You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

4 hours ago, No2 said:

. The idea of finding a better player than any of our first XI is fanciful, the idea of finding one that has the character Klopp demands is next to impossible.

I don't know if it's all that tough to find good players with good attitude. Of the 14 players used in the uefa cup final at the end of klopps 1st season in may 2016, just one of them is in our regular line up and perhaps just 3 would make the 14 used. So he's either found outside or inside the club 11 players of that quality. He did that in around 2 years as we've barely bought since alisson joined the club. I absolutely never buy into the idea that there are no players, because the world is full of them. And any new player doesn't just have to improve the first XI, because that's sound. Our 2nd XI isn't. 

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Yeah it doesn't count towards FFP but as you say it still has to be paid for. As I understand it, FSG loan the money for stadium expansion and the new training ground and the club then pays it back over a period of years. The Main Stand pays for itself with the increased revenue it brings (although not since lockdown) but there's no money to be made from the new training ground.

This is where we differ from the likes of Chelsea and City. Their owners would just pay for it themselves, whereas ours do not operate that way (and nor would I expect them to, in fairness). So City can build the Etihad campus and spend whatever they like without it impacting on transfer funds, but we don't have that luxury.

The thing is, we didn't even need to move training grounds but this is what Klopp wants to do. From what I've been told, Klopp knew that the training ground would eat into the budget and he was given the option of remaining at Melwood and having a bigger transfer kitty.

Almost every other manager out there would have taken the transfer funds and stayed at Melwood (which is an elite training facility) but Klopp is unique in that regard as he's completely selfless. He wanted to have everything under one roof because he believes it is in the long term best of the club, which is why he won't complain now, in the middle of a global pandemic, if the money isn't there for players.

The loan for the main stand came via fsg initially, but it's now been replaced by a loan directly to the club I think. 

1 hour ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

A top number 2 goalie, a really good young cb (white?), decent cover for Robbo and a competent forward that scores goals when Bobby or the other lads need a break would be great. 

Wow , the most racist thing I have ever seen on here.

• Upvote 10

9 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

So he's either found outside or inside the club 11 players of that quality.

6 of those are in our top 7 transfer fees we ever paid. So, not necessarily easy to find, much less get the deal done. Top players are like that. Difficult.

That is before you worry about about the mentality aspect.

When you add in Gomez, Trent and Jones and there seems to be a pretty sound strategy recently.

Was chatting to my dad last night about Ben White. 

Reckons he’s been that good this season Leeds won’t be able to afford him in the summer. Said the most sensible thing to do is for him to play for Brighton in the PL next year and they’d be able to double the money they could get for him by next summer. 

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

6 of those are in our top 7 transfer fees we ever paid. So, not necessarily easy to find, much less get the deal done. Top players are like that. Difficult.

That is before you worry about about the mentality aspect.

When you add in Gomez, Trent and Jones and there seems to be a pretty sound strategy recently.

Well naturally it's some of our biggest transfers, the market has been mental for most of that period. All clubs are spending money, Bournemouth in that period managed 20m for solanke for example and to counter balance that, we've also had some of our biggest sales in that period, sakho 26m, benteke 32m, coutinho 140m, it's just the price of the market. Gone are the days of signing the best player in the world for 440k.

All I am trying to say is there seems to be an idea once you're good, it's impossible to find players to improve on it. The history of football and especially the dominance shown by ourselves and man united for the best part of 40 years would show otherwise. The way you keep your team at the top is having the ability to identify players who will challenge your existing players. Sometimes when you sign players it's not just the benefit you get from that new player coming in, but the push it gives the player in possession of the shirt. The moment in any sport you begin to think you've cracked it and there's nothing can be done to improve is the moment you start the decline. 

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Reckons he’s been that good this season Leeds won’t be able to afford him in the summer. Said the most sensible thing to do is for him to play for Brighton in the PL next year and they’d be able to double the money they could get for him by next summer. 

I read something earlier in the season saying we've had somebody present watching him at every single game he's played for Leeds. Don't know if it's true or not like, but there's obviously some interest there.

1 minute ago, dave u said:

I read something earlier in the season saying we've had somebody present watching him at every single game he's played for Leeds. Don't know if it's true or not like, but there's obviously some interest there.

My ol fella said there’s been more scouts at games watching him than away fans. 

48 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Would he agree to be a 3rd/4th choice for us, is the issue. By all accounts he's a terrific defender but I don't know why he'd sign for us unless we sold both Matip and Lovren. I'd agree he should stay at Brighton. 

6 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

The moment in any sport you begin to think you've cracked it and there's nothing can be done to improve is the moment you start the decline. 

I totally agree with that (and that we are not talking about strategies that worked in the past) - I am just not sure the notion that there are plenty of fellas who can crack the nut for us.

Look at the type of players Barca/Real or Bayern bring in over that same time period. 

Real paid over 200 mil last season for a few guys who cannot get a game. That is BEFORE you figure in Hazard.

Barca hand picked the guy who was going to improve them, form us, and have been trying to flog him ever since.

That is before you worry about Dembele, Malcolm, Griezmann or whoever was the world class talent that was supposed to slot right in.

Bayern - paid through the nose for a defender who sits on the bench.

Doesn't seem so easy tbh.

10 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Would he agree to be a 3rd/4th choice for us, is the issue. By all accounts he's a terrific defender but I don't know why he'd sign for us unless we sold both Matip and Lovren. I'd agree he should stay at Brighton. 

If we bought him Lovren would be gone, the other two miss enough games he would get starts easily.

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Wow , the most racist thing I have ever seen on here.

Haha! In truth I've only see him a few times but by all accounts he is a big talent.

A part of me would love us to sign zlatan. He's still a very good player and wouldn't settle for being a squad player. I actually think that while he has an ego, he would have gigantic respect for Jurgen. Not one for the long term though and would be a big wage. The most un-FSG signing ever.

3 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

If we bought him Lovren would be gone, the other two miss enough games he would get starts easily.

Sure but the injuries are "ifs". If Matip and Gomez stay fit, he'd maybe be getting some cup games and that's it. Way better for his career to just stay at Brighton and start every game. 

1 hour ago, The Gaul said:

I don't know if it's all that tough to find good players with good attitude. Of the 14 players used in the uefa cup final at the end of klopps 1st season in may 2016, just one of them is in our regular line up and perhaps just 3 would make the 14 used. So he's either found outside or inside the club 11 players of that quality. He did that in around 2 years as we've barely bought since alisson joined the club. I absolutely never buy into the idea that there are no players, because the world is full of them. And any new player doesn't just have to improve the first XI, because that's sound. Our 2nd XI isn't. 

The loan for the main stand came via fsg initially, but it's now been replaced by a loan directly to the club I think. 

It's easy to find someone better than Mingolet, Moreno, Benteke and Jordan Ibe. It's literally impossible to get someone better than Alisson, Virgil or Trent. Robertson, Fabinho, Mane and Salah may not be the best in the world in their position but their in the conversation and we know for certain their attitudes are spot on. Werner  for example might be 5% better than Mane but if he's a prick that marginal gain is wiped and turned into a massive negative.

Through the rest of the team we have Gomez who is in the best 5 young CB's in the world so not much point trying to improve on him. That leaves Henderson, Gini and Firmino in the first XI that we could possibly improve upon, each of those has different characteristics that can't be easily replaced. Of course we should be looking and no doubt we are but it can't be described as easy or anything like it. The lads around the fringes can be improved upon, but again getting a player with more ability and an attitude as good as Ox to sign as a sub is a dream. 

We are officially the world champion's, that is fact and it's not a fluke. Improving on the best of anything is difficult.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Sure but the injuries are "ifs". If Matip and Gomez stay fit, he'd maybe be getting some cup games and that's it. Way better for his career to just stay at Brighton and start every game. 

Probably but we need a new cb, the kids aren’t ready and Fabinho needs to stay in midfield.

9 minutes ago, No2 said:

It's easy to find someone better than Mingolet, Moreno, Benteke and Jordan Ibe. It's literally impossible to get someone better than Alisson, Virgil or Trent. Robertson, Fabinho, Mane and Salah may not be the best in the world in their position but their in the conversation and we know for certain their attitudes are spot on. Werner  for example might be 5% better than Mane but if he's a prick that marginal gain is wiped and turned into a massive negative.

Through the rest of the team we have Gomez who is in the best 5 young CB's in the world so not much point trying to improve on him. That leaves Henderson, Gini and Firmino in the first XI that we could possibly improve upon, each of those has different characteristics that can't be easily replaced. Of course we should be looking and no doubt we are but it can't be described as easy or anything like it. The lads around the fringes can be improved upon, but again getting a player with more ability and an attitude as good as Ox to sign as a sub is a dream. 

We are officially the world champion's, that is fact and it's not a fluke. Improving on the best of anything is difficult.

It's origi, lallana and Lovren we need to improve on., and that's easy if we stop acting paupers. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Grinch said:

It's origi, lallana and Lovren we need to improve on., and that's easy if we stop acting paupers. 

Your looking to find the balance between a player that is better than Origi but worse than Firmino that is also willing to be a sub for 2 years and never say a word out of place. It's possible but not easy.

Agree on Lallana and Curtis Jones is already that.

Even though he is everyones favorite whipping boy - it would not be so easy with Lovren - the player who would not balk a being 4th choice is probably not that much better.

Origi is the one. And while I think it is ridiculous to think Werner is 5% better than Mane (looking at you @No2

I agree there has to be a forward that is better than Minamino available.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

We had Owen, Fowler, Heskey and Litmanen for 2 spots. 

There’s no way we can’t find a fourth attacker good enough to rotate with the front 3. 

Litmanen shouldn't have been in one of those two spots though. Annoying that we didn't know what to do with him. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Agree on Lallana and Curtis Jones is already that.

Even though he is everyones favorite whipping boy - it would not be so easy with Lovren - the player who would not balk a being 4th choice is probably not that much better.

Origi is the one. And while I think it is ridiculous to think Werner is 5% better than Mane (looking at you @No2

I agree there has to be a forward that is better than Minamino available.

You misunderstood me, I don't think anyone is better than Mane. I was implying that even if you think someone is slightly better you have to consider other factors. I wouldn't swap him for anyone and I include Mbappe in that. And I also think Werner is a tiny bit shit.

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

I totally agree with that (and that we are not talking about strategies that worked in the past) - I am just not sure the notion that there are plenty of fellas who can crack the nut for us.

Look at the type of players Barca/Real or Bayern bring in over that same time period. 

Real paid over 200 mil last season for a few guys who cannot get a game. That is BEFORE you figure in Hazard.

Barca hand picked the guy who was going to improve them, form us, and have been trying to flog him ever since.

That is before you worry about Dembele, Malcolm, Griezmann or whoever was the world class talent that was supposed to slot right in.

Bayern - paid through the nose for a defender who sits on the bench.

Doesn't seem so easy tbh.

Well the trouble at Barca and Madrid is they often don't buy for the benefit of the team and want people who are good for marketing reasons. Just the fact Nike accidentally broke the coutinho transfer story to Barca is an illustration of that. So I'm not saying it's easy and everyone can do it, I'm saying I don't believe it's impossible, there are lots of players in the world and if you do your scouting correctly, buy for where you need, there are always players. 

2 hours ago, No2 said:

You list a bunch of players there that are the best in the world in their position or very close to it. Yet not one of them was rated as that the day we signed them. Some may have been very close (alisson) and others looked like they were ready to be there (vvd and Salah), but none of them were the best and have travelled some way in some cases (robbo and Trent) to get there. So it doesn't mean every signing has to drop straight in to the first XI, they just need to be able to challenge them. They need to be the type of character who isn't daunted about putting a good player out of the team and has faith in the ability and a willingness to learn - which by the way all of our players are still doing.

The world is full of good footballers and as klopp has shown not just here but at his previous clubs, if you nurture them correctly they can be world stars in no time. This is not anything new for klopp, he's done it all before and never by signing players at their peak, he's bought them before their peak and normally taken their best years. I personally think it's defeatist talk to think "all our guys are the best, let's stop here as it's too hard to get better". 

• Upvote 2