You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

2 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Spot on. We’re the best team in the world and 25 points ahead of the greatest team the world has ever seen. We’ve finally got the settled squad we’ve been crying for years and we need to enjoy it. Do we really want to go back to ye olde transfer window threads wanting 10 of our duds signed in the last window out and another 10 bums in. 

Although I was disappointed not getting Werner, Id like to see us properly develop a striker and a left back from the youth set up without us pressuring them to be rushed into the team to replace absolute garbage like Balotelli, Benteke & Lambert.

Klopps not soft. He knows the score. 

Quite. I really don’t get the “FSG are penny pinchers” etc at the moment. 

Think about it logically.

Say you’ve been made redundant during COVID19 with no redundancy pay out. You’re there not receiving a wage, overtime, bonuses etc but you’ve still got to pay you’re rent / mortgage, household bills, food etc - your outgoings far outstrip you’re incomings.

You might have savings (like Chelsea appear to have) and maybe they can tie you over until you find a new job. Similarly, you might have well off parent or family member who can help (again Chelsea) to see you through.

Alternatively, you might use all your savings to cover yourself until you’re back in employment & might have a parent who can’t / isn’t prepared to help as they think you’re a big enough boy to fend for yourself (FSG). 

Obviously we’d all like to be in situation A but It’s not always possible.

Luckily, our house & car are already fucking ace so when we get a new job, so when we get a new job, it’s a case of returning to the same life style as before.

We’re far and away the best side in the league anyway & we’re fucking mentality monsters. I don’t think we’ll go stale. Klopp won’t allow it & I think the players will be even more determined to do it for the supporters next season.

Chelsea are 34 points behind us. I’m sure they’ll improve next season & maybe we’ll drop off a bit, but even so, that’s one hell of a fucking gap to overhaul.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

Quite. I really don’t get the “FSG are penny pinchers” etc at the moment. 

Think about it logically.

Say you’ve been made redundant during COVID19 with no redundancy pay out. You’re there not receiving a wage, overtime, bonuses etc but you’ve still got to pay you’re rent / mortgage, household bills, food etc - your outgoings far outstrip you’re incomings.

You might have savings (like Chelsea appear to have) and maybe they can tie you over until you find a new job. Similarly, you might have well off parent or family member who can help (again Chelsea) to see you through.

Alternatively, you might use all your savings to cover yourself until you’re back in employment & might have a parent who can’t / isn’t prepared to help as they think you’re a big enough boy to fend for yourself (FSG). 

Obviously we’d all like to be in situation A but It’s not always possible.

Luckily, our house & car are already fucking ace so when we get a new job, so when we get a new job, it’s a case of returning to the same life style as before.

We’re far and away the best side in the league anyway & we’re fucking mentality monsters. I don’t think we’ll go stale. Klopp won’t allow it & I think the players will be even more determined to do it for the supporters next season.

Chelsea are 34 points behind us. I’m sure they’ll improve next season & maybe we’ll drop off a bit, but even so, that’s one hell of a fucking gap to overhaul.

Bullseye. 

I didn’t even know the window was open until this happened with Werner. Other than Chelsea has there been any other clubs who’ve made a signing

If Werner wasn't prepared to hang on for us then he wasn't the right signing anyway. Heard other weird things about him on the mental side too. Wasn't there an article about how he gets intimidated playing in noisy stadiums? And another one about how he'd only want to move somewhere he was guaranteed first team football. What happened to backing yourself to win a place in the first team?

I don’t blame Werner. If Leipzig have asked him to do them a favour and help them out by going now and a club like Chelsea are offering you £10m a year and to be the main man instead of coming here to grab 15 minutes in the prem and CL then you’d be mental to knock that back. 

Klopp said last summer we can’t get these

kids in as they want to play. He said last week that Werner and Havertz are great players but the timing has to be right to bring them in. Why commit to £300m in deals for those 2 when we’ve already got better players in their positions. 

Let’s give hungry kids who love us like Jones and Elliott the chance. They’ve got the best manager in the world to teach them and if they work out then we’ll have 2 more great players on the books. 

9 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Bullseye. 

I didn’t even know the window was open until this happened with Werner. Other than Chelsea has there been any other clubs who’ve made a signing

It isn’t open & nothing has been officially announced. It’ll be like us and Minanino, announced outside the window & formalised once it’s open.

9 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Except we will be starting on the same points and team form can change rapidly from season to season. Man City were expected to be neck and neck with us but now we're 25 points clear. 

I think it's perfectly reasonable to be hacked off that we're not making the most of finally being top dogs again. 

Hopefully we can look back at this period in a few years and pat ourselves on the back for good financial acumen and how we've not let it affect us. But I want Klopp to get his targets and it's patently obvious Werner was one of them. 

Got to take into consideration that Werner saw a move to Bayern fall through last summer as well. 

Hes 24/25 and, frankly, he’s not going to win the league at RBL.

He’s had 2 big moves fall through and is at an age where he thinks he should be winning the big trophies.

He’s obviously not taken into account we’re going to be completely dominant over the next few seasons so he’s going to win fuck all at Chelsea as well!

24 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Except we will be starting on the same points and team form can change rapidly from season to season. Man City were expected to be neck and neck with us but now we're 25 points clear. 

I think it's perfectly reasonable to be hacked off that we're not making the most of finally being top dogs again. 

Hopefully we can look back at this period in a few years and pat ourselves on the back for good financial acumen and how we've not let it affect us. But I want Klopp to get his targets and it's patently obvious Werner was one of them. 

I get where your coming from.

If this was a normal summer & we’d already won the league, supporters were strutting about in the Nike kit and England has just embarrassed themselves in their first game of the Euro’s and we’d failed to sign a player Klopp clearly wanted only to let a player slip through our fingers like Willian or Costa, I’d be incredibly pissed off.

However, this isn’t situation we find ourselves in.

Am I disappointed we didn’t sign Werner? Absolutely. Do I understand the reasons why we haven’t signed him? Yes, unfortunately it makes sense. 

In terms of Chelsea catching us, again, I get where you’re coming from. I don’t think Chelsea’s upwards curve now is as big as ours was in 17/18. Once we signed VVD, we were virtually undefeated, battered Citeh in the CL and made the final. Things we’re obviously looking up and then we pressed on with Alisson & Fabinho etc. 

To me, Chelsea still look very inconsistent and short of the level we were at during that period

Still reeks of excuses for me.

Someone mentioned Shaqiri above, well forget him, he will be gone, along with Lallana and Lovren. Klopp doesn't fancy Wilson. Brewster isn't good enough. Gruijc will be sold. SO loads leaving there and who will replace them? I haven't even mentioned Origi yet.

Make no mistake, its the brilliance of the Klopp and his staff + Edwards thats got us this far and we never invest unless we sell.

Lets hope we don't blow the opportunity like we have done a few times in the past.

Was Schniederlin ever any use? Southampton signed him for 1.2m, Everton are selling him for 2m, in between he's had a couple of 20m+ transfers. Did Virgil ever play with him and make him look great, either that or it was Lovren. I've never looked at him and thought anything other than he's shite.

3 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Still reeks of excuses for me.

Someone mentioned Shaqiri above, well forget him, he will be gone, along with Lallana and Lovren. Klopp doesn't fancy Wilson. Brewster isn't good enough. Gruijc will be sold. SO loads leaving there and who will replace them? I haven't even mentioned Origi yet.

Make no mistake, its the brilliance of the Klopp and his staff + Edwards thats got us this far and we never invest unless we sell.

Lets hope we don't blow the opportunity like we have done a few times in the past.

Klopp didn't wake up this morning and suddenly realise half his team is over 28. A plan will be in place, maybe yehy will drop 150m on 3 players next summer, maybe they're certain that Elliott is Mo's replacement in 2 years, maybe Trent is heading for midfield in 2 years and Neco steps up, maybe they expect Hoever and Jones to become regulars.

We're not signing anyone better than any of the starting XI because they barely exist. If we're only signing back up a nd potential then there is no panic if they think these 4 lads will be better in 18 months than any potential signing. They have earned the right to proceed in that direction. 

Those 4 players have potential to be first class footballers, the management team will know with a fair degree of certainty whether they will make it or not and will plan accordingly. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, aws said:

Aren't Chelsea going to sell Kante, the only one of their players who'd have a good chance of getting in our team? 

Talk of them selling a few.

Willian & Pedro are out of contract. Sounds like they also want rid of Barkley, Alonso, Jorginho, Emerson, Zouma and a few others. 

Talk of Lampard wanting rid of Arrizabalaga as well, maybe we could sell them Karius. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Luckily they are still here and so let’s give them the benefit of the doubt as they’ve delivered above and beyond what we all expected so far. 

2 minutes ago, No2 said:

Klopp didn't wake up this morning and suddenly realise half his team is over 28. A plan will be in place, maybe yehy will drop 150m on 3 players next summer, maybe they're certain that Elliott is Mo's replacement in 2 years, maybe Trent is heading for midfield in 2 years and Neco steps up, maybe they expect Hoever and Jones to become regulars.

We're not signing anyone better than any of the starting XI because they barely exist. If we're only signing back up a nd potential then there is no panic if they think these 4 lads will be better in 18 months than any potential signing. They have earned the right to proceed in that direction. 

Those 4 players have potential to be first class footballers, the management team will know with a fair degree of certainty whether they will make it or not and will plan accordingly. 

You don't sign players because you think they can't get in the team you sign them to challenge the first 11 and to come in through long term injury. This isn't FIFA where you keep the same 11 game to game. 

We have been amazingly fortunate to get nearly three full seasons out of the front three and have no injury to VVD. In fact its a bit of a miracle. How long that will last is anyones guess.

Ian Doyle from the Echo was using the Blackburn game as a barometer about how ok we are with no transfers. I mean FFS he's advocating AOC on the flank in a meaningless friendly against third rate opposition. Has he not been watching us at all?

He also mentions Keita, who is a special talent I'm sure, but next to useless if he's always on the injury table.

If we had signed Werner the narrative would be different and they would be waxing lyrical about what a smart move we've made at a bargain price, but because we haven't we are still being smart. Always a positive from the club.

Anyway we are two wins from the title which we can hopefully box off. I still think, if and when Jurgen goes, and i pray it isn't very soon, we will be going back to the dark old days mediocrity under these guys. In fact they may sell up before Klopp leaves or just after.

1 minute ago, Doctor Troy said:

Lallana, Clyne and Chirivella will save the club 200 grand a week in wages.

Lovren - 100k

Shaqiri - 80k

Origi - 45k

Jones is Lallana’s replacement.

Williams is Clyne’s replacement (not that we’ve seen him on about 3 years anyway!).

Chirivella is obviously no loss. 

The issue with the other 3 players is if we’re wanting to sell them (which before this kerfuffle, it sounded like we did) which clubs will now pay a fee we think is acceptable or wages the players want? 

Say Roma come back in for Lovren, you can guarantee they’ll want a loan or cut price deal with us paying a % of his wages. 

In that case, are we better keeping him for an extra year as a squad player and look to offload in 2021 or just get him off the books now?

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Luckily they are still here and so let’s give them the benefit of the doubt as they’ve delivered above and beyond what we all expected so far. 

yeah but thats not really the backing of the owners is it? Thats them breaking expectations with their skill. What happens when they ant there?

If i work for a company and I'm making them successful by performing beyond expectations with minimal resources, it isn't sustainable in the long run. Its amazingly hard work and you end up getting burnt out.

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Williams is Clyne’s replacement (not that we’ve seen him on about 3 years anyway!).

The issue with the other 3 players is if we’re wanting to sell them (which before this kerfuffle, it sounded like we did) which clubs will now pay a fee we think is acceptable or wages the players want? 

Say Roma come back in for Lovren, you can guarantee they’ll want a loan or cut price deal with us paying a % of his wages. 

In that case, are we better keeping him for an extra year as a squad player and look to offload in 2021 or just get him off the books now?

Is Jones ready? Not sure. 

He needs a consistent run in the team to prove himself not 3 minute cameos and an FA Cup tie. We've also been here before with Woodburn and Wilson. I don't think its realistic.

5 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

We have been amazingly fortunate to get nearly three full seasons out of the front three and have no injury to VVD. In fact its a bit of a miracle. How long that will last is anyones guess.

What if its not a miracle? What if it brilliant planning? Recruiting players with perfect injury records, hiring the worlds best physios, nutritionists, doctors, sports scientists. Those working behind the scenes would either be offended by your thought process or they're flying in PED's and telling blue taxi drivers.

If it's all down to luck then why do some clubs constantly have terrible injury records and some don't? 

9 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Mainly talking about wages, no issue with the young lads replacing them, add Karius to that on £25/30k aswell. 

I am surprised we've never attempted to get shut of Lovren but he probably thinks he should stay on massive wages. Hoever can replace him anyway as I think he will be good and any other centre back coming in will block him.

3 minutes ago, No2 said:

What if its not a miracle? What if it brilliant planning? Recruiting players with perfect injury records, hiring the worlds best physios, nutritionists, doctors, sports scientists. Those working behind the scenes would either be offended by your thought process or they're flying in PED's and telling blue taxi drivers.

If it's all down to luck then why do some clubs constantly have terrible injury records and some don't? 

What? You PLAN for players to not get injured. Thats a new one i must admit. 

16 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Is Jones ready? Not sure. 

He needs a consistent run in the team to prove himself not 3 minute cameos and an FA Cup tie. We've also been here before with Woodburn and Wilson. I don't think its realistic.

Considering Lallana has barely featured over the last couple of seasons, I'd say Jones could step in.

For Wilson, I don't think he's a long term solution but if needs must next season, I think he could do a job.

Woodburn has never had the opportunities Jones and Wilson will get. He doesn't seem up to it.