You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

14 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Nah, this is self-delusion. If you think he is going out of his way to praise them although he doesn't like them, you're really just making it up. It makes him a liar. He could just be quiet. And you calling it 'name checking' rather than repeated profuse praise is evident of your bias. 

As for finding out when he leaves. Do you have Kenny Dalglish, who is not employed by FSG, as a liar? Let me guess, he's just too classy to speak out about the detrimental ownership of the club. 

Okay, sure. Everyone in the know agrees with you they're only saying the opposite because of *reasons*. 

I think there is something in Klopp's management style, that wants everyone in the club to feel part of the same thing and pulling in the same direction. Honestly, the tea ladies aren't really contributing to much in the grand scheme of things, but he goes out of his way to bring them along too. I have no idea what Klopp really does or doesn't think of the owners, but I don't think him saying nice things is conclusive either way. He's intelligent enough to know that if he wants to get as much from them as possible, that he needs to be on good terms with them, rather than butting heads.

I have no idea either way, and it's impossible for any of us to know.

10 minutes ago, Horus said:

I think there is something in Klopp's management style, that wants everyone in the club to feel part of the same thing and pulling in the same direction. Honestly, the tea ladies aren't really contributing to much in the grand scheme of things, but he goes out of his way to bring them along too. I have no idea what Klopp really does or doesn't think of the owners, but I don't think him saying nice things is conclusive either way. He's intelligent enough to know that if he wants to get as much from them as possible, that he needs to be on good terms with them, rather than butting heads.

I have no idea either way, and it's impossible for any of us to know.

If he had a massive issue with them, thinking they were an underlying issue in the progress of the team, he would surely either just not mention them unless asked, and when asked just give a  standard line about them. However, he doesn't do that. He goes well out of his way to heap praise on them. The idea he'd do that whilst also thinking they're a pile of shite and holding him back, seems very weak. With that said, when he doesn't get the money there's probably a good reason for it and he accepts it rather than thinks it's just for a new yacht. 

The suggestion that he and Kenny (as well as other managers who are now employed by other teams) are paid shills offering propaganda - straight up factually untrue things to deceive the fanbase from knowing the truth about them - is just fantasy and it's very underhanded. If Kenny thinks they are shite, yet says they're excellent just because he is employed by them, then he'd go way down in my estimation. Same with Klopp. The more likely explanation, to me at least, is they know more and are making more informed decisions. 

Just now, Nummer Neunzehn said:

If he had a massive issue with them, thinking they were an underlying issue in the progress of the team, he would surely either just not mention them unless asked, and when asked just give a line about them. However, he doesn't do that. He goes well out of his way to heap praise on them. The idea he'd do that whilst also thinking they're a pile of shite and holding him back, seems very weak. With that said, when he doesn't get the money there's probably a good reason for it and he accepts it rather than thinks it's just for a new yacht. 

The suggestion that he and Kenny (as well as other managers who are now employed by other teams) are paid shills offering propaganda - straight up factually untrue things to deceive the fanbase from knowing the truth about them - is just fantasy and it's very underhanded. If Kenny thinks they are shite, yet says they're excellent just because he is employed by them, then he'd go way down in my estimation. Same with Klopp. The more likely explanation, to me at least, is they know more and are making more informed decisions. 

I agree with most of what you say, although I can't say I've seen the bits in the 2nd paragraph about Kenny being a paid shill. I think klopp would sacrifice his own ideal wants to get everyone pulling in the same direction, otherwise he would walked from Dortmund as Bayern repeatedly raped his playing staff. I also think he's a realist in this respect.

6 minutes ago, Horus said:

I agree with most of what you say, although I can't say I've seen the bits in the 2nd paragraph about Kenny being a paid shill. 

He said in 2017, 'the owners were excellent supporting the team financially [...] I found them, in the time that I was there, really supportive if you wanted to go and buy someone. Plus, if the money isn’t there, it’s not right for them to give you it. But if the money was there you could go and get it and they would be more than willing to support you'.

So, if he actually thinks 'even though they sacked me, even though they are not willing to spend money, I decided to come back as a non-executive director so I'm going to lie and say the exact opposite of the truth with the intention of deceiving fans into thinking they are better than they actually are' then he's a paid shill and a propagandist working against the benefit of the club for financial gain. 

Out of interest, how many people think that sounds like an accurate description of Kenny Dalglish? I'll wait. 

16 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

What do you know about arguments on the forum? Your points have been totally wank since i stumbled across you. In fact I think you actually are Ron Burgundy in real life.

Touché. And like I would tell you who I really am.

Stay classy, TLW.

1 minute ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Nicol has said lots of things! Doesn't make them gospel. Also clubs were being told he was coming here from his agent weren't they? Like Inter? We decided against it or tried to get the fee down etc player wanted to move and we had wasted his time.This

This is exactly the point I am trying to make. The article originated in The Athletic but is that gospel truth? Nicol said something on it, is that the gospel truth? Regarding the point of other clubs being told, this is the job of an agent - to get the best deal possible for their client. It's really a game of poker, with bluffs, double bluffs and knowing when you have got the best deal on the table.

Didn't the arse fall out of Klopp's Dortmund team that year he went big on loads of signings. Think he had his fingers burnt there and I can understand why he doesn't want to do it again.

Chelsea's targets do look promising, but, they had £150 mill from the Hazard and Moretta money to cover the costs of these and if the rumours are true, they're gonna be losing Kante, Jorginho, Barkley, Giroud, Alonso, Kepa, Willian still hasn't signed a new deal and the Spanish winger whose name I cant remember has gone too. Abraham won't stick around either.

Although a lot of them are shite, they'll be getting money in to pay for the big name replacements who've never played in this league and are no guarantee of success in a team in transition. 

Klopp and Edwards aren't soft and with Keita finally looking like he belongs here, our hit rate must be near 100% now. Do we really want to be going back to the bad old days of buying 7 players every year and hoping 2 come good. 

3 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Didn't the arse fall out of Klopp's Dortmund team that year he went big on loads of signings. Think he had his fingers burnt there and I can understand why he doesn't want to do it again.

Chelsea's targets do look promising, but, they had £150 mill from the Hazard and Moretta money to cover the costs of these and if the rumours are true, they're gonna be losing Kante, Jorginho, Barkley, Giroud, Alonso, Kepa, Willian still hasn't signed a new deal and the Spanish winger whose name I cant remember has gone too. Abraham won't stick around either.

Although a lot of them are shite, they'll be getting money in to pay for the big name replacements who've never played in this league and are no guarantee of success in a team in transition. 

Klopp and Edwards aren't soft and with Keita finally looking like he belongs here, our hit rate must be near 100% now. Do we really want to be going back to the base old days of buying 7 players every year and hoping 2 come good. 

The arse fell out of dortmund in his last season, when everyone knew it was his last season. If we have to wait 3 years for a player made of crisps to live up to his billing, aren't you making the argument to get some top quality in now?

I believe we've seen what Nabby is; a player of great ability but both inconsistent and injury prone to the point of not being a reliable first team member, but a great backup.

1 minute ago, Horus said:

The arse fell out of dortmund in his last season, when everyone knew it was his last season. If we have to wait 3 years for a player made of crisps to live up to his billing, aren't you making the argument to get some top quality in now?

I believe we've seen what Nabby is; a player of great ability but both inconsistent and injury prone to the point of not being a reliable first team member, but a great backup.

I thought he said he was knocking it on the head when they were down by the bottom in that last season. Didn't know he'd already told them prior 

2 minutes ago, Red74 said:

I thought he said he was knocking it on the head when they were down by the bottom in that last season. Didn't know he'd already told them prior 

I could be wrong, but pretty sure I remember everyone being aware going in it was his last year.

Just now, TheDrowningMan said:

Nah, he had a contract until 2018 and announced his impending departure in April 2015.

Fair enough, cheers for clarifying. I still think continually having to sell and deplete his squad was more of an issue than having to buy a lot of players in one summer. 

10 minutes ago, Horus said:

Fair enough, cheers for clarifying. I still think continually having to sell and deplete his squad was more of an issue than having to buy a lot of players in one summer. 

They're one and the same. He had to partially rebuild squads pretty much every season at Dortmund. Too much continuous selling and buying of important players for sustained success.

1 hour ago, Red74 said:

They spent nearly £100m of it on Pulisic and kovacic knowing Hazard was off in the Summer.