You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

1 hour ago, No2 said:

You misunderstood me, I don't think anyone is better than Mane. I was implying that even if you think someone is slightly better you have to consider other factors. I wouldn't swap him for anyone and I include Mbappe in that. And I also think Werner is a tiny bit shit.

Harrods Danny Ings.

1 hour ago, The Gaul said:

This is not anything new for klopp, he's done it all before and never by signing players at their peak,

No, he has never done this before. He has built good teams - he has never been in a position where he holds onto his best players ( as you have pointed out, a number of them amongst the best in the world) AND added to that core. He has also never transitioned between two successful groups ala Ferguson. I think that is the challenge he is excited about now. Still don't think it is easy.

5 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

If thats the case, why hasn't that been communicated? If there was a rationale as to why our transfer kitty is non existent and its reasonable, and the preference from the manager was for long term gain, surely the fanbase would support that?

As it is, they deal with it through spin with local journalists. On the one hand we are getting bashed over the head with articles about how clever we are and how great we are at generating money, and the flip side being told we are skint and that 'this club can't operate like other clubs'.

Absolutely baffling.

You have to treat the transfer market as a game of poker you don't show your hand first only when you have too 

5 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Maybe, but seeing as the fans are the ones providing most of the moolah, placating by explaining some strategy would seem like the smart thing to do.

Not really.  Fans get wound up by not signing players.  Confirming the reasoning behind it wouldn’t placate anyone.  More importantly the club would be giving away a competitive advantage by doing it.  It would be downright negligent to make public statements about things like this.

25 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

No, he has never done this before. He has built good teams - he has never been in a position where he holds onto his best players ( as you have pointed out, a number of them amongst the best in the world) AND added to that core. He has also never transitioned between two successful groups ala Ferguson. I think that is the challenge he is excited about now. Still don't think it is easy.

I didn't mean that. I mean it's not the 1st time he's bought players below world class and made them into stars. This is what he does. 

16 hours ago, No2 said:

It's easy to find someone better than Mingolet, Moreno, Benteke and Jordan Ibe. It's literally impossible to get someone better than Alisson, Virgil or Trent. Robertson, Fabinho, Mane and Salah may not be the best in the world in their position but their in the conversation and we know for certain their attitudes are spot on. Werner  for example might be 5% better than Mane but if he's a prick that marginal gain is wiped and turned into a massive negative.

Through the rest of the team we have Gomez who is in the best 5 young CB's in the world so not much point trying to improve on him. That leaves Henderson, Gini and Firmino in the first XI that we could possibly improve upon, each of those has different characteristics that can't be easily replaced. Of course we should be looking and no doubt we are but it can't be described as easy or anything like it. The lads around the fringes can be improved upon, but again getting a player with more ability and an attitude as good as Ox to sign as a sub is a dream. 

We are officially the world champion's, that is fact and it's not a fluke. Improving on the best of anything is difficult.

And there's the common misconception that you need to have the best players in the world for each position.

It's not about having the best players, it's about having the best blend.  The most classic example of all being Leicester winning the Premiership.

How many of that Leicester team/squad would you rate as word class or best in the world in their position ?

33 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I’ve never thought we’d be in for him at any time, to be honest. I’ve always thought Sancho would be our main interest from the Bundesliga.

He’s 19 and already on £190k per week at Dortmund.  There’s absolutely no way we’d make him one of or the highest paid players at the club especially at his age.

5 minutes ago, J-V said:

He’s 19 and already on £190k per week at Dortmund.  There’s absolutely no way we’d make him one of or the highest paid players at the club especially at his age.

He is a German international if that's the going rate so be it. Forget Werner and Sancho he is the player who has to be bought if he becomes available.

59 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

He is a German international if that's the going rate so be it. Forget Werner and Sancho he is the player who has to be bought if he becomes available.

I was talking about Sanchez hence Dortmund.

We should buy Havertz he's 20, plays midfield and can cover/replace Firmino.  We've enough players we can get rid of to afford him.

10 minutes ago, J-V said:

I was talking about Sanchez hence Dortmund.

We should buy Havertz he's 20, plays midfield and can cover/replace Firmino.  We've enough players we can get rid of to afford him.

My bad need to read the whole thread . Yip cannot allow Chelsea free run at Havertz . 

This summer feels a bit like when Rafa wanted to sign Villa, Silva and Mata and we signed Robbie Keane(minus us winning the league the season before). It’s not realistic that we’d spend the money and wages to sign both Werner and Havertz but watching them both go to a rival and inevitably improve them is shit.

It’s not even the transfer fee that I find unrealistic. If the owners see a potential profit they’d pay it but they’ll never pay big wages to an up and coming kid. The way they operate is they let the players earn their big money deal on our books with a few exceptions we’ve made. Look at how many young kids move on mega money and just fade away. 

First question; why is Chelsea now seemingly this much-sought after destination for footballers?  Is Abramovich just chucking money at players and hoping to steal a march on rivals and get back into challenging for the title 2 years quicker than it would normally take?  But, their manager is Frank Lampard...

And they have a back four of insanely shit proportions. 

Aside from that; should we be in for Havertz?  

Would love to see him in a red shirt, though don't know about his work-rate, haven't watched him enough.  Our midfield 3 really do work their bollocks off for 90 mins.  You would quickly notice holes develop if any of those players stopped covering the ground.  

How much more of Firmino can I take; not much.

Yesterday was a prime example of us not taking our chances and ending up being in a real game for a while.  It's laughable that Brighton were in that position.  We should have racked up 5 goals in the first half with incisive finishing from a proper number 9.  You see the amount of crosses come in from our full-backs and you wonder what's the fucking point. 

Chelsea remind me of the kid spending all their pocket money in one go. They will have a squad of 25 players, 10 of them will be brilliant but they will fighting over 4 positions. The defence and keeper are brittle and Kante has a look of Daniel Sturridge about him recently. It would be hilarious if we sent all their shiney new toys into the Thursday cup.

A lack of interest in the transfer market might well be as much about the manager and the type of challenge he wants in the remaining years of his time at the helm.

I don’t doubt that football finances in general, the spending habits of FSG and the difficulty actually signing players who improve what we already have play a part. 

I’m absolutely not saying that Klopp would put his personal interest over the Club needs either. If money has to be spent to keep winning, he’d be supportive. 

What I do think though, in fact he’s pretty much said this himself, is that he gets more pleasure from developing a winning team than buying one. If he thinks he can do this with the young players coming through as a basis, then that would be his preference. 

The current squad is a bit of a hybrid of expensive purchases (yes, I know where the money came from) and players he’s moulded into footballers that win stuff. I’m sure that now, especially with the two big trophies under his belt, he’d like to do it all again but with more of the latter. It’s helpful that there does appear to be at least four, possibly more, youngsters who have a decent chance of making it. 

This approach might not (probably won’t) be one hundred percent successful but it might stop Klopp banging on Edwards door less often than other managers would. 

In my opinion we need to move on Origi, see if Curtis can take the role as Sadio’s understudy, strongly consider replacing Keita, keep Minamino purely as Bobby’s apprentice, stop playing any of Ox/Minamino as wide forwards and instead buy a 3rd player for those positions who can replace Mo/Sadio for minutes at the end of games, in cup matches and when they’re unavailable/run down/off form/in danger of being run into the ground. I don’t think these are controversial/insightful points, or bear repeating all day every day. Doubt there is an LFC fan on earth who thinks the current squad options behind the two wide lads up front are good enough.

With that said, the young lads coming through were never going to be asked to both break into one of the best teams on planet earth while they’re establishing themselves, at the same time the club is trying to prise the fingers of a Silverback gorilla off it’s throat and dispel a 30 year gypsy curse. It’s gone. It’s lifted. They now don’t have to come on in games where one mistake might throw away the points which mean we don’t finally get the holy grail over the line, etc.

The environment they’d be getting minutes in, while still immensely pressurised and challenging, relatively became more forgiving by orders of magnitude the instant that final whistle went at Chelsea the other Thursday. It might prove to have been as significant to the immediate, individual careers of some of these youth lads on the cusp of the first team as it was to the rest of the club in other ways.

I’d be surprised if they aren’t now blooded at an accelerated rate to what we’ve seen previously. Nobody wants to be following United, but we can see the blueprint for it there. Break the long title drought, lift that suffocating pressure, bring through a crop of youth players who are bound to the club and what it means and keep that band of brothers things going on into the next great team being built.

We literally all want that extra top class addition in the front 3, but this past two summers isn’t some oversight or afterthought or piece of rationalisation/being a company man, FSG-stooge from Klopp. It’s part of the masterplan and why he’s signed on for another few years to oversee them and this next phase of the process. Soak it up and enjoy it. We have a genius at the helm and while we won’t win every title and european cup in the coming years, we’ll be right in there challenging for most if not all of them and it would be a surprise at this stage if we don’t win more of both.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

First question; why is Chelsea now seemingly this much-sought after destination for footballers?  Is Abramovich just chucking money at players and hoping to steal a march on rivals and get back into challenging for the title 2 years quicker than it would normally take?  But, their manager is Frank Lampard...

And they have a back four of insanely shit proportions. 

Aside from that; should we be in for Havertz?  

Would love to see him in a red shirt, though don't know about his work-rate, haven't watched him enough.  Our midfield 3 really do work their bollocks off for 90 mins.  You would quickly notice holes develop if any of those players stopped covering the ground.  

How much more of Firmino can I take; not much.

Yesterday was a prime example of us not taking our chances and ending up being in a real game for a while.  It's laughable that Brighton were in that position.  We should have racked up 5 goals in the first half with incisive finishing from a proper number 9.  You see the amount of crosses come in from our full-backs and you wonder what's the fucking point. 

Baring in mind the two players either side of him score 20 goals a season in no small part to his tireless work and movement what forward could come in and keep all that up and add 10-15  more goals than him on top? None that we could afford and if we did find a more orthodox number 9 to add more goals to that position the other two would probably drop off. A prime David Trezeguet would probably get 30 goals in our team but would take so much away from Mo and Mane.

9 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

In my opinion we need to move on Origi, see if Curtis can take the role as Sadio’s understudy, strongly consider replacing Keita, keep Minamino purely as Bobby’s apprentice, stop playing any of Ox/Minamino as wide forwards and instead buy a 3rd player for those positions who can replace Mo/Sadio for minutes at the end of games, in cup matches and when they’re unavailable/run down/off form/in danger of being run into the ground. I don’t think these are controversial/insightful points, or bear repeating all day every day. Doubt there is an LFC fan on earth who thinks the current squad options behind the two wide lads up front are good enough.

With that said, the young lads coming through were never going to be asked to both break into one of the best teams on planet earth while they’re establishing themselves, at the same time the club is trying to prise the fingers of a Silverback gorilla off it’s throat and dispel a 30 year gypsy curse. It’s gone. It’s lifted. They now don’t have to come on in games where one mistake might throw away points which means we don’t finally get the holy grail over the line, etc.

The environment they’d be getting minutes in, while still immensely pressurised and challenging, relatively became more forgiving by orders of magnitude the instant that final whistle went at Chelsea the other Thursday. It might prove be have been as significant to the immediate, individual careers of some of these youth lads on the cusp of the first team as it was to the rest of the club in other ways.

I’d be surprised if they aren’t blooded at an accelerated rate to what we’ve seen now. Nobody wants to be following United, but we can see the blueprint for it there. Break the long title drought, lift the pressure, bring through a crop of youth players who are bound to the club and what it means and keep that band of brothers things going on into the next great team being built.

We literally all want that extra top class addition in the front 3, but this past two summers isn’t some oversight or afterthought or piece of rationalisation from Klopp. It’s part of the masterplan and why he’s signed on for another few years to oversee them and this next phase of the process. Soak it up and enjoy it, we have a genius at the helm and while we won’t win every title and european cup in the coming years, we’ll be right in there challenging for most if not all of them and it would be a surprise at this stage if we don’t win more of both.

No problem with the WiFi signal on John Henry’s big yacht this morning, obviously.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

With that said, the young lads coming through were never going to be asked to both break into one of the best teams on planet earth while they’re establishing themselves, at the same time the club is trying to prise the fingers of a Silverback gorilla off it’s throat and dispel a 30 year gypsy curse. It’s gone. It’s lifted. They now don’t have to come on in games where one mistake might throw away the points which mean we don’t finally get the holy grail over the line, etc.

The environment they’d be getting minutes in, while still immensely pressurised and challenging, relatively became more forgiving by orders of magnitude the instant that final whistle went at Chelsea the other Thursday. It might prove to have been as significant to the immediate, individual careers of some of these youth lads on the cusp of the first team as it was to the rest of the club in other ways.

I’d be surprised if they aren’t now blooded at an accelerated rate to what we’ve seen previously. Nobody wants to be following United, but we can see the blueprint for it there. Break the long title drought, lift that suffocating pressure, bring through a crop of youth players who are bound to the club and what it means and keep that band of brothers things going on into the next great team being built.

We literally all want that extra top class addition in the front 3, but this past two summers isn’t some oversight or afterthought or piece of rationalisation/being a company man, FSG-stooge from Klopp. It’s part of the masterplan and why he’s signed on for another few years to oversee them and this next phase of the process. Soak it up and enjoy it. We have a genius at the helm and while we won’t win every title and european cup in the coming years, we’ll be right in there challenging for most if not all of them and it would be a surprise at this stage if we don’t win more of both.

A left sided forward is what we need IMO. Shaqiri and Mane could cover for Salah if needed, but we don’t have cover for Mane. Origi is fine as a number 9 but useless on the left. Ox is a midfielder and plays like one when played upfront.