You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

1 hour ago, The Golden Eel said:

I always wondered how come Jimenez scored so few goals in Portugal? 

Yea, throughout his career he has not been much of a goal scorer.

I think the fact that Wolves are set up for him - plus playing in every single game (one of the reasons he probably would not be a good option for us) has helped him immensely. 

Be interesting to see if he can keep it up but right now comparisons to players like Michu and Angel are appropriate.

36 minutes ago, aRdja said:

You don’t think we could do with a different option upfront?

I think we could do with someone other than a 29 year old out and out centre forward who would cost a bomb and may be very well unsuited to the way we play.

6 minutes ago, Em City said:

I think we could do with someone other than a 29 year old out and out centre forward who would cost a bomb and may be very well unsuited to the way we play.

You would’ve said no to Lewandowski two years ago?

3 hours ago, clockspeed said:

Now I know I have been blabbering about Havertz and based on what happened with Werner I know in my heart of hearts that pie in the sky also but I can hold my hand up and say I have never passed comment with Mbappe in the title. I may be slightly delusional that our owners may try and push the squad on from a position of strength and create another era of dominance but who in their right minds thinks Mbappe would come to us never mind us affording him. 

Moores as an owner  gets quite a bit of negativity on this forum but for those a bit younger we need to remember we bought Barnes (best player in league 1), Beardsley (2nd best player in league 1), Houghton (to an already packed talented midfield) and Aldo midway through season before cause we knew Rush was leaving. I think you could say we kicked on from a position of strength. 

I think that was a bit before Moores time. He may have been a significant shareholder then, but I'm pretty sure John Smith was still chairman and Peter Robinson was company secretary (strangely the title given to the bloke who'd be called MD or CEO today doing his job). Unless the club needed to go out and get money (such as when we expanded the kemlyn road which resulted in Moores becoming majority shareholder), I'm not sure the shareholders had much of a say in the running of the club. Robinson and Smith ran the show, Kenny chose the players on no criteria but his own as long as he had the money. 

15 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

You're such a troll, it's unbelievable. 

Not at all. I know we won’t sign him because he’d be too expensive, but to dismiss a good player because he’s 29

is absurd. Virgil is 29. Lewandowski had his best ever season last year, no?

3 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Not at all. I know we won’t sign him because he’d be too expensive, but to dismiss a good player because he’s 29

is absurd. Virgil is 29. Lewandowski had his best  ever season last year.

You know what this is about, you compared Raul fucking Jimenez to one of the best #9's of his generation. Yes, Robert Lewandowski, who scored 50 goals this season would be a fine transfer target, despite his age. Thiago, who is 29 for 35m is a fine transfer target, despite his age. 

Raul Jimenez who doesn't have 50 goals in his Wolves career and would cost van Dijk money is a lot dumber. You've got to be kidding.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

You know what this is about, you compared Raul fucking Jimenez to one of the best #9's of his generation. Yes, Robert Lewandowski, who scored 50 goals this season would be a fine transfer target, despite his age. Thiago, who is 29 for 35m is a fine transfer target, despite his age. 

Raul Jimenez who doesn't have 50 goals in his Wolves career and would cost van Dijk money is a lot dumber. You've got to be kidding.

He’s a very good striker. I like him. I’ve said that a number of times here. He’d bring something different to the team. Yeah he’d probably be expensive, but wouldn’t be more than what we paid for Virgil (£75m) I wouldn’t have thought? For the right price he’d be a good move, as he’s proven in the league, and it’d take away a very good player from a dangerous team. I wouldn’t pay more than £40m though.

1 minute ago, aRdja said:

I wouldn’t pay more than £40m. 

Which is a bit like - oooh , nice watch, I'll give you 500 for it.

Juventus have been linked with an €80m deal for Wolves striker Raul Jimenez, despite reports that he was nearing a move to Manchester United.

11 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

I think that was a bit before Moores time. He may have been a significant shareholder then, but I'm pretty sure John Smith was still chairman and Peter Robinson was company secretary (strangely the title given to the bloke who'd be called MD or CEO today doing his job). Unless the club needed to go out and get money (such as when we expanded the kemlyn road which resulted in Moores becoming majority shareholder), I'm not sure the shareholders had much of a say in the running of the club. Robinson and Smith ran the show, Kenny chose the players on no criteria but his own as long as he had the money. 

you probably are correct. Got a bit carried away  however I remember that transfer summer (no window then) like yesterday . The sun was shining, we had the best manager in League  and best team lets throw in Barnes and Beardsley lord help the rest.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Juventus have been linked with an €80m deal for Wolves striker Raul Jimenez, despite reports that he was nearing a move to Manchester United.

Yeah that’s a bit much for someone who wouldn’t start every game for us.

I’m not sure if I’m super comfortable with Origi, Minamino and Ox as our only forward options outside of the main three starters next year. We could do with proper competition upfront like we have in midfield. I really think so.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Wolves bought him for around £35m last summer. But no yeah, slap £40m on the table and he's sure to be yours!

4 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

you probably are correct. Got a bit carried away  however I remember that transfer summer (no window then) like yesterday . The sun was shining, we had the best manager in League  and best team lets throw in Barnes and Beardsley lord help the rest.

It was an amazing summer. Then we chucked in Houghton early in the season  and not long later rushie was back. I liked being able to buy players at any time - well aside from those last few weeks.