You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

He is the same age as Maguire who went for £80m and is on £190k per week  ie £130m over a 5 year contract.

Alaba would cost £50m over the same period .

I am not sure comparing Alaba to one of the worst bits of business in recent memory is helping.

The more I think about it, the more it seems that Alaba is exactly the sort of player who would appeal to Klopp. He has mostly played at left back for Bayern but more recently played at centre back. For Austria he usually plays in midfield. He quick, versatile and familiar with playing high-tempo football in teams that usually come up against opponents who sit deep.

Bayern have got a bit of pedigree with excellent and versatile left-sided players. Breitner, Brehme, Ziege and Ze Roberto could all do it, and guys like Lahm could play equally well on the left and right.

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

I know there are 100 reasons why it shouldn't and won't happen, but the thought of signing Koulibaly, Marone. 

What a defence that'd be. 

I’m not sure how he’d fit in the team considering we already have two world class centre backs in Van Dijk and Lovren...

• Upvote 1

Hopefully if we win the league with a few games to spare, lads like Minamino and Curtis Jones and a few more get a few games.

However, for me, Sunday showed what we all know. We need another attacker or a midfielder that can unlock a defence. 

If Phil is available for 40 odd million and is prepared to take a big wage cut, it makes sense. He knows the club and is clearly liked by the team. 

Ali's injury cost a tilt at the treble. If we lost any one of the front three for a few months (possibly 2 with African Nations) it is scary and Divock won't cut it for us.

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Problem with a front line of Jones, Minamino, Bobby, Elliot is they all lack pace and it completely fucks up the balance 

Take Firmino out of the equation there - he has his role. And we struggle just as badly to replicate that as we do the two wide players.

Definitely the other three cannot play in the same style as we do now and have shown the most when playing deeper anyway. We either need to change it up with those or add a wide player with top pace to plug in - probably doing both would be best.