You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

I’m zen like that Money Supermarket cow this summer. Can’t believe how many of you are losing your shit, just enjoy the afterglow of finally being champions ffs.

That was last season, Vincent. This one is fucking crap, and I'm feewming.

• Upvote 1

Really hope next year  is a real breakthrough for Jones. Needs to play in the midfield three though for me. 

See him and Keita to fight out the one spot opposite Hendo, Gini with Fabinho behind. 

Nabby started to look good after the break, still needs to take over games a bit more for me. We really need that drive from midfield at times

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Really hope next year  is a real breakthrough for Jones. Needs to play in the midfield three though for me. 

See him and Keita to fight out the one spot opposite Hendo, Gini with Fabinho behind. 

Isnt that a midfield four?

Does anyone think we shouldn't have our full backs playing the same way every game. It feels like teams have kind of found an answer. I think we should buy players that means we can adjust our style but still have top players on the pitch. I thought werner was the answer to shifting play more through the middle. Our first 11 is exceptional at what it does but as other sides analyse our play over the last two years and work at ways to combat it buying other players top players throws another spanner in the works. You don't stay competitive standing still its not even about our players lacking the hunger but other sides learning from watching the same side for near 3 years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The Ev bidding £18m for a back up full back to Digne?

I’d say more likely Digne is leaving as well. 

Like the “Ethiad sponsored New Mestilla Stadium”, I can see the “Ethiad sponsored Bramley Moor Dock Stadium” being announced by the end of the year.

371A5175-8FC9-407A-822B-4B1074CEC4D5.png

According to l’Equipe today, Klopp tried indeed to hyjack Osimenh’s tranfer  at Napoli. 

The newspaper also reports the Italian club is funding the love by selling Koulibaly.

No facts given, looks like poor journalism to me.

4 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Does anyone think we shouldn't have our full backs playing the same way every game. It feels like teams have kind of found an answer. I think we should buy players that means we can adjust our style but still have top players on the pitch. I thought werner was the answer to shifting play more through the middle. Our first 11 is exceptional at what it does but as other sides analyse our play over the last two years and work at ways to combat it buying other players top players throws another spanner in the works. You don't stay competitive standing still its not even about our players lacking the hunger but other sides learning from watching the same side for near 3 years.

Full backs not sussed.

pgLAtkl.png

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, RoyHodgeGone said:

I think there is a point in terms of the variety of play. I know we need players who fit 'our' system but we also need a bit of flexibility in how we set up so teams can't just nullify us in advance.

People have known about Trent and Robbo for a while now. So Robbo goes off and equals the record for most assists by a defender.  Trent responds by extending his own record set the season before.  All while adding goals to their game.

Nullify that!

5 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

That's hopefully the point of getting a midfielder of Thiago's technical quality and seeing Keita continue to emerge. So the buildup through the centre is better and so that we have players who can play it through the lines and we don't just rely on crosses from Trent and Robbo. 

Werner would have really just been another similar front 3 player to Salah and Mane, who can come into the box from wide and interchange positions. Not much of a change from what we currently do, more of a supplement.  

One of the pundits (can't remember who, think it may have been Linekar) said last week that he doesn't understand why our opponents don't just "stop the fullbacks", when it's clearly not that simple.  Stop the fullbacks and then what? Stop Mane and Salah too?  We were much more direct a couple of years ago, so go ahead if you want to man mark both fullbacks we'll just play it straight into Salah and Mane more.  We could do with a creative threatening midfielder though just in case an opponent works out how to nullify all four of Salah, Mane, TAA and Robertson in one go.  Not impossible of course but not likely on a regular basis.

5 minutes ago, Moo said:

One of the pundits (can't remember who, think it may have been Linekar) said last week that he doesn't understand why our opponents don't just "stop the fullbacks", when it's clearly not that simple.  Stop the fullbacks and then what? Stop Mane and Salah too?  We were much more direct a couple of years ago, so go ahead if you want to man mark both fullbacks we'll just play it straight into Salah and Mane more.  We could do with a creative threatening midfielder though just in case an opponent works out how to nullify all four of Salah, Mane, TAA and Robertson in one go.  Not impossible of course but not likely on a regular basis.

Keita and firmino are the key to playing through the middle.  And I think most can see there is a lot more to come from Nabby.

And don't forget this all in the context of teams sitting back against us, for what, 2 years now.

1 hour ago, Butch said:

Definitely need someone in midfield who can open defences, just the nabi before he came here used to be great at. 

The Naby who ended the season was the player I thought we signed. Hopefully it continues next season. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

How much is there still to learn from this coach. Heres the technique practice the fucking thing.

Apparently it's not just a case of throwing the ball far, he helps with the tactical play, much like how you'd practice certain runs from corners and indirect free kicks. 

Our retention of possession from throw ins is really high compared to other teams, even if we've already learned everything he knows it's worth paying to retain him just so another team doesn't nab him and learn his tricks.