You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

2 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Is it not possible that would have breached FFP?

I don't think anyone has said that. I thought at the time it was because we had no money, but since then the tone of these articles explaining our transfer strategy this year conveys we're just being prudent. Which again, I don't know how valid that really is considering other teams are blowing money already, and we have plenty of players to sell to build up funds, but whatever. 

1 minute ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

I don't think there was anybody on here who wanted Werner more than I wanted him. I posted on him for years about him. But it's not just about one player, one signing. They need to fit in with the group, make financial sense, show the right attitude, and the timing needs to be right. The timing was right for VVD because he waited. Werner wouldn't wait and went to Chelsea. Mo did that first time by the look of it. Who knows how it will work out. I think the owners should have sanctioned the transfer if the manager saw the money was worth it. I suspect it was a joint decision or at least the reasoning made sense. Like 'we can't pay it all up front plays commit to massive agents fees, etc'. I dunno, doesn't seem like Klopp is fuming. 

He won't fume publicly, its not in his makeup. 

2 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Klopp has been candid and has ranted about loads of things with the press. He's just not unhappy with the way the club is run, you're just gonna have to get over that fact. 

Just now, BeefStroganoff said:

But he's definitely raging and agrees with you privately, yeah? He goes out of his way to praise the owners, when he doesn't need to mention them at all, all for what? You never answered that last time, just some suggestions that it's all internal. You don't have to like them or whatever, but you don't have dominion of what Klopp thinks. He could just think they're good and his dramatically more knowledgeable view from the inside might be more informed than ours. You know? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Klopp has been candid and has ranted about loads of things with the press. He's just not unhappy with the way the club is run, you're just gonna have to get over that fact. 

But he's definitely raging and agrees with you privately, yeah? He goes out of his way to praise the owners, when he doesn't need to mention them at all, all for what? You never answered that last time, just some suggestions that it's all internal. You don't have to like them or whatever, but you don't have dominion of what Klopp thinks. He could just think they're good and his dramatically more knowledgeable view from the inside might be more informed than ours. You know? 

Out of rep.

4 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

FFS he is their employee! Doesn't matter if he's a genius, he is still an employee of Henry and co. He is not going to go against them publicly. My bosses are useless but i wouldn't slate them within the company or in a public forum.

FFS he is their employee! Doesn't matter if he's a genius, he is still an employee of Henry and co. He is not going to go against them publicly. My bosses are useless but i wouldn't slate them within the company or in a public forum.

That isn't what I said. I asked why he goes out of his way to praise them, say they're integral to winning, etc rather than stay quiet. Nothing about why he doesn't criticise them, that point at least has some sort of credible logic behind it. I'm asking why he goes out of his way, on multiple occasions, even when it's not relevant or needed, to praise the owners? If he's so fucking irate and he's in your corner, why doesn't he just stay quiet?

Also, you saying you wouldn't slate your bosses on a public forum whilst slating them on a public forum for being useless is probably about as far as I want to go down this rabbit hole. What I will say is... your view has been heard. Many, many times. 

3 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

This is my reading too. I reckon Jurgen enjoys a challenge and in a perverse way he's happier putting himself under a bit of pressure to perform. He'd get bored at City. 

4 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I think you might have just slipped up.

Yes we've just won the league so things are good, but we still have weaknesses that need addressing. 

Need a CB, back up LB, a higher quality forward option, replacements for those leaving in midfield and possibly another goalkeeper.

Are kids the answer to all of these deficiencies?  

Combine that with yet another window without spending, rivals strengthening, thinning out the squad and serious concerns if key players like VVD or Mane get injured and I think there is a legitimate point to be made. 

Those saying Klopp is happy, well he's not going to slag his bosses off is he, it's not his style. Maybe he is being pragmatic and making do, but that doesn't make it right. For the record I don't know if he is content or not with this aspect, I doubt any of you lot do either. 

Van Dijk aside, when was the last time we beat off (fnaar fnaar) our rivals to land a big name? 

TL:DR where's the Arteta money, Bill? 

• Upvote 7

That isn't what I said. I asked why he goes out of his way to praise them, say they're integral to winning, etc rather than stay quiet. Nothing about why he doesn't criticise them, that point at least has some sort of credible logic behind it. I'm asking why he goes out of his way, on multiple occasions, even when it's not relevant or needed, to praise the owners? If he's so fucking irate and he's in your corner, why doesn't he just stay quiet?

Also, you saying you wouldn't slate your bosses on a public forum whilst slating them on a public forum for being useless is probably about as far as I want to go down this rabbit hole. What I will say is... your view has been heard. Many, many times. 

Again he will big them up, he is their employee. If he is successful he will name check them. Thats standard in any line of work. 

You will probably find out what he really thinks after he has left the Club for a few years.

1 minute ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Pretty obvious he wanted to come, also obvious he went to Chelsea after Klopp rang him and told him we wouldn't be going for him.

OK, cool. I hope you haven't got taps on my phone too.

Again he will big them up, he is their employee. If he is successful he will name check them. Thats standard in any line of work. 

Nah, this is self-delusion. If you think he is going out of his way to praise them although he doesn't like them, you're really just making it up. It makes him a liar. He could just be quiet. And you calling it 'name checking' rather than repeated profuse praise is evident of your bias. 

As for finding out when he leaves. Do you have Kenny Dalglish, who is not employed by FSG, as a liar? Let me guess, he's just too classy to speak out about the detrimental ownership of the club. 

Okay, sure. Everyone in the know agrees with you they're only saying the opposite because of *reasons*. 

Nah, this is self-delusion. If you think he is going out of his way to praise them although he doesn't like them, you're really just making it up. It makes him a liar. He could just be quiet. And you calling it 'name checking' rather than repeated profuse praise is evident of your bias. 

As for finding out when he leaves. Do you have Kenny Dalglish, who is not employed by FSG, as a liar? Let me guess, he's just too classy to speak out about the detrimental ownership of the club. 

Okay, sure. Everyone in the know agrees with you they're only saying the opposite because of *reasons*. 

Everyone lies, even Jurgen Klopp. Welcome to real life.

2 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Again Kenny is an employee.

Again Kenny is an employee.

He has praised them when he wasn't an employee. So... liar? As I said, sure; everyone is just pretending and they all agree with you. Good stuff. Again you avoided acknowledging that Klopp has gone out of his way. Why? Let me guess... he's an employee so has to bring them up for praise when not asked about it all to hide his hate. 

You're a crank. 

6 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

He has praised them when he wasn't an employee. So... liar? As I said, sure; everyone is just pretending and they all agree with you. Good stuff. Again you avoided acknowledging that Klopp has gone out of his way. Why? Let me guess... he's an employee so has to bring them up for praise when not asked about it all to hide his hate. 

You're a crank. 

You're an idiot so what?

2 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

It was reported at the time, that cool enough?

This is an article at the time of those reports, claims that were made by The Athletic. What's significant is that there is no real substance to the claims but most importantly, Steve Nicol makes a claim at the end of the article that...

"Saying that, I wouldn't be surprised if Werner had something to do with this. At the end of the day, if you want to go somewhere you can make it happen. It looks to me like Werner has changed his mind."

How can an article that is supposedly reporting the facts behind Klopp telling Werner "we're not moving for you for financial reasons" and then completely swing to Steve Nicol saying " it looks to me like Werner has changed his mind"? It just doesn't make sense.

From The Express...

Timo Werner reportedly accepted Liverpool's decision not to sign him gracefully, after Jurgen Klopp told him the club's final verdict on a transfer during a phone call. The RB Leipzig striker had looked destined to join Liverpool before the coronavirus pandemic struck.

The club had identified him as their priority ahead of the transfer window, with Klopp keen to meet Werner for face-to-face talks.

All transfer business was then placed on the back burner for the time being, as the club focused on containing the virus and completing the season.

Klopp did get the chance to speak to Werner in the meantime during a video call over Easter in which he outlined his plans to sign him.

It soon became apparent that Liverpool would not trigger his £52million release clause by June 15 though, leaving the door open for Chelsea to pounce.

Amid the uncertainty, Werner set Liverpool a deadline so he could explore other options.

According to The Athletic, Klopp called Werner after speaking to FSG to explain Liverpool will not be signing him.

He told the forward that the decision was based on purely financial terms and nothing to do with football.

Werner accepted Klopp's explanation and the pair reportedly still have a respectable relationship.

Now Werner looks set to sign a five-year deal with Chelsea and could come back to haunt Liverpool in the Premier League.

Former Liverpool full-back Steve Nicol thinks the Reds have made a mess of the situation.

"I think it is [a mistake], yes," Nicol told ESPN FC.

"Regardless of how good you are, you have to make sure you stay where you are at the very least. That means you need competition for places.

"No question, Werner would have given the front three - as great as they are and have been - it would have kept them on their toes.

"The front three of Liverpool can now breathe a little easier.

"I think Liverpool have slipped up here.

"Saying that, I wouldn't be surprised if Werner had something to do with this. At the end of the day, if you want to go somewhere you can make it happen. It looks to me like Werner has changed his mind."