You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

8 minutes ago, diamondjoe said:

Chelsea can buy who they want. Doesn't matter a shite. That are managed by Frank fucking Lampard and that little turd Jody fucking Morris. Going nowhere. Cunts.

If they got someone decent to manage them I'd be worried. 

Would have loved to have had Havertz and Werner but because we haven't qualified for the Champions league like them or won anything recently we can't attract these sort of players. 

• Upvote 5

Mo's had his hair cut, so he'll be like a new signing when he turns up at melwood. Also, lampard being shit is irrelevant as roman won't stick with him for long if he's got a team full of new toys and doesn't deliver. They're signing players for the next 5-8 years, not one transfer window in 8.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Arsenal fans moan about their owners being mingebag cunts yet they spent £72m on a player without Champions league football. Ok he was shite but no fucking way would our owners spend that kind of money outside CL and without selling someone. 

Arsenal have been fucking shite and need to spend so they don't finish in the bottom half of the league and fall off the face of the planet. 

19 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Arsenal have been fucking shite and need to spend so they don't finish in the bottom half of the league and fall off the face of the planet. 

Still spent the money even without CL for a couple of seasons. Ours would use that as an excuse and just want Klopp to work on free transfers or academy players to wring every penny out of their £50m outlay on Kirkby. 

• Upvote 2

Klopp has his work cut out to keep this team at the top without signings but we have to trust him. I don't want to be a pessimist but it's plausible that we may not win anything in the near future relying on what we have in the current squad.

We have been hugely lucky with no long term injuries to key players but that can only last for so long before creeping up on us. Interesting to see how we go forward from here. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Arsenal fans moan about their owners being mingebag cunts yet they spent £72m on a player without Champions league football. Ok he was shite but no fucking way would our owners spend that kind of money outside CL and without selling someone. 

The owner didnt use any of his own money though. He put the transfer debt on the club. They were going to pay 90m for that Lemar(?) we were interested in. It's fortunate the deal fell through else if they'd bought players they'd have  the thick end of 160m lumped on the club and no CL football.

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Chelsea with a transfer ban somehow managed to spend nearly £36m more than us last year. 

20200729_212037.jpg

The runaway league winners spending only a fraction more than the first team to go down. 

I agree that there should be a couple of additions to freshen the squad up without causing too much disruption to what is clearly a tight-knit unit. 

In isolation though, that table is fucking outrageous. 

2 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Chelsea with a transfer ban somehow managed to spend nearly £36m more than us last year. 

20200729_212037.jpg

Chelsea had already agreed that deal when the transfer ban became effective.

Villa spunked their whole anticipated PL money in advance to stay up. They achieved the feat on the last game of the season.

You'd think any club spending less than 5m then pissing the league would be something to admire especially when everyone on here gets out of their tree over city's spending and 'buying' success. But no, it seems our owners are cunts because the club isnt throwing silly transfer fees around the gaff every summer window.

Thank fuck we didnt just buy anyone when the van Dijk transfer first fell through. Fuck knows who we'd have ended up with, maguire was a big shout from one or two if I remember right.

What winds people up is the club going on about how clever they are getting commercial deals, selling unwanted players for good prices, generating far more income than most clubs then crying poverty. No other club earns the amount of money we do yet constantly puts out stories to downplay any spending. The only other club I can think of who have done that is Spurs but they have spent nearly a billion pounds on a new stadium. 

We always get fed stories that our sponsorship deals are increasing, the main stand generates £25m more a year, the Nike deal will earn the club more money, we can compete with anyone etc. Peter Moore saying we need to break the £500m mark in revenue to be competitive yet they then just make excuses when it comes to actually spending money. 

For the last couple of years the only transfer funds available to the best manager we've had for years are just generated from sales, sometimes he hasn't even had that. 

Then we get told that it's because of a new training facility. Most clubs have to pay for these things as well as paying staff. The new training ground is offset by selling land at Melwood and extending the academy that was already there, it's not like they are building a space station. 

Leicester have just built a new training ground which cost more than ours (£95m) yet I've never heard them saying they can't buy any players because of it. 

• Upvote 7

In the five years since 2015/16, Liverpool have used £515.59m to spend on players but crucially, £408.02m of that has been generated through player sales. For every £100m spent, £79.1m has been recouped as shown below, with most of those departing being fringe players who failed to make an impact under Jurgen Klopp

8 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

What winds people up is the club going on about how clever they are getting commercial deals, selling unwanted players for good prices, generating far more income than most clubs then crying poverty. No other club earns the amount of money we do yet constantly puts out stories to downplay any spending. The only other club I can think of who have done that is Spurs but they have spent nearly a billion pounds on a new stadium. 

We always get fed stories that our sponsorship deals are increasing, the main stand generates £25m more a year, the Nike deal will earn the club more money, we can compete with anyone etc. Peter Moore saying we need to break the £500m mark in revenue to be competitive yet they then just make excuses when it comes to actually spending money. 

For the last couple of years the only transfer funds available to the best manager we've had for years are just generated from sales, sometimes he hasn't even had that. 

Then we get told that it's because of a new training facility. Most clubs have to pay for these things as well as paying staff. The new training ground is offset by selling land at Melwood and extending the academy that was already there, it's not like they are building a space station. 

Leicester have just built a new training ground which cost more than ours (£95m) yet I've never heard them saying they can't buy any players because of it. 

I would presume commercial deals have "success related bonuses" in them also step forward the current champions League, Premier league , world club winners. Now I know some sponsor doesn't walk in the day after the win with a big fat check however the money will be paid under whater terms in the future .

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-midfielder-can-save-jurgen-18681085?fbclid=IwAR3MB4QRRlE0q1DrXyR40Oh-QB7GZmY6Bo5GJ35ciGpsFTh2iqmb55kVsn8

Liverpool midfielder can save Jurgen Klopp millions as Jordan Henderson comparison made

Jake Cain has enjoyed a dream year at Liverpool and Sam Carroll has the inside track on his progress under Jurgen Kloppemetimes they’ll include recomdations for other related newsletters or services we offer. OurPrivacy Noticeexplains more about hoe use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

“So now, the first glimpses of Neco Williams," Jurgen Klopp said earlier in the summer.

"Curtis, Harvey, Ki-Jana, Sepp, Yasser, Leighton, Jake Cain: all these boys have done really well."

Eight names. Six of them, surely, you will have heard of. Maybe even seven after Leighton Clarkson scored a stunning goal behind-closed-doors against Blackburn Rovers at Anfield before the resumption of the Premier League.

Neco Williams, Curtis Jones and Harvey Elliott have been breakout stars of a title-winning season while Ki-Jana Hoever and Sepp van den Berg both received media attention after joining from Ajax and PEC Zwolle respectively.

With Yasser Larouci set to exit, that leaves just one more from those specifically name-dropped by Klopp. Jake Cain was last, but certainly not least.

Versatile and intelligent, the left-footer can play in a number of midfield roles and has consistently delivered goals and assists throughout his time at Liverpool.

In short, he is a Klopp midfielder. Bright on the ball, forward thinking and positive, he has enjoyed a dream year at Liverpool after joining the academy as a nine year-old.

Senior debut? Training regularly with the first-team? Another fresh deal signed this summer?

Check. Check. Check.

Cain bounced back from the disappointment of being left out of the youthful Carabao Cup side that lost to Aston Villa in the quarter-final in December to play a key role in the FA Cup fourth round replay win over Shrewsbury Town two months later.

The 18-year-old was instrumental in midfield alongside Clarkson and Jones - who he came through the age-groups with at Kirkby - and has continued to be involved with first-team training ever since.

He is part of a core academy group that also includes Paul Glatzel, Clarkson and Van den Berg who are pushing to catch the eye of Klopp and Pep Lijnders every single day.

Those close to Cain admit that he has surpassed even their high expectations over the last 12 months but insist his quality was never in doubt.

Regular observers have told the ECHO his running power and is something to behold and early comparisons to Jordan Henderson have been made.

But Cain will take no notice of that. Not yet, anyway.

For now, he is targeting a dominant year at under-23 level in the same way that his team-mate Jones - who also agreed a new contract this summer - did last term before forcing his way into the senior fold.

Cain has already worked extensively with the first-team in training but the upcoming move to a new £50m facility in Kirkby will give him further opportunities to catch the eye.

There is a feeling amongst some that Cain has gone under the radar while others have garnered headlines. But this is somewhat fitting to the personality of the player.

"This is just a start for me," he said after making his first-team debut.

You’ve got to keep on working hard and wait for the next opportunity that you get. It’s important to keep working hard every day in training and keep pushing. I’ve not cracked it, none of us have and we know that.

"I just want to keep on playing more games with the u-23s and keep improving. I want to get more goals and assists but personally I just want to see the team playing well and winning, and be a part of that."

Humble and hard-working off-the-pitch. Exciting, dynamic and downright selfless on it.

Cain has already been name-dropped once by Klopp. It is sure to be the first of many.

I saw yesterday that we are now the 4th most valuable club in world football but we are broke? I'm sick of hearing about how good our finances are with record breaking sponsership deals when we never seem to spend anything unless its offset with a major sale and always seem broke. Something doesn't add up here.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a FSG out person but I think questions do need to be asked. 

Last summer we spent nothing with the excuses rolling in about how we could not improve the team and wouldnt spent for the sake of it, this year its the COVID excuse.

You can never stand still in football and it sounds like we are going to while our rivals strengthen. With potential sales this summer like @Doctor Troy has just posted that could bring in about £50m which should be immediately reinvested back into the squad. 

It's frustrating to see the club do so well but at the same time act as paupers when we should be flexing our muscles showing people and our rivals that we are here to stay and dominate.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

I saw yesterday that we are now the 4th most valuable club in world football but we are broke? I'm sick of hearing about how good our finances are with record breaking sponsership deals when we never seem to spend anything unless its offset with a major sale and always seem broke. Something doesn't add up here.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a FSG out person but I think questions do need to be asked. 

Last summer we spent nothing with the excuses rolling in about how we could not improve the team and wouldnt spent for the sake of it, this year its the COVID excuse.

You can never stand still in football and it sounds like we are going to while our rivals strengthen. With potential sales this summer like @Doctor Troy has just posted that could bring in about £50m which should be immediately reinvested back into the squad. 

It's frustrating to see the club do so well but at the same time act as paupers when we should be flexing our muscles showing people and our rivals that we are here to stay and dominate.

We're not fucking 'broke'! Why do people post this shit?

I honestly dont know what some people want. They want lads like Jones, Williams, Hoever etc brought through the Academy, then kick off that we arent buying even 30m players who'll block these lads progress into the first team.

They dont want the abramovic or mansour finance model but say we're 'broke' because the club is virtually self sufficient, well run and doesnt run up huge debt.

They kick off because Villa spent all their anticipated PL income on transfers, managed to stay in the league with virtually the last kick of the last game of the season while we spent 5m and romped to the title for the first time in 30 years.

Fucking strange world if you ask me.

• Upvote 7