You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Leverkusen didn't qualify for the CL and they were prepared to lower their valuation from £90m to around £70m after missing out.

Hope he doesn't go to Chelsea.

We need to sign him.  We have enough fringe players we can shift to raise the money.

3 hours ago, RoyHodgeGone said:

First of all I want to see Ben White. I know he's only playing in the championship but he looks THAT good. Some sort of cover at left back. Given the strength of our midfield I wouldn't mind someone who is better going forward than defending. Preferably someone versatile who is young or a mature player on a free. As for a marquee signing either a creative midfielder or another attacking option. 

If well sell Origi, Wilson, Grujic and a few others it seems feasible.

Yes, please. This radar from a 22-year old is insane. To have White, Gomez, and Hoever growing into the role at centre back would set us up perfectly for the next few years. By the time van Dijk starts to decline we'd already have his replacements in house.

Ben-White-Championship-2019_2020.png?w=6

6 hours ago, cloggypop said:

No idea. Groningen aren't very good though. Depends how fit he can get himself I suppose. 

He’ll still get at least five of those trademark goals where he gets the ball our wide, drifts in and bangs it into the far top corner. Annoyed me when he was with Chelsea but what a footballer. 

5 minutes ago, Funkasy said:

If we are buying any arsenal player it should be Martinelli 

They'd never sell him.

I think the rumours are probably just his agent trying to get a higher wage out of Arsenal, but if it's true that there's a chance of Saka coming here for cheap I'd definitely be up for that. I know he says he doesn't want to be a fullback but I would think Klopp could convince him that he'd be a crucial part of a trophy-winning side as Robertson's backup. He's absolutely made to play that role for us.

We definitely need a left footed back up/rotation option for Robertson. 

I like the look of Robin Gosens at Atalanta. He's 25, so a decent age. Plays left midfield for them in a 3-4-1-2 formation. But he looks like he could play left back easily. Fast. Can run with the ball and put in a good cross. Seems good defensively too. Quite tenacious. Plus, Atalanta play a high intensity pressing game like we do, so he wouldn't take long to adapt to our style of play. He also scores a few goals at the back post when it comes over from the right wing. He looks like he could slot in anywhere down the left side, so could even play with Robertson down the left. 

Just the way he chases and gets stuck in makes him look like a player who'd thrive under Klopp's style of play. 

• Upvote 1

Just looking through all the free agents. 

If the club is looking to either just wait till next season and watch finances or nab a couple of bargains with the option of selling on some potentially good players on a bosman this summer. 

If you could get some on one or two year deals or shawiri types to move on and make a profit. 

Cavani, William, Pedro

Others might have a better knowledge of them but some young lads in France on the move aswell

Malang Saar

Tanguy Kouassi

Can see us saving our pennies for a while, we have a good squad, with lots of players at their peak, but they are very similar in age and you can imagine a few showing their age at the same time.

Look at the front 3, all born within about 8 months of each other, it's going to be hard to replace all three at once. 

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Just looking through all the free agents. 

If the club is looking to either just wait till next season and watch finances or nab a couple of bargains with the option of selling on some potentially good players on a bosman this summer. 

If you could get some on one or two year deals or shawiri types to move on and make a profit. 

Cavani, William, Pedro

Others might have a better knowledge of them but some young lads in France on the move aswell

Malang Saar

Tanguy Kouassi

If we're not gonna spend money, Cavani would make sense if he doesn't mind playing a bit part role. Still has massive workrate and goal scoring ability. A good stylistic fit as a short term rotation option and a true 9. Only problem are the injuries. 

Sarr is a bit crap. Kouassi is a fantastic young defender but he'll go to a club where he'll get playing time which is not here. 

1 hour ago, Aventus said:

Can see us saving our pennies for a while, we have a good squad, with lots of players at their peak, but they are very similar in age and you can imagine a few showing their age at the same time.

Look at the front 3, all born within about 8 months of each other, it's going to be hard to replace all three at once. 

Yeah, I've said on here more than once that I think we're in danger of waiting too long to move one or two of the front three on to let their legs fall off on somewhere else.

However, I suspect that the strategy is to just essentially leave things as they are for one more season, and then start to make changes after that. I think it would have made more long-term sense to start the re-do this summer, but I can certainly understand wanting to go again with this group next year. If we can win another major trophy or two, then even if we have to go through a season or two where we're 3rd/4th rather than runaway title-winners while we re-tool the squad a bit, I'm OK with that.

So maybe it looks like:

2020-21: go all out to win the league or CL with good odds of doing so

2021-22: sell one of the front three, bring in a replacement with an understanding we'll drop off 5-10 points

2022-23: sell another one, maybe two of the front three, bring in another replacement or two

2023-24: by this time the new players have settled, go all out to win the league/CL again with good odds of doing so

2024 onwards: the bulk of the squad is at peak ages and primed to go on a run for 2-3 years without big changes

6 hours ago, aRdja said:

The bad news:

- we aren’t going to sign Sancho this summer

- we aren’t going to spend big yet again

The good news:

- we aren’t selling anyone important

- Klopp seems happy with the approach

After the title I would not be surprised that all starting first teamers are on 120 to 200 a week now. For any team business that's a big commitment but that's what has had to be done to keep klopp happy. He has a highly paid team that know and perform a system very effectively. As such the subs will be youngsters and players on 20 to 70 not top tier but again happy in their roles and potential for the future. On top of that I would be gettinh Fab an extension right now. 

So can understand why Werner didn't come to fruition and basically same applies to Havertz but in terms of age and potential I think we have to be in for him. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, RoyHodgeGone said:

First of all I want to see Ben White. I know he's only playing in the championship but he looks THAT good. Some sort of cover at left back. Given the strength of our midfield I wouldn't mind someone who is better going forward than defending. Preferably someone versatile who is young or a mature player on a free. As for a marquee signing either a creative midfielder or another attacking option. 

If well sell Origi, Wilson, Grujic and a few others it seems feasible.

One of my Leeds supporting friends appeared to be having some form of orgasm whilst describing his performance yesterday. He’s desperate for Leeds to sign him on a permanent basis and is adamant, if Brighton sell, Ben White would choose them over us.

For this reason alone, I’m all in on Ben White. I shall take great joy in pointing out that he was sitting on our bench whilst they were shipping five at home against West Ham, Newcastle, Burnley etc..

It also helps that he’s a very good player...

Not very often I come on here but fuck me.

Werner been brought into it again. What has he got to do with club right now. Nothing or no one can justify his name appearing on here again. 
There’s a mention of when VVD starts to decline. He’s about to be tied down to a longer contract. 

Selling one of the front 3 in stages over the coming years. 

I hope Klopp keeps his eye on this thread each day so he knows who to sign and how much players sales can raise. Best he does this instead of finding out from the scouts and financers at the club. 

49 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

One of my Leeds supporting friends appeared to be having some form of orgasm whilst describing his performance yesterday. He’s desperate for Leeds to sign him on a permanent basis and is adamant, if Brighton sell, Ben White would choose them over us.

For this reason alone, I’m all in on Ben White. I shall take great joy in pointing out that he was sitting on our bench whilst they were shipping five at home against West Ham, Newcastle, Burnley etc..

It also helps that he’s a very good player...

He is available quite cheap, around £22m. Our scouts have watched him and said his performances have been outstanding. 

• Upvote 1

Jurgen's qoute on Sancho makes me think he could come here next summer if Sadio/Mo leave in 2021. It seemed like a quote to let him know he is on our radar and if he wants to come here, to be patient.

I actually think it is such a Jurgen/FSG move. They might even come out of it with a profit. 

If United fail to make top 4, I would make us favourites for the following summer, unless Madrid come to the party. 

9 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

If we're not gonna spend money, Cavani would make sense if he doesn't mind playing a bit part role. Still has massive workrate and goal scoring ability. A good stylistic fit as a short term rotation option and a true 9. Only problem are the injuries. 

Sarr is a bit crap. Kouassi is a fantastic young defender but he'll go to a club where he'll get playing time which is not here. 

Cavani first touch is abysmal, he would fuck up all our counter attacks.

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

If we don't sign Ben white fuck this club.

Who is he?

If we sign Ben White, we will also have to sign Ben Black. And then Ben Red. But Ben Blue can fuck off.