You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

15 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

One thing that does stick out is how desperate the media are to play number wang when explaining why we can’t buy players. It’s as genius on the clubs part as it is embarrassing on the media’s part.

Erm, sorry, what? 'Cant buy players'? Jesus, the club and manager have decided to pass on a player, that's all.

4 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

They're all mouthpieces who if they don't do as they're told have their access taken away. There's been no credible football journalism for years - there was a time you'd only trust the echo and you can't even trust them any more. Dave maddock is a lovely fella, but I wouldn't believe a word he says about LFC. 

In fact it's not just football, look at the job kuebssberg dies for Johnson and Cummings. It's exactly the same, just repeating verbatim what they've been told, as if they don't next time they don't get told and it will go to someone else.

I seem to remember we had a similar conversation last summer. You were upset we hadn’t signed anybody and I was generally Ok with it? 

Anyways... without sounding patronising, I respect you as a poster Barry because, unlike some posters I can mention, you can articulate your points properly. 

I’m obviously a glass always half full kinda guy and I get the impression you’re not the same. 

I do feel over the past couple of weeks you would argue black is white with me. Maybe you’d thing the same of me, I dunno. 

I can assure you I have zero animosity in my posts towards you & I come across like I do, I apologise. 

However, and although I don’t think we should put each other on ignore, I do think we should just realise we’re just different people with different mindsets / outlooks and just let leave it at that. 

8 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Erm, sorry, what? 'Cant buy players'? Jesus, the club and manager have decided to pass on a player, that's all.

If you don’t think this summer will be much of the same as last summer then more power to you but the noise coming from the usual outlets is that we’re in for a quiet one. At the end of the day we’re run as an extremely efficient money making business. I completely understand the tightening of purse strings from that perspective and I’d never swap our model For City’s or Chelsea’s but the footy fan in me say’s balls to it find a way to strengthen before we fall behind.

Just so happens I reckon we’re far enough ahead of everyone bar City that another quiet one won’t be the end of the world.

28 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Personally if you offered me Werner or the AFCON being fucked off next January then I'd take the latter every single time. 

But that's just delaying something that will fuck us over another time. It's short term thinking, especially if our transfer policy doesn't account for it

34 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I seem to remember we had a similar conversation last summer. You were upset we hadn’t signed anybody and I was generally Ok with it? 

Anyways... without sounding patronising, I respect you as a poster Barry because, unlike some posters I can mention, you can articulate your points properly. 

I’m obviously a glass always half full kinda guy and I get the impression you’re not the same. 

I do feel over the past couple of weeks you would argue black is white with me. Maybe you’d thing the same of me, I dunno. 

I can assure you I have zero animosity in my posts towards you & I come across like I do, I apologise. 

However, and although I don’t think we should put each other on ignore, I do think we should just realise we’re just different people with different mindsets / outlooks and just let leave it at that. 

Well I would say not buying last summer meant we had no desire to compete in either domestic cup competitions. 

As for all this disagreeing with each other, it's a forum and it would be a dull place if we all just agred. I just think we have owners who have zero sporting interest in our club. We're just a vehicle to increase their wealth. So when we make financially cautious decisions at every turn, I get frustrated with it - they can blame covid all they like, but it was the same last summer and the summer before we just spent the coutinho money. Luckily we have klopp. But the way they run the club completely relies on having a world top 3 manager. And that relies on 2 things. 1. the ability to get that right when you're hiring and 2. finding one who's prepared to do that with less money than all his competitors. I think that's a tough ask, so my assumption is once klopps gone this is all over and we're making it as hard as we can for klopp now. 

• Upvote 4

Pushing back the ACON is really going to fuck up the football calendar. With that in Jan 2022 and the world cup Slap bang in the middle of the next season. Going to lose players for 4 weeks, the season will likely need finished early so the next can be started early to make up time. 

FIFA fucking everything up for sone backhanders

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

Pushing back the ACON is really going to fuck up the football calendar. With that in Jan 2022 and the world cup Slap bang in the middle of the next season. Going to lose players for 4 weeks, the season will likely need finished early so the next can be started early to make up time. 

FIFA fucking everything up for sone backhanders

I would not be at all surprised if that world cup is jibbed.

3 hours ago, El Dangerous said:

If you don’t think this summer will be much of the same as last summer then more power to you but the noise coming from the usual outlets is that we’re in for a quiet one. At the end of the day we’re run as an extremely efficient money making business. I completely understand the tightening of purse strings from that perspective and I’d never swap our model For City’s or Chelsea’s but the footy fan in me say’s balls to it find a way to strengthen before we fall behind.

Just so happens I reckon we’re far enough ahead of everyone bar City that another quiet one won’t be the end of the world.

I really wouldnt disagree with a word what you have said there but, I just think your previous comment about us not being able to buy is a bit, well, OTT?

I admit Im disappointed we appear to have missed out on Werner, similar to how I felt when we didnt get Pulisic. But the news arsenal were buying that defender from Atletico and someone was almost in meltdown mode saying at least arsenal are buying!

chelsea are fortunate in a way because they had the transfer ban so really couldnt spend last season. And that's if Abramovich had wanted to get his hand in his pocket. I think he's doing it now partly because they didnt lash out last season and see us become a real force.

I really cannot see lampard making chelsea into a title winning side. The glazers have just limped another 140m debt onto united. Whether than money is given to the gimp emains to beseen but again, like Lampard, I dont see him making united a title winning side.

Could mourinho turn Spurs into title challeners? Dont know, the signs dont look too good. That really leaves either city or an unknown surprise team.

A couple of 'ifs' to consider. If the transfer window is going to open later ie August or September and stay open to say November and if fans are allowed back in stadiums say from October, even with reduced capacity we may see a flurry of activity. Fingers crossed!

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

The season before we sold Coutinho we made a £20m profit in the summer transfer window.

Can remember Phil Thompson on Soccer Saturday saying  "a club like Liverpool should never see making a profit in the transfer window a success"

Yeah but when did FSG, Edwardes or Jurgen go 'Yay! We won the transfer window profit championship'? There's a difference actually coming out of a window with a profit and deliberately setting your aim to be ending the window with one.

7 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Hahahaha

5 hours ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

I would not be at all surprised if that world cup is jibbed.

This makes sense.

I'm sure an organisation like FIFA will see the value in waving goodbye to over a billion quid so that the AFCON and a few leagues can have plenty of time to finish their seasons without having to overwork the players.

After all, for FIFA, it's really always been about player welfare over money.

• Upvote 2