You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

9 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Loved him when he was here and I must admit, a very small part of me feels for Coutinho over his failed move to Barcelona. It's clear to me he was angling for a move away from Liverpool well before this deal actually happened. And the reason? Joorabchian, a supposed super agent who could take his new client's career to the next level, if you pardon the bullshit.

He's been reduced to being hawked around clubs. If he thought Bayern was going to be a bolt hole after Barcelona, he soon found out they had no intention of buying him.

So it looks like a return to the PL with a few clubs interested in him. I think he'll end up at arsenal. No way do I want him back, made your bed, now lie in it son.

Philippe Coutinho would never have envisioned his Barcelona career going so pear shaped that two years later he would be searching for a new club.

But that is the reality of his situation. Barcelona want to put the expensive mistake behind them and reclaim as much of the £145million they spent on Coutinho as they can while Bayern Munich, who had the Brazilian on loan last season, are not interested in signing him permanently. 

Now, a summer move back to England appears the most likeliest option with his agent Kia Joorabchian admitting that there is 'genuine interest' from several Premier League clubs.

I think it’s too easy to blame the agent.  Players in Coutinho’s position at the time don’t do anything they don’t want to.  He wanted the Barcelona move for obvious reasons.  His agent got him the best possible money out of it.

I don’t want him back now either really.  He’s been out of the premier league too long.  We don’t really have a position for him with the current set up.  He will be even worse if he goes somewhere else here I think as well so I wouldn’t worry about him going to Arsenal etc.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Ainsley Maitland-Niles would be a smart buy as he could cover both LB and RB positions. 

He needs to be a regular starter somewhere and by the sounds of it that’s what he wants.  His career will go backwards if he goes somewhere to sit on the bench again and he knows it.

14 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Ainsley Maitland-Niles would be a smart buy as he could cover both LB and RB positions. 

Would be a typical FSG signing - they’d be thinking of all the extra cash they’d make with all those letters on the back of replica shirts. 

11 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

It seems like their bodies can't cope with the physical demands placed on the squad. Not much point in keeping injury prone players as part of the squad if they are rarely available. 

Not sure you can blame the demands put on the players because they play for us. All squads we've ever had have had crocks and it's not like we play against a bunch of alehouse teams. I'm pretty sure last time all those running stats were released, we were mid-table. I'm not saying we don't out demands on our players, I'm just saying so do most other teams and some fellas are more fragile than others, some are just don't have the body to play football anywhere and some are probably just a bit unlucky. 

I still think we need another centre back regardless, the number of great attacking sides over the last 30 years that we've had that have ultimately failed to achieve their potential because the better defenders have been regularly unavailable is, well, about three...

Still too many.

1 hour ago, Code said:

Matip needs to stay. Simple.

Yeah agree. Actually thought he played the best football of his LFC career this year. Injury prone no doubt but good footballer. For those wanting to cut or losses and let him go need to reflect on his contribution to our  points gathering last year compared to the likes of Keita for example. 

Coutinho is too inconsistent to play in this team.  You could put up with it when the team was inconsistent as well.  But not now.

And yeah, another CB is essential.  All four CBs have been getting games the last couple of years and none of the Kids are ready for more than the cups yet.

2 hours ago, Rotpeter said:

Coutinho is too inconsistent to play in this team.  You could put up with it when the team was inconsistent as well.  But not now.

And yeah, another CB is essential.  All four CBs have been getting games the last couple of years and none of the Kids are ready for more than the cups yet.

I'd take a punt if he accepts he's not guaranteed a permanent start. Might bring the best out in Bobby again as well, and the free kicks would be very welcome also .

2 hours ago, Rotpeter said:

I think he’d be a good option from the bench if he’d take wages to match, but he’s proven at every club he’s been at now that he’s never going to be an integral part of an elite team. He would improve a club of Arsenal's standing in the short-term though.

So...looks like Sancho to United is a matter of time now. Apparently Dortmund want it sorted by Aug 10 and the mancs are looking at paying 90m up front with the remaining 30m in add ons/installments. 

Pretty gutting watching all these clubs get a free run at the top talent of this generation. Sancho, Havertz, Werner, Torres.

26 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I think he’d be a good option from the bench if he’d take wages to match, but he’s proven at every club he’s been at now that he’s never going to be an integral part of an elite team. He would improve a club of Arsenal's standing in the short-term though.

Yeah, that's kinda my take too.  Alas, he seems to be one of those brazillians that about the money and the national team and not a lot else.

It looks like our owners seem to think the prices should drop between 30-50% In the markert because of the Corona situation.

They will not, there will be a vaccine next year and things will go back to normal during 2021.

We cant afford to be left behind because of this theory they have?  Are we selling players on the cheap?

49 minutes ago, Code said:

It looks like our owners seem to think the prices should drop between 30-50% In the markert because of the Corona situation.

They will not, there will be a vaccine next year and things will go back to normal during 2021.

We cant afford to be left behind because of this theory they have?  Are we selling players on the cheap?

Our owners are just generally tight cunts, corona or not. There was no COVID last summer and we didn't spend a dime.

People will feel that decision was vindicated because of everything we won this year but the reality is that Klopp has performed a miracle in spite on that decision, not because of it. We also may have won the FA Cup and still be in the CL if we had bought a back up keeper better than Adrian.

The reason we are not spending money is because the owners have used all of it to pay for the stadium expansion and training ground. Thats over 100m taken from the coffers. Had we had that money (and the owners paid for it out of their pocket), we would have around 50m to spend last summer and this before sales. That's a lot more reasonable.

I reckon Jurgen's budget this summer is 15-20m net. He's a genius but fuck me we're really testing his ability to make miracles happen.