You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

Philippe Coutinho 'wants Liverpool return' as Barcelona make star available for £9m loan

Express: Liverpool have the chance to re-sign Philippe Coutinho this summer from Barcelona but Jurgen Klopp is unlikely to sign off the deal.

Philippe Coutinho is said to want to return to Liverpool this summer and he could be available on loan for just £9million. The Brazilian is set to leave Barcelona this summer with his agent Kia Joorabchian working on a return to the Premier League.

The 28-year-old fulfilled his childhood dream in January 2018 when he completed a £142million switch to the Spanish giants.

But things have not gone to plan for Coutinho, who failed to make the grade under former boss Ernesto Valverde.

Barcelona's monumental Champions League collapse at the hands of Liverpool increased tensions in the board room and it wasn't long before several plays and Valverde paid the price.

Coutinho was shipped off on loan to Bayern Munich and the Bavarians have decided not to activate their £109million option to buy.

Now according to journalist Kevin Palmer, Coutinho wants to return to Liverpool.

The Reds have the chance to bring him back to Anfield for just £9million on a season-long loan.

The deal would chisel another year off his Barcelona contract and take his wages temporarily off the books at the Camp Nou.

Given the manner of his departure from the club, it would come as a huge surprise if Jurgen Klopp was to sanction the deal.

From the Kevin Palmer link... 

10. If there was one player that could come to Liverpool this summer, who do you think it could be?

1146327155.jpg.0-1024x683.jpg

“The one player that we heard a few weeks ago was that Philippe Coutinho is available for a loan deal of 9M for one year, a lot of Liverpool fans were not too happy with the way he left, but at 9M for one year would you not take Philippe Coutinho? I think he is a brilliant player and if Liverpool could get him back to his best, he clearly loves the club he just got seduced by the Barcelona option, he would be the greatest signing. If it’s true and we are told is true that he really wants to come back to Liverpool and he has even made efforts to try and get the deal done in a way, and do the one year at Liverpool, why would you not bring a player proven quality like that? I think he is the one player Liverpool could get and would potentially fit into their budget. So I think is a good player that Liverpool could go for and someone they could actually get.”

STOP THE PRESS! 

The race to sign Victor Osimhen is “all over” after Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp personally asked the club to move for the Lille striker, according to one journalist.

Osimhen is likely to move away from Lille this summer after scoring 18 goals in 38 games in his debut season.

Concrete reports initially suggested he was to join Napoli. The Nigerian had eased his concerns about racism in Italy after speaking to Kalidou Koulibaly and was close to signing for €81million.

However, Osimhen’s change of agent complicated proceedings, forcing Napoli to start negotiations from scratch.

What’s more, the new agent has reportedly contacted Liverpool and Manchester United, two other clubs linked with his signature.

Now, RAI Sport journalist Ciro Venerato has revealed that Klopp has “officially” asked to sign Osimhen. Indeed, the reporter also states the striker still had doubts about moving to Italy.

“The change of agent has proven decisive. But we mustn’t forget the past. The boy had long had doubts about his destination. He dreamt of the Premier League.

“Naples was his alternative choice in the absence of concrete offers. Now that Klopp has officially asked for him, it’s all over.

“The appeal of the European champions, the Reds is too strong, money aside. There’s not only economic reasons for Oshimen. The Premier League is the dream of all Nigerian boys.”

Obviously no one was enamoured by his behaviour at the end of his time here ,  but overall he was a fantastic player for us and paid for VvD and Alisson basically on his own , so anybody who would rather see the Ox or Keita start before him are in my view misguided.

Coutinho can fuck off, as a fanbase we didn’t hanker after players who'd fucked off even when we were also rans, so we certainly shouldn't be fucking doing it now we're champions. Let him serve as an example, if he's not living in a Las Vegas motel 10 years from now with a drinking problem, crying at old liverpool team photographs and lamenting the career he could have had, I'll be extremely disappointed.

• Upvote 1

Too tight. The little gimp feigned injury to try and force through a move, dropped a transfer request on the last day of a window and steadfastly refused to stay for the second half of 2017/18. He may have cost us a European Cup. 

I’ve enjoyed his fall from grace immensely. It’s just a complete non starter because Klopp, like many of us, would rather work with and develop new players and not ones who didn’t give a shite about his teammates whilst he was here. 

• Upvote 1

For the people that keep going on about Coutinho, aside from the way he left, where would he even play for us now?

Part of his problem is that ideally he needs to play as a '10' and most clubs don't really play with that sort of player now. He's not fast enough to come in for Mane or Salah and in a midfield thee he's not an upgrade on any of the players we have.

As good as he was for us at his best, he was also incredibly frustrating at times. 

16 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Part of his problem is that ideally he needs to play as a '10' and most clubs don't really play with that sort of player now. He's not fast enough to come in for Mane or Salah and in a midfield thee he's not an upgrade on any of the players we have.

You dont think he is better than Keita or the Ox ?

23 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

For the people that keep going on about Coutinho, aside from the way he left, where would he even play for us now?

As good as he was for us at his best, he was also incredibly frustrating at times. 

He'd be shite as a number ten at this stage of his career. He's turned into a proper one trick pony these days, can only really play left wing and cut inside. He'd be better backup for Mané than what we currently have but £9m for a year of that, no thanks.

If Coutinho hadn't played for us before, I doubt anyone would want him here based on his recent performances at Barcelona and Bayern. 

As much as I loved his wonder goals, there were too many times where he'd shoot from range and miss when he could have kept the ball and tried to create a more realistic chance of scoring. Some people seem to think he would help us break down teams that effectively play two lines of defence, but the reality is we've been much better at that without him.

Let him go to Arsenal, Spurs or Newcastle next season. Thats about his level now.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

He played well for us there - Barca bought him to play in the midfield.

Yeah I remember he did play quite well there initially under Rogers, but I don't ever remember him playing there under Klopp?

Is it not quite telling that Barcelona didn't end up playing him there much though? 

Just now, MegadriveMan said:

Yeah I remember he did play quite well there initially under Rogers, but I don't ever remember him playing there under Klopp?

Is it not quite telling that Barcelona didn't end up playing him there much though? 

I don't think so. They are a shambles from top to bottom - with his fee and the politics at play he became an escape goat pretty quickly.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Had a hand in 14 golas in 23 games Bundesliga style this season.

45m and we get to keep one of them after this season. Do want.

Lallana, Ox, and Grujic will pay for it.

Henderson, Coutinho, Keita, Fabinho, Thiago, Wijnaldum, Milner. Good collection of midfielders that.