You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Werner might have been willing to wait but if RBL tell him they need the money and then another top side in the Champions League comes in & offers you triple the wages he’s on now (and I’d assume more than we were offering him) and a certain starting place (again what we couldn’t offer him), then maybe he’s had to re-think his options.

Either way, I’m not going to concern myself with it any further. Given how good things have been for us the last 2 seasons & that we’ve overcome obstacles like this under Klopp and come out the other side for the better, I’m not going to get my knickers in a twist over it. I’d have liked him but I won’t lose any sleep. 

So you're now agreeing with me? Werner wasn't prepared to wait 12 months, he wanted his move now?

5 hours ago, Scott_M said:

RBL are the top spenders in Germany in recent season, they are guaranteed CL next season and have nowhere the income of Bayern. It’s not beyond the realms of impossibility they need the money. 

As I’ve previously put, nobody knows how much COVID19 is effecting the club. Common sense would tell you if your outgoings remain the same & your income is significantly reduced the your disposable income is also significantly reduced.

The dweeb at the mancs, Mourinho and a few others have all commented recently clubs will have a lot less money on transfers in the next couple of windows. If mid-table teams go on a huge summer spending spree’s, I’d suggest you’re right. If the story plays out like the narrative being set, then I’d suggest not. 

Only time will tell. 

Repped for dweeb, an insult not used enough.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Anyone know where Klopp has lied to the fans yet? 

Yes. Almost every summer he's having to come out with stuff that he doesn't believe himself in order to explain the lack of activity. Last summer's was that Brewster is ready for the 1st team when clearly he knew that wasn't the case. 

50 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

So you're now agreeing with me? Werner wasn't prepared to wait 12 months, he wanted his move now?

The Athletic article basically says he wasn't prepared to wait once RBL said they needed the money and Chelsea threw a massive wedge at him. 

Obviously none of us know Timo Werner, so we can accept we'll either never know his true intentions, accepted the journalists explanation or draw our own conclusions.

I've chosen my conclusion, you've chosen yours. Agree to disagree.

5 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Er what? Sky tv and other broadcaster's money makes up something like 45% of the club's income. In our CL winning years, tv income was worth £250m to the club.

He said sky was losing customers and that would impact our earnings, i was only pointing out that the sky money is nothing compared to the tv deals made outside of the UK.

3 minutes ago, ManéMan said:

Yes. Almost every summer he's having to come out with stuff that he doesn't believe himself in order to explain the lack of activity. Last summer's was that Brewster is ready for the 1st team when clearly he knew that wasn't the case. 

Did Jurgen say that or was that not all the usual journos who've been on fsg payroll from day one. 

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I'm not necessarily arsed about losing out on any specific player, but I look at it this way. Next season we will be without Lallana and probably Shaqiri, and by all accounts not making any first team signings. Our squad wasn't big enough to compete on all fronts this season, to the extent that we essentially wrote off the domestic cups (again), and next season it will be thinner still. It makes me wonder how much thinner the squad can get before results in the two competitions we actually make an effort in begin to suffer too. I don't think that's especially hysterical but opinions may differ.

The stories are already coming out that we won't be making any major signings this summer. 

From the owners perspective we have won the Champions League and are about to win The Premier League. All the clubs around us have potential problems, so they probably think whatever happens next year we will still be in the the top four, so they have decided that this deal isn't worth it. Also I think they were relying on Werner only wanting to come to us, so probably thought they could haggle over the price rather than pay the release clause. 

On the face of it, paying a £50 million transfer fee and £50/60 million in wages on a player that wouldn't be first choice is a bit excessive. I felt Werner would eventually force his way in to the starting line up though and possibly lead to the sale of Salah/Mane in 12 months. 

1 minute ago, Doctor Troy said:

Breaking: Thomas Partey has agreed personal terms with Arsenal. Arsenal are now negotiating with Atletico Madrid over a deal. #AFC

That's a cracking signing.   We can stop pretending we can't afford anyone if fucking arsenal are able to sign a world class midfielder. 

17 minutes ago, The Guest said:

It seems odd that Chelsea haven’t confirmed the signing yet.  RB playing hardball in wanting the free up front could mean this has legs.

I think it's pretty obvious we arent buying Werner. Judging by the desparate noises Werner has been making for the last month or so, it appears our or rather Jurgen's interest cooled at least 8 weeks ago.

People are getting out of their tree at news Werner has seemingly agreed to join chelsea that being the case. We know Leipzig drive a hard bargain, you only need look at our deal for Keita. Im pretty certain Leipzig will do the same with this deal.

6 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Not spending again won’t wash I’m afraid. 

To be fair people were saying that last year.  Some cunt was saying we might finish 8th at the start of the season.  We will probably get by it’s more the accumulation of no additions year on year in a few years.