You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

10 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I really wouldnt disagree with a word what you have said there but, I just think your previous comment about us not being able to buy is a bit, well, OTT?

I admit Im disappointed we appear to have missed out on Werner, similar to how I felt when we didnt get Pulisic. But the news arsenal were buying that defender from Atletico and someone was almost in meltdown mode saying at least arsenal are buying!

chelsea are fortunate in a way because they had the transfer ban so really couldnt spend last season. And that's if Abramovich had wanted to get his hand in his pocket. I think he's doing it now partly because they didnt lash out last season and see us become a real force.

I really cannot see lampard making chelsea into a title winning side. The glazers have just limped another 140m debt onto united. Whether than money is given to the gimp emains to beseen but again, like Lampard, I dont see him making united a title winning side.

Could mourinho turn Spurs into title challeners? Dont know, the signs dont look too good. That really leaves either city or an unknown surprise team.

A couple of 'ifs' to consider. If the transfer window is going to open later ie August or September and stay open to say November and if fans are allowed back in stadiums say from October, even with reduced capacity we may see a flurry of activity. Fingers crossed!

They bought Pulisic & Kovacic by circumventing the rules, they spent more than we did, and most other clubs. 

I see arsenal are sacking a load of European and as many as 10 youth scouts off due to "ongoing financial pressure of the pandemic that is starting to tell at the Emirates Stadium" as part of a cost cutting exercise. I guess someone has to pay for that lad from Atletico.

So it would appear we're asking our players to take deferred salary payments. The hundreds of millions profit the club has made, it's rather surprising. 

https://www-thisisanfield-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.thisisanfield.com/2020/06/jurgen-klopp-explains-why-liverpool-pulled-out-of-timo-werner-deal/amp/?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thisisanfield.com%2F2020%2F06%2Fjurgen-klopp-explains-why-liverpool-pulled-out-of-timo-werner-deal%2F

This website uses cookies. Accept PRIVACY

Jurgen Klopp explains why Liverpool pulled out of Timo Werner deal
Joanna Durkan
7 June 2020

Jurgen Klopp has detailed how requiring “salary waivers” for current players does not go hand in hand with outlaying over £50 million for a new transfer.

The Reds had long been in the running for Timo Werner, who too had expressed a desire to make the switch to Anfield before the coronavirus caused financial uncertainties to ripple through sport and various industries.

Liverpool could face losses of anywhere up to £200 million due to the pandemic, with matchday revenue taking a significant hit with fans not expected to return to stadiums in 2020.

That uncertainty has caused the Reds to reassess their business in the transfer market, one which would see a £50 million move, once considered a bargain, prove both careless and callous, especially considering discussions with current players over “salary waivers.”

In an interview with Sky Germany, the boss spoke highly of both Werner and Kai Havertz, who has remained linked with Liverpool for some time, but grounded his, and the club’s position, in the reality currently facing football clubs.

“There are a lot of good players on this planet,” Klopp told Sky Germany. “Timo Werner is a great player, Kai Havertz is a great player.

RB Leipzig striker Timo Werner notched his 25th Bundesliga goal of the season against Cologne (Ina Fassbender/AP)

“Right time, opportunity – everything has to come together. Six, seven weeks ago, we didn’t know if we could play again this year. If we hadn’t played the second half of the season, we would have thought, ‘OK, when can you really play football again?’ And now it starts right away.

“We act as if everything is already settled. It’s not settled. We use this little loophole we’ve been left to play football again. Everything else we have to see the moment it happens. We can’t pretend now that everything’s going to be fine in the future.

“There are all sorts of rumours in England about who Manchester United are going to pick, Chelsea are going to pick,” he continued.

“It’s rather quiet here [at Liverpool] at the moment, I think it’s safe to say. If you want to take it seriously and run a normal business and depend on income and have no idea how much you will earn…especially because we don’t know when we can start playing with spectators again.

“At the moment, all clubs are losing money. Without spectators, we have to pay back the season tickets and probably sell none next year.

“At least maybe without the first 10 or 15 games. The VIP areas won’t be packed and the tickets won’t be sold. This will have an impact on other partners and things will look a bit different.

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - Monday, February 24, 2020: Liverpool's manager Jürgen Klopp celebrates with Georginio Wijnaldum after the FA Premier League match between Liverpool FC and West Ham United FC at Anfield. Liverpool won 3-2. (Pic by David Rawcliffe/Propaganda)

“Discussing with the players about things like salary waivers and on the other hand buying a player for £50-60m, we have to explain.”

Amid widespread financial uncertainties, Liverpool’s stance is the right one. Justifying a considerable outlay when asking those currently on the wage bill to take a cut would prove a stretch.

And it is this very awareness which ensures the club remains both harmonious and united, as they have done since Klopp’s arrival with a wage structure designed to reward rather than to incentivise new additions.

More: Jurgen Klopp, Timo Werner

More from This Is Anfield

Jurgen Klopp explains why Liverpool pulled out of Timo Werner deal

QUIZ: 12 questions on Ian Rush – how well do you know our record goalscorer?

No new Coronavirus cases for second Premier League test in a row

Peter Beardsley: A blend of Keegan & Dalglish who left Liverpool too soon

Fan Comments
You are reading the AMP edition of this article.

To read the fan comments on this article, jump to the mobile web version, or download our app for iPhone or Android.

About    Advertising    Contact    Privacy    Terms

© Copyright This Is Anfield 2020

18 hours ago, El Dangerous said:

Whatever money we have should just be used to hoover up young talent like Elliott. Let Chelsea, City and United break the bank. We’ve got the best first 11 in the world so give Klopp the next best 11 in the world to train up over the next 5 or so years before he fucks off to do whatever he fucking wants to do.

My guess is it involves drinking beer and being awesome.

2 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

No one has a fucking clue. 

Although this might be true, if that were the answer to all posts it would be a devastating blow to football forums everywhere.

Except maybe blueshite forums.

37 minutes ago, Anubis said:

And yet in other reports were making VVD one of our highest paid players. 

Indeed, but that was the old "our new signings this summer are keeping hold of our current players" line. The article I saw suggested we were desperate to pin him and alisson to long term deals. This of course ignored they have 3 and 4 years left in their current deals. I seem to remember we used that story last year for VVD after signing nobody in the summer. 

Just now, Barry Wom said:

Indeed, but that was the old "our new signings this summer are keeping hold of our current players" line. The article I saw suggested we were desperate to pin him and alisson to long term deals. This of course ignored they gave 3 and 4 years left in their current deals. I seem to remember we used that story last year for VVD after signing nobody in the summer. 

In fact here we go from 8th September last year and nothing was ever signed.  

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/media-watch/363849-virgil-van-dijk-agrees-new-liverpool-contract

end of the day we will either be saying "wow i didn't see that signing coming " or we will be calling for FSG's head on a plate. Most ITK's know fuck all and are just getting abit of air time in these unprecedented times nobody has a clue whats going to happen other than those inside the club 

All the local hacks are acting like forelock-tugging spin doctors for the club. It's the classic 'turn a negative into a positive' sleight of hand: take the plan to bring on youth AND buy top players, turn that into an either/or policy, and then say that instead of buying top players we'll be bringing on youth. The truth is we were always going to bring on Elliott and Jones etc. There's only a negative: we can't afford, as champions, to strengthen our team via the transfer market. Decent, honest, independent hacks would be noting that rather than spinning this as some 'refreshing' move to bring on young players. It's patronising crap.