You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

Are we being too simplistic - Is it really just a case of having no cash to spend?

Our first 11 can compete with any team in the entire world, so we aren't going to splash the cash on a player to replace one of them. That leaves 'squad' players and 'tactical options'.

We clearly aren't going to spend a fortune on squad players, and world class players like Sancho and Havertz aren't going to agree to sit on the bench unless we pay them a fortune to do so. But we can't afford to do that and we all accept that. And if Havertz joined, where would that leave Curtis Jones? We have a duty to give our most talented youngsters a chance right?

It seems to me that folks are getting anxious because they see rival teams splashing the cash, but thats because they need to. I'm not convinced we need to do the same.

4 minutes ago, M_B said:

Are we being too simplistic - Is it really just a case of having no cash to spend?

Our first 11 can compete with any team in the entire world, so we aren't going to splash the cash on a player to replace one of them. That leaves 'squad' players and 'tactical options'.

We clearly aren't going to spend a fortune on squad players, and world class players like Sancho and Havertz aren't going to agree to sit on the bench unless we pay them a fortune to do so. But we can't afford to do that and we all accept that. And if Havertz joined, where would that leave Curtis Jones? We have a duty to give our most talented youngsters a chance right?

It seems to me that folks are getting anxious because they see rival teams splashing the cash, but thats because they need to. I'm not convinced we need to do the same.

I agree with you. I honestly think it's the green eyed monster, city and chelsea are splashing the cash so why arent we?

First thing is city will splash the cash virtually every season. chelsea had a year ban and they're still talking about offloading players to cover the costs but most people seem to be ignoring that.

I remember the time we were chucking cash around signing players like Aquilani, Benteke, Balotelli, Diouf, Cissé. How many titles did we win then? Now we've won a title and we're not chucking money around.

Be careful what you ask for as you may just get it.

30 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

We're not fucking 'broke'! Why do people post this shit?

I honestly dont know what some people want. They want lads like Jones, Williams, Hoever etc brought through the Academy, then kick off that we arent buying even 30m players who'll block these lads progress into the first team.

They dont want the abramovic or mansour finance model but say we're 'broke' because the club is virtually self sufficient, well run and doesnt run up huge debt.

They kick off because Villa spent all their anticipated PL income on transfers, managed to stay in the league with virtually the last kick of the last game of the season while we spent 5m and romped to the title for the first time in 30 years.

Fucking strange world if you ask me.

And those youngsters are ready yeah? What world do you live in where you just promote young lads into a team that is expected to challenge for top honours?

You can only do that slowly and carefully without destroying their confidence, Woodburn is a prime case.

People are rightly asking where our fucking money goes. No one is asking for state fund owners, no one. There is a middle ground to be had.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

I remember the time we were chucking cash around signing players like Aquilani, Benteke, Balotelli, Diouf, Cissé. How many titles did we win then? Now we've won a title and we're not chucking money around.

Be careful what you ask for as you may just get it.

You're a plank. For every Benteke theres a Torres. And every Aquilani theres a Coutinho.

Posting some bad buys is your way of proving splashing the cash doesn't work? Give me strength.

• Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, M_B said:

We need good cover for left back and another option up front, whether that's cover for one of Mane or Salah or a different option if Origi goes or both, that's up to the manager.

Are any of our youngsters ready to fill one of these two or three places if the need arises on September 12th, or 5th October (when the window closes) against top quality PL or CL teams?

2 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

You're a plank. For every Benteke theres a Torres. And every Aquilani theres a Coutinho.

Posting some bad buys is your way of proving splashing the cash doesn't work? Give me strength.

I was ecstatic when we won the League with Torres as our striker.

24 minutes ago, M_B said:

Nope, its because of a few things:

a/ The main players of the team are entering their peak years, so preparing for that is a must

b/ Some of our back up players are not to a sufficient standard. They are ok in cameos and small doses but for any long term absence the performances would drop massively

c/ theres nothing wrong with giving the first 11 a run for their money FFS. Like anything, people can up their game when challenged and it can give fresh impetus to the team.

d/ youngsters can be used like Trent and now Curtis, but FFS don't put them under pressure. Even Trent came through his wobbles but he still had them.

I'm content with what Klopp wants to do. He's not a chequebook manager and we certainly don't have chequebook owners. It's only if the owners stop the manager from managing the way he wants that I have an issue. If the focus becomes purely on net spend, rather than winning, then it's just not interesting to me. 

1 minute ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Yep a plank alright.

Not winning the league doesn't diminish how good a signing Torres was. By your admission was Gerrard shit? Mascherano? Alonso? Hyppia?

Where did I say any of the signings made were shit?

We shouldn't spend for the sake of spending. We should spend if the manager wants to spend. There's much more involved than just a transfer fee. Spending lots poorly is worse than spending nothing at all. Spending on the wrong type of person is also a danger. Klopp knows what he is doing. He knew it when not spending any money and he knew it when he spent big on Salah, Mane, Alisson, VVD, and others. Moaning about everything, every day, on a forum isn't going to do anything. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

We shouldn't spend for the sake of spending. We should spend if the manager wants to spend. There's much more involved than just a transfer fee. Spending lots poorly is worse than spending nothing at all. Spending on the wrong type of person is also a danger. Klopp knows what he is doing. He knew it when not spending any money and he knew it when he spent big on Salah, Mane, Alisson, VVD, and others. Moaning about everything, every day, on a forum isn't going to do anything. 

Common sense is a rare commodity.

4 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Werner says hello.   

1 minute ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Sane money. If they spend another 100m they are taking the real piss.

Is a top premier league club spending 60m really taking the piss?   They shouldn't have to sell to buy with the amount of TV money and prize money. 

• Downvote 1

Just now, Grinch said:

Werner says hello.   

Naby Keita is waving back. Let's see how long it takes him to adapt before longing after the one that got away, shall we?

Just now, Fluter in Dakota said:

Naby Keita is waving back. Let's see how long it takes him to adapt before longing after the one that got away, shall we?

Yet again coming out with bollocks to avoid the fact the manager didnt get the money for the player he wanted. 

Can we just do away with the notion that those of us complaining want shiny, jealousy-fuelled baubles, instead of a dynasty.

I've waited the full 30 years for this, and at times, I didn't ever see a path to winning the league again in my lifetime, but we're here, and we're not kicking on. All this talk of players not willing to sit on the bench, as though sancho (as an example) wouldn't get his games over the 5 years of his contract. Why this revisionism that suggests united, Barca, Madrid, etc, only ever had 11 good players, when it's just bullshit. 

Building the team the way Klopp is forced to will always have a shorter shelf life, than by adding great players whilst we're top dogs. We all remember losing targets every year as we were struggling for top 4. The age of this team/squad needs great young players added otherwise when Klopp walks out the door in only 4 years time, we'll be straight back to competing for top 4. We saw the difference in ferguson's last season vs moyes' 3/4's of a season. 

• Upvote 7

Just now, Grinch said:

Is a top premier league club spending 60m really taking the piss?   They shouldn't have to sell to buy with the amount of TV money and prize money. 

They need to get certain players in to improve their squad so it's perfectly reasonable for them to spend whatever they are on Nathan Aké. Whether he improves them or not is another matter altogether.

2 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Yet again coming out with bollocks to avoid the fact the manager didnt get the money for the player he wanted. 

How do you know that's a fact?

6 minutes ago, Grinch said:

We shouldn’t, over cautious or using things as an excuse? Bit of both. We should be spending what we bring in and a bit on top at least. I wait in hope rather than expectation.