You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

1 hour ago, Horus said:

All the game changers will be bought before we even look to get involved. 

Anyone in mind?

If you take Sancho as an example, yes, but £120m.

Let's not forget what a massive amount of money that is.  And paying that isn't a guarantee of anything, as Barca found out with Coutinho.

Now that Lovren gone can see us looking at another CB. Forget Fab covering back four , the way we play with our fullbacks our CBs and GK will always be under pressure . We have been lucky VVD has been 1. so good and 2. bomb proof. Gomez,Matip,Lovren look like they have been exposed at times it is not them per se it is the way we play as such we need a competent experienced replacement not sure a 20 year old however good potential wise fits that bill. Vertongen fits that bill but wages and unrealistic playing minutes excludes him. Diop from West Ham would be the one I would look at . Ropey enough at times  but I think lad is a rough diamond. 

Liverpool are reported to have opened talks with Schalke over a deal for defender Ozan Kabak.

As per Bild, Jurgen Klopp has identified the £32m-rated centre-half as his No 1 target to replace Dejan Lovren.

Lovren is closing on a £10.9m switch to Zenit St Petersburg after six highly-successful years at Anfield.

And Klopp has wasted little time in moving to secure his replacement in the Reds squad, with talks for Kabak well underway.

The Turkey international has previously been linked with both Manchester United and Manchester City. Kabak was available for just £12m last summer after a clause in his contract allowed him to leave then-relegated Stuttgart.

However, he was persuaded to join Schalke by incoming new boss David Wagner.

Now after impressing during his year for the Royal Blues, Kabak looks to be on the move again.

Bild claims Klopp and his scouts has watched him extensively and believe he’s the player they have identified.

Schalke have placed a €35m fee on his head (£31.9m) for the 20-year-old, who has four years left on his deal.

But with Schalke willing to sell, Klopp has been in touch with close friend Wagner to persuade Kabak to move to Anfield.

Comments made by Kabak on his admiration of Virgil van Dijk suggest a move to play alongside the Dutchman could be of some interest.

“My personal aim is to become a top defender in maybe two or three years, like Virgil van Dijk. He’s my idol, I really like him,” Kabak said earlier this season (via Metro).

“I like his style and how he plays, so I can say he’s my football idol.”

Liverpool have also been linked with Leeds loanee Ben White. That’s despite Reds scouts identifying one major flaw in the defender’s game.

14 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I still haven't received a sufficient answer to where all our money goes from prize winnings, partnerships, merchandise and match day revenue.

I don't know where it goes, but I know it doesn't go to the Boston Red Sox.

I actually agree with some of the other things you've said in this thread, but you need to lay off with the conspiracy theories about us funding a Red Sox rebuild as it undermines anything else you're saying.

31 minutes ago, dave u said:

I actually agree with some of the other things you've said in this thread, but you need to lay off with the conspiracy theories about us funding a Red Sox rebuild as it undermines anything else you're saying.

As I've said Dave its just a theory and its based on how the company I work for in the U.S is dealing with things, as Covid has hit the US worse than Europe economically. 

1 hour ago, BeefStroganoff said:

As I've said Dave its just a theory and its based on how the company I work for in the U.S is dealing with things, as Covid has hit the US worse than Europe economically. 

The Red Sox traded Mookie Betts away to the Dodgers. 

https://nypost.com/2020/07/25/red-sox-chairman-tom-werner-lets-revisit-mookie-betts-deal-in-12-years/

That would be similar to us selling Salah. I think they Red Sox fans are way more angry about FFSG than we are. They Red Sox fans, I know, believe we are getting money from them and not the other way around.

The red sox fans can fuck off with their game. Am amazed they call it a sport. Half of the so called athletes rocking up in tights, chewing gum and being paid millions to hit 1 run out of what 30 tries almost. 

Cricket is being called a lazy game, Baseball to cricket is like our gap to man City in the points table... Far more money in that sport but long way off being a proper sport.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

The Red Sox traded Mookie Betts away to the Dodgers. 

https://nypost.com/2020/07/25/red-sox-chairman-tom-werner-lets-revisit-mookie-betts-deal-in-12-years/

That would be similar to us selling Salah. I think they Red Sox fans are way more angry about FFSG than we are. They Red Sox fans, I know, believe we are getting money from them and not the other way around.

So if they think that and we think that then were is the cash?

2 hours ago, dave u said:

My understanding of football clubs is they normally operate on an annual and future earnings principle and player fees, agent fees and contracts are generally paid on a 'rental' principle. If projected/predicted incomes change it is easy to see why any signings/contracts/fees agreed one/two/three years ago would start to take up more of the clubs earnings as they may be smaller than projected. 

Any deals made now could be based on projected future earnings, as that could be unpredictable most clubs will see this as a volatile time to commit to signings. 

Clubs with financial backers like City, Chelsea and possibly United may be different. 

I really dont get how some think large sums of money can be syphoned out of the club and sent offshore to another sporting entity with absolutely no one noticing. Yeah, I know people can repeat it ad nauseam but that doesnt make it likely.

The club submits audited accounts every year. They have to be signed off by the accountants and filed at companies house available for any of the public to see. That swiss rambler would surely leap on anything in the accounts that showed either large amounts of money being syphoned out of the club by devious means or, large expenses such as director dividends or loans.

He's found nothing. Neither has anyone else who repeatedly make these claims. Show us the proof. It's like the JFK assasination, hoax Moon landings, flat earthers and anti vaxxers etc. Just rumour and no evidence.

25 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Probably don’t pay £3m a week in wages whilst funding stadium expansions and new training grounds.

Were they not loans, certainly in the case of the Main Stand?  Is that where our money is going, on loan repayments? I thought we were paying with minimal interest and over a very long period so wouldn't impact too much?