You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

28 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

What did he say? I've the kids all day and don't have the time, or will to listen to it. 

He said massive wage increases for the retention of star players we would have lost even 3 years ago don’t count as money spent, revenues aren’t going to be down catastrophically as a result of Covid, Russian oligarchs are a perfect comparison for the sort of ownership model we have and Henry, his wife and Werner (Tom, not the gold-digging quiff-on-legs at Chelsea) recently booked seats on Elon Musk’s MARS migration programme, while laughing about them being paid for by stupid LFC fans.

• Upvote 1

Nothing particularly interesting in the video.

He says we stand to lose between 79 - 200 million due to Covid. We will have already budgeted for that money. Most clubs end up breaking even each year, so that is likely to turn into loss of similar amounts.

All teams will have similar hit.

Chelsea had 50 million in their pocket from Moratta. They know in a normal market that they wouldnt stand a chance of getting him, so, even though he is now relatively expensive, decided to buy him.

33 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I can't be bothered with that. If you need Dave maddock's opinion to make you feel better, you're in trouble. 

I’ll stick to reliable LFC sources who are all using the same explainable narrative.

How you want to come to your own conclusions is completely up to you.

22 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

What did he say? I've the kids all day and don't have the time, or will to listen to it. 

19 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Not listened either but assume he mentioned the wages and the agent fee involved

Morata moved from Chelsea to Atletico last season with a fee of £58m due to start being paid this summer. So while all other clubs are wetting the bed because the release fee for Werner was too high, Chelsea have a bit of cash due this summer which they can pass on to RB Leipzig for Werner. No other clubs were willing to pay the release clause so Chelsea took advantage of that by matching it. Wages covered by the moves of Willian and Pedro.

Abramovich has according to that video stopped bankrolling chelsea and they are largely self-sufficient. If that is the case, it's unlikely (reading between the lines as it's not mentioned at all on that video) that a move for Chilwell is unlikely unless they sell another player this summer.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Disagree -- he expects them to be able to win every game they play -- he has said as much.

Point being, the expectations are never lowered internally regardless of money spent.

We'll have to disagree. While I don't think he sends them out to lose, he's not stupid enough to expect us to win every game. 

32 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I’ll stick to reliable LFC sources who are all using the same explainable narrative.

How you want to come to your own conclusions is completely up to you.

They're all mouthpieces who if they don't do as they're told have their access taken away. There's been no credible football journalism for years - there was a time you'd only trust the echo and you can't even trust them any more. Dave maddock is a lovely fella, but I wouldn't believe a word he says about LFC. 

In fact it's not just football, look at the job kuebssberg dies for Johnson and Cummings. It's exactly the same, just repeating verbatim what they've been told, as if they don't next time they don't get told and it will go to someone else.

• Upvote 1

The narrative across the media on this Werner transfer is pretty varied. Aparrently his buy out clause was 'only' £49m when the hack wants to make out chelsea havent paid a lot. Then some hacks say the clause was £53m that Liverpool 'couldnt afford.'

He's bagged a £200 grand a week wedge from chelsea whereas we only offered £140 grand or as much as £240 grand a week depending who you read. And the latest is chelsea will now look to move on 7 first team squad players to free up money for Werner, according to the daily manc so not from a Liverpool loving hack.

And still no noise that anything has been agreed with Leipzig.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Why would you take any notice of them fan sites. On the whole for all clubs just a bunch of muppets that try and put a shiny coat on everything for a bit of access or full of wankers trying to be Internet celebs like the arsenal one

Beat me to it. Those, Anfield Wrap, The Echo lads, Pearce, Reddy, they all tow the party line, especially the glorified fan stuff. The Anfield Wrap don't get their klopp exclusive if they speak out against the Clubs decision making.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

The narrative across the media on this Werner transfer is pretty varied. Aparrently his buy out clause was 'only' £49m when the hack wants to make out chelsea havent paid a lot. Then some hacks say the clause was £53m that Liverpool 'couldnt afford.'

He's bagged a £200 grand a week wedge from chelsea whereas we only offered £140 grand or as much as £240 grand a week depending who you read. And the latest is chelsea will now look to move on 7 first team squad players to free up money for Werner, according to the daily manc so not from a Liverpool loving hack.

And still no noise that anything has been agreed with Leipzig.

Chelsea can afford him now because they have had some significant player sales in the past year and haven't spent. It's pretty much that simple. 

Whatever money we have should just be used to hoover up young talent like Elliott. Let Chelsea, City and United break the bank. We’ve got the best first 11 in the world so give Klopp the next best 11 in the world to train up over the next 5 or so years before he fucks off to do whatever he fucking wants to do.

Given much of the same media saying Werner would only come to us are now pushing the couldn’t afford him line, I wonder if we thought we had him tied up personally so tried to leverage that against RBL, only to come unstuck.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Given much of the same media saying Werner would only come to us are now pushing the couldn’t afford him line, I wonder if we thought we had him tied up personally so tried to leverage that against RBL, only to come unstuck.

i think you have hit the nail on the head mate. Im not buying into this we can't afford him we have hardly spent since VVD and Allison