You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

I really think we will not get a better 4th choice centre back if we sell Lovren. I think folk are vastly overrating how bad he is.  He is a good player. He's error prone, but not as much as people make out. 

When he makes a mistake it's magnified hugely. Whereas you look at the Grealish chance at the end of the Aston Villa game when Allison had to save well? It was from a terrible error by Gomez when he went for a ball he never should have, but it's not mentioned as we are happy with him generally.

With Lovren it's always brain farts that do it, not a lack of footballing ability and so I worry that shipping him out and hoping a kid or some cheap/free new player will fill that 4th choice gap could hit us.

Now, the other side of it of course is that the relationship with LFC fans has got too toxic for it to continue and that he should leave.  But I worry we'll be weaker for it with the squad.

• Upvote 3

Guest Pistonbroke
11 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I really think we will not get a better 4th choice centre back if we sell Lovren. I think folk are vastly overrating how bad he is.  He is a good player. He's error prone, but not as much as people make out. 

When he makes a mistake it's magnified hugely. Whereas you look at the Grealish chance at the end of the Aston Villa game when Allison had to save well? It was from a terrible error by Gomez when he went for a ball he never should have, but it's not mentioned as we are happy with him generally.

With Lovren it's always brain farts that do it, not a lack of footballing ability and so I worry that shipping him out and hoping a kid or some cheap/free new player will fill that 4th choice gap could hit us.

Now, the other side of it of course is that the relationship with LFC fans has got too toxic for it to continue and that he should leave.  But I worry we'll be weaker for it with the squad.

I personally think Gomez is just as error prone as Lovren, and much like Lovren it is down to a lack of concentration. 

12 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Disagree. We should get rid of him if we can, and get in a new CB. Preferrably one who is good enough to be first choice alongside Van Dijk. Gomez has been brilliant at times, and is a perfect partner for Van Dijk, but has a clear weakness in the air. CBs in this league still need to be commanding in the air, and Gomez is far from that. Matip is far better in the air of course, but not a reliable option.

If we dont have the funds to get a top player, we should get one in the 20-23 age brakker that can be developed into one.

20 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

When he does a brain fart he follows it up with several others.  That's why he's 4/5th choice behind players who make terrible errors and those whose limbs are made of twiglets.

Is this extention contingent upon whether or not he leaves in this transfer window? As in, if he and the club agree a deal with another club for a transfer, then there's no need to sign a contract extention. If a transfer doesn't materialise, then the club can trigger a one-year extention to protect his value on the books.

Unfortunately for us, the leagues he would do well in, like Serie A or the Turkish Superlig, are populated by clubs who pretend to be paupers, always looking for a loan with an option to buy (which is never taken up) and the parent club paying the majority (or all) of the wages.

Gomez is a 23 year old fella who has played what 30 or 40 games at CB. He is learning the trade at the very highest level and at times he has been extremely good.

Lovren is on the wrong side of 30 - often on the wrong side of his man and is not going to get any better. Arguably he has already started a decline. And, he has never been extremely good.

Lovren has fundamental flaws in his game that not even partnering him with the best CB in the world can camouflage. He's just as bad as he ever was, only nowadays he's being carried more.

I really don't care what happens to him this window just so long as I don't have to see him in anything but the FA or League Cup teams at most.

Guest Alex_K

Gomez has had a few iffy games at centre back since coming back .. but those are the first iffy games I can really remember him having in the position ever. Right back, yes, but at centre back he’s generally been a rock and our best results have been with him there. I’d be amazed to be honest if there’s another centre back out there available at a reasonable price who is as good as him (esp given age)

2 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Gomez has had a few iffy games at centre back since coming back .. but those are the first iffy games I can really remember him having in the position ever. Right back, yes, but at centre back he’s generally been a rock and our best results have been with him there. I’d be amazed to be honest if there’s another centre back out there available at a reasonable price who is as good as him (esp given age)

He is boss and he will only improve.

But we need better back up than Lovren and more reliable back up than Matip.

30 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Slater still looking great, there, at what, 50? Genetics, eh, they really are a motherfucking lottery aren't they?

That is not the point, I was trying to convey disappointment at the likely occurrence that City and Chelsea will be scrapping for the likes of Koulibaly and Havertz while we get to add a year to Lovrens deal.

Slater is looking decent though to be fair. Tres dapper