You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

51 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Definitely playing tricks. First season he was imperious. By the end his legs had gone but he elevated them from also-rans to title winners in alongside Costa in 14/15.

I remember Costa doing well. I was always underwhelmed with fabragas. Thought he was great at arsenal obviously.

57 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I don’t think his injury record is quite as bad as being made out. He’s definitely had his problems but he’s hardly a Lallana or Sturridge. Last five seasons he’s played 42, 41, 32, 42 and 35 games. Not too bad. 

762CABAD-238C-4865-83BC-0E0A6B2D410F.png

Better than i thought to be honest

Guest Alex_K
2 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

I remember Costa doing well. I was always underwhelmed with fabragas. Thought he was great at arsenal obviously.

Nope. Fabregas led the league with 18 assists that season. Next place was 11 assists - not even close. Distinctly remember watching him dominate Burnley in their first game. Was obviously heightened awareness for us having come so close the season before.

6 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

Interesting, I read in one of the articles yesterday about him he'd managed just under 150 games in 7 years

He's someone who clearly needs his fitness managed and probably can't play consecutively, but when he plays he's world class. 

39 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Nope. Fabregas led the league with 18 assists that season. Next place was 11 assists - not even close. Distinctly remember watching him dominate Burnley in their first game. Was obviously heightened awareness for us having come so close the season before.

Fair enough. As I say, I genuinely don't recall it. Was it just one good season he had then and the rest were ordinary?

Guest Alex_K
9 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

Fair enough. As I say, I genuinely don't recall it. Was it just one good season he had then and the rest were ordinary?

No had another v good season when they won the league the 2nd time under Conte (12 assists & 5 goals in 30 games; 4th most in the league). Had a decent season the year in-between too but nothing to shout home about (Mourinho meltdown year). Started to fade badly after that Conte-title win; to be honest think his legs just went as he was never the quickest to begin with. A lot of injuries too. At Monaco now but he's hardly played football for the last 3 years.

If you are going to spend the best part of 35ml on a playmaking midfielder why not try and force Lyon arm, they have no champions league football and will likely need to sell. Houssem Aouar is 21 and surely more in line with our policy on players

Nothing about the Thiago link makes sense.

1) We're apparently not signing anybody

2) If we were signing someone, centre midfield is the last position we should be looking at.

3) He's 29, that's not how we operate these days.

4) The 'journalists' (Palmeri and Romano) who are most vocal about it happening have never been right about anything. Ever.

I'd be genuinely shocked if we signed him.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

If you are going to spend the best part of 35ml on a playmaking midfielder why not try and force Lyon arm, they have no champions league football and will likely need to sell. Houssem Aouar is 21 and surely more in line with our policy on players

Thiago fits with our current window of winning trophies in the short term and makes us better right away. Aouar is still a project and would take months to acclimatize. There's a place for both kinds of signings, but Thiago is world class. You can't pass that up at that price and I hope we don't. 

You can when he spends as much time on the injury table as he does.

We already have Matip and Nabby in the squad missing loads of games

Thiago missed 9 games this year, 7 the year before and 19 the year before. He is talented but we have far bigger needs than another midfielder. Unless someone is leaving this makes little to no sense

13 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Thiago fits with our current window of winning trophies in the short term and makes us better right away. Aouar is still a project and would take months to acclimatize. There's a place for both kinds of signings, but Thiago is world class. You can't pass that up at that price and I hope we don't. 

Thiago might take months to acclimatise. He wouldn't be the first 29 year old to struggle with the physicality of the Premier League.

22 minutes ago, dave u said:

2) If we were signing someone, centre midfield is the last position we should be looking at.

4) The 'journalists' (Palmeri and Romano) who are most vocal about it happening have never been right about anything. Ever.

That's done it. Put money on him signing as @dave u says he's not. 

9 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Thiago might take months to acclimatise. He wouldn't be the first 29 year old to struggle with the physicality of the Premier League.

I'm generally for the signing of younger players as much as anyone, but we don't need to build a team and develop it anymore, we've already done it. Where we are, if we can afford it, we shouldn't say no to a world class player at that price because he's 29. 

And you can say every signing needs to acclimatize but I'll give an experienced world class player the benefit of the doubt to do that quicker than most.

Fernandes is younger but it took him about a week to deal with the physicality and he was playing in Portugal and Italy. If you're good enough, you're good enough and Thiago is good enough. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, dave u said:

I live for the day you fuck off to The Athletic and leave the rest of us to dream!

• Upvote 1