show the Mancs just how lucky they were to have him.

This is nonsense. Ferguson saw a lot of himself in Moyes (No idea why?) It was a sentimental decision and he really thought Moyes could continue where he left off.  

I think Ferguson lost his way a bit towards the end. The interview where he said Phil Jones would go on to become their greatest ever player was barking mad!

18 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Don't understand why Sancho would choose Utd. Unless he's guaranteed to be taking pens and also on a £100k per goal bonus.

He would prefer to come here but we won't make a move for him. 

As far as I can tell United are the only club willing to pay the huge fee for him. 

26 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

This is nonsense. Ferguson saw a lot of himself in Moyes (No idea why?) It was a sentimental decision and he really thought Moyes could continue where he left off.  

I think Ferguson lost his way a bit towards the end. The interview where he said Phil Jones would go on to become their greatest ever player was barking mad!

unnamed.jpg

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

We need to sign someone, man. I'm bored to death already and the season ended a week ago. Never thought I'd say this, but Coutinho on loan is starting to be attractive to me just on the basis that it would be a fucking signing. 

Haha right there with ya pal. 

Watching Sancho go to the Mancs, Torres and Ake go to the cheats, Werner and potentially Havertz go to frank's 'big uns' makes it all the most difficult to swallow.

Aston villa are said to be sending over 100m this year, after doing the same last. But yeah, COVID and all that...