You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

8 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

A training ground which has £10m funding it from the sale of Melwood and the ground extension which they've put off indefinitely.

Will have to see what other clubs are doing but if its business as usual for most of them you have to ask why Liverpool cant spend any money. Despite 3 years CL qualification, winning 4 trophies, increased sponsorship, expanded stadium, bigger kit deal and at the peak of worldwide popularity. 

Even before the pandemic there's always been an excuse not to spend.

Need to get in the CL

Buying x player will block a younger players path.

No value in January

Player x didnt convince the transfer committee with his numbers.

Liverpool dont need to buy players because they are cleverer than everyone else. 

Infrastructure doesn't count towards FFP, so they're free to spend how ever much choose to.

They could do the planned work on the ground, but it's probably best to put it off due to the 'thing' that's floating about, but even if they built a stadium made of gold it wouldn't effect FFP.

8 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Do Liverpool have to play Leicester before the end of the season? The only reason I can think of is to prevent him playing against us. I'm not even sure he has played enough matches for a medal.

Even if we hadn't played Leicester twice, it would be impossible for Lallana to play against us anyway. The player registration for this season is closed.

It was the right thing for the club to extend Lallana's contract until the end of this extended season. You only have to read/listen to how he's thought of at the club to appreciate why that decision was made. (That equaliser at Old Trafford certainly earned him the extension too, imho).

Also love the way Jimbo Pearce only Tweets out half of the comments made by Klopp regarding potential transfer activity:

"Are there players out there on the market who could help us as well? Probably, yes," Klopp said. 

"This is a challenge to us to improve a really good football team. But time is a challenge as well. Nobody knows what the future will hold for all of us, so how can we make decisions, really expensive decisions, about how we deal with it? 

"This team is how it is. It does not mean we do not want to strengthen it if we have the opportunity or if we have the financial resources. It will always happen. We will always try. 

"But at the moment it is a difficult time and this team makes pressure on each other, by itself, internally in training the quality is high. 

"This is a difficult year for all football clubs in the world and it is not just a time when we talk about transfers as if the rest around us has not happened. It is not possible. At least, not for us. We cannot do it like this. 

"Other clubs maybe can, but this club is lead in a specific way. This is our way and here we are. Is it the best way? I do not know, but we will stick to it."

• Upvote 4

We've got a few youngsters with tremendous potential who could be about to have a breakout season.

But that's not as interesting to some as waving huge cheques about.  I understand that, I get the general frustration.

But the combination of FSG and Klopp's track record suggests they know what they're doing.

Some seem to be more concerned with other clubs signing players - who gives a fuck what they do ?  They fucking need to sign quality just to catch us up !

I get the distinct impression some are less concerned with genuine team development than they are with a new shiny mega expensive signing.  That somehow we need to spend as much as others, or be seen to be failing.  Total bollocks.

I knew Klopp's track record, I had absolute confidence in him from the day he signed.  And he's exceeded my wildest expectations.  He puts faith in his players, and it obviously works as winning 4 trophies in 13 or so months is no fluke.

I can't blame FSG one bit for being cautious, nobody knows what the immediate future holds and it could be potentially suicidal to go splashing large sums of cash around when you don't have a guaranteed income to back that.

Yes we need to continually keep trying to improve to stay on the perch we took so long to get back on, but it doesn't necessarily need to jeopardize the club's future.

Ferguson did it at United, it could be that Klopp may emulate that now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

Personally I think any team bringing in a load of new players will suffer due to the empty stadium scenario. It won't be easy for new players to gel under those circumstances. We have a squad of players that are fine tuned by the best manager in the World at the moment, we also have 3/4 promising youngsters ready to break into the picture. Why break up a settled squad under the current conditions and uncertainty financially speaking? With Klopp's reach and contacts, I'm sure we'll strengthen the overall squad by bringing in cheap/free/loan players, he also has a canny eye for getting things right in the transfer market. 

Transfer activity is so strange in this age of social media. I get the sense that there's a feeling of entitlement from some supporters, but also a sense of snobbery at the same time too. Why do we have to spend, or be seen to spend, twelvty million on a player for them to actually be a good acquisition?

I still look back on when we bought Robbo - Despite the fee being a modest* £8-10 million, there was a real grumble of dissatisfaction about the transfer as he'd only played for Hull, and was only just breaking into the Scottish national team. Look at how that's turned out.

*modest in today's football transfer market.

What a number of supporters don't ever tend to consider is the person that is being signed, they tend to focus just on the player, the club he's coming from, and the fee being paid.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

A decade ago we nearly went out of business. And now we are league Champions and reigning European Cup holders. 

We have an absolutely monstrous wage bill because finally someone realised that half the reason we were losing our best players was what we paid. Would people have liked to see Alisson, Van Dijk and Mane poached last summer? It’s probably the reality that we can’t pay huge wages whilst paying loads for players regularly. And certainly not when we’ve spent on the stadium, the training ground and are looking at a huge loss due to Coronavirus.

How on earth are there people on here moaning at owners when it is abundantly clear we can’t go into huge debt with things as they are. I don’t care what the other clubs are doing. We spent what we make and a global pandemic has put paid to that for a year. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Klopp clearly likes and respects Lallana hugely, but he’s not a man who appears to view the club’s money as charity. Sometimes the phrase “He spends LFC’s money like his own” gets used about Jurgen, but I have a suspicion he spends every last quid of the club’s money far more carefully, through a sense of duty. I don’t doubt he’d spend his own money to do something out of respect for Lallana, because he’s a class act. If he’s using finances he’s currently telling people are scarce to keep him around when he’s not going to play any minutes though, we won’t get clearer evidence of the stuff coming out of the club re players many fans don’t rate highly - Mignolet, Moreno, Lallana, Lovren, Ox, etc - being equally important to our successes, because of their high standards of professionalism behind the scenes and the daily intensity/quality of training.

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Infrastructure doesn't count towards FFP, so they're free to spend how ever much choose to.

They could do the planned work on the ground, but it's probably best to put it off due to the 'thing' that's floating about, but even if they built a stadium made of gold it wouldn't effect FFP.

Yep, I know it doesnt count towards FFP but it's another added expense that means the squad won't be added to. 

Just now, Doctor Troy said:

Yep, I know it doesnt count towards FFP but it's another added expense that means the squad won't be added to. 

Just showing it’s a false equivalency to equate the two.

They can spend it they want to, but all evidence points to them not wanting to. 

Which is a really shame as we’re currently on the cusp of a dynasty...

• Upvote 1

Klopp has never been in the position where he can improve on already great players. At Mainz his players were shit, at Dortmund he was constantly trying to retain what he had. Now he has 99% of the squad locked down to long-term contracts, on wages so high money won't be a factor if anyone ever wants out.

At all of his clubs the players all love him. One of the reasons for the love is the loyalty he shows to the players (see Adam Lalanna), I can't see  him just discarding one his players for a fancy new toy when those players are giving 100%. The idea of finding a better player than any of our first XI is fanciful, the idea of finding one that has the character Klopp demands is next to impossible.

A young left back with potential is the most I can see happening this summer. Possibly Divock being replaced too, that's it. 

40 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Klopp clearly likes and respects Lallana hugely, but he’s not a man who appears to view the club’s money as charity. Sometimes the phrase “He spends LFC’s money like his own” gets used about Jurgen, but I have a suspicion he spends every last quid of the club’s money far more carefully, through a sense of duty. I don’t doubt he’d spend his own money to do something out of respect for Lallana, because he’s a class act. If he’s using finances he’s currently telling people are scarce to keep him around when he’s not going to play any minutes though, we won’t get clearer evidence of the stuff coming out of the club re players many fans don’t rate highly - Mignolet, Moreno, Lallana, Lovren, Ox, etc - being equally important to our successes, because of their high standards of professionalism behind the scenes and the daily intensity/quality of training.

Has Dr Nowt just dropped a huge hint that Klopp is paying Lallana’s wages? 

• Upvote 2

I'm quite happy with us spending what we re-coup. The big question is how quickly is the matchday revenue going to return? Are we being stingy or other clubs reckless?

If Klopp doesn't have room for Shaqiri, Wilson, Grujic, Lovren, Ojo, Ejaria, Karius whilst getting Lallana and Clyne off the wage bill you'd think a bit of money might become available! Back up for Robbo is essential, another CB to replace Lovren (Ben White?) and possible upgrade on Origi/Keita - assuming we can shift them that is.

50 minutes ago, RoyHodgeGone said:

I'm quite happy with us spending what we re-coup. The big question is how quickly is the matchday revenue going to return? Are we being stingy or other clubs reckless?

If Klopp doesn't have room for Shaqiri, Wilson, Grujic, Lovren, Ojo, Ejaria, Karius whilst getting Lallana and Clyne off the wage bill you'd think a bit of money might become available! Back up for Robbo is essential, another CB to replace Lovren (Ben White?) and possible upgrade on Origi/Keita - assuming we can shift them that is.

Good points. chelsea had the transfer ban last season so apart from one deal already arranged, kept back most of that's season's transfer budget. If there'd been no ban and they'd have bought, would they be looking to splash the cash now?

I find it really weird players like Werner and Havertz seriously consider chelsea a viable place to go. It seems werner chased the money and we'll have to wait to see about Havertz but surely neither of them see Fwank as a top manager?

It will be interesting to see how many chelsea offload to pay for these 2 players if they get them both, Ive seen reports 6 will have to go. In someways, lampard reminds me of souey the manager. The M.O. was to just buy another expensive player but that didnt lead to any improvement.

It also remains to be seen if united really spend in the window. Similarly, it remains to be seen whether we dont!

11 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Klopp has said Lallana will not play for Liverpool again in order to protect his transfer.

Since Lallana won't be here next season, Klopp wants to focus on those players who will, as well as giving some of the youngsters like Jones, Williams and Elliott more game time.

11 hours ago, J-V said:

What was the point of extending the wasters contract.

Klopp said himself that Lallana is exemplary in training. Whatever the fans think of Lallana, that sort of thing is what Klopp values. Somebody like Lallana giving his all in training and getting on well with everybody is used as a way to get more out of all the others, so the squad's level improves and the team's level improves. While the club has already achieved its objective to win the league, there must be no slacking off. If any easing back is allowed to happen, it can quickly settle in and then it will be hard to regain intensity again.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Good points. chelsea had the transfer ban last season so apart from one deal already arranged, kept back most of that's season's transfer budget. If there'd been no ban and they'd have bought, would they be looking to splash the cash now?

I find it really weird players like Werner and Havertz seriously consider chelsea a viable place to go. It seems werner chased the money and we'll have to wait to see about Havertz but surely neither of them see Fwank as a top manager?

It will be interesting to see how many chelsea offload to pay for these 2 players if they get them both, Ive seen reports 6 will have to go. In someways, lampard reminds me of souey the manager. The M.O. was to just buy another expensive player but that didnt lead to any improvement.

It also remains to be seen if united really spend in the window. Similarly, it remains to be seen whether we dont!

Lampard would have been a top player in really good Chelsea teams when those lads were kids. Throw in the London attraction and a top wage and it makes them candidates for lads like them.

My gut feeling is that we are keeping our powder dry for at least 1 massive signing next season like Sancho or Havertz. It will be supplememted by selling one of our current stars, who will be a year older but with a big sell on value.

A top number 2 goalie, a really good young cb (white?), decent cover for Robbo and a competent forward that scores goals when Bobby or the other lads need a break would be great. Thiago would be a dream signing, but the above would make our bench look much stronger.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Yeah it doesn't count towards FFP but as you say it still has to be paid for. As I understand it, FSG loan the money for stadium expansion and the new training ground and the club then pays it back over a period of years. The Main Stand pays for itself with the increased revenue it brings (although not since lockdown) but there's no money to be made from the new training ground.

This is where we differ from the likes of Chelsea and City. Their owners would just pay for it themselves, whereas ours do not operate that way (and nor would I expect them to, in fairness). So City can build the Etihad campus and spend whatever they like without it impacting on transfer funds, but we don't have that luxury.

The thing is, we didn't even need to move training grounds but this is what Klopp wants to do. From what I've been told, Klopp knew that the training ground would eat into the budget and he was given the option of remaining at Melwood and having a bigger transfer kitty.

Almost every other manager out there would have taken the transfer funds and stayed at Melwood (which is an elite training facility) but Klopp is unique in that regard as he's completely selfless. He wanted to have everything under one roof because he believes it is in the long term best of the club, which is why he won't complain now, in the middle of a global pandemic, if the money isn't there for players.

• Upvote 10

23 minutes ago, dave u said:

Yeah it doesn't count towards FFP but as you say it still has to be paid for. As I understand it, FSG loan the money for stadium expansion and the new training ground and the club then pays it back over a period of years. The Main Stand pays for itself with the increased revenue it brings (although not since lockdown) but there's no money to be made from the new training ground.

This is where we differ from the likes of Chelsea and City. Their owners would just pay for it themselves, whereas ours do not operate that way (and nor would I expect them to, in fairness). So City can build the Etihad campus and spend whatever they like without it impacting on transfer funds, but we don't have that luxury.

The thing is, we didn't even need to move training grounds but this is what Klopp wants to do. From what I've been told, Klopp knew that the training ground would eat into the budget and he was given the option of remaining at Melwood and having a bigger transfer kitty.

Almost every other manager out there would have taken the transfer funds and stayed at Melwood (which is an elite training facility) but Klopp is unique in that regard as he's completely selfless. He wanted to have everything under one roof because he believes it is in the long term best of the club, which is why he won't complain now, in the middle of a global pandemic, if the money isn't there for players.

If thats the case, why hasn't that been communicated? If there was a rationale as to why our transfer kitty is non existent and its reasonable, and the preference from the manager was for long term gain, surely the fanbase would support that?

As it is, they deal with it through spin with local journalists. On the one hand we are getting bashed over the head with articles about how clever we are and how great we are at generating money, and the flip side being told we are skint and that 'this club can't operate like other clubs'.

Absolutely baffling.

22 minutes ago, WhiskeyJar said:

Class act is Kopp. He will never call himself one but we all know what an absolute legend he truly is.

Makes me wonder where we would be without him.

Somewhere around 6th with people still pretending mignolet is the best keeper outside the top four.