You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

Would this transfer have happened now if the season had continued in the normal way? I think a better way of asking is: has the transfer window opened under normal circumstances? If RBL are after the money now, surely that means a pay now get the player later deal has been done under these current circumstances. Imagine if Werner gets a serious injury while he is completing the season in Germany? It may just have been too big a risk to spend money on a player who may not even be guaranteed to be available at the beginning of next season.

Just theories rather than opinions.

1 minute ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

Would this transfer have happened now if the season had continued in the normal way? I think a better way of asking is: has the transfer window opened under normal circumstances? If RBL are after the money now, surely that means a pay now get the player later deal has been done under these current circumstances. Imagine if Werner gets a serious injury while he is completing the season in Germany? It may just have been too big a risk to spend money on a player who may not even be guaranteed to be available at the beginning of next season.

Just theories rather than opinions.

I think the point is, time and time again these scenarios happen under these owners, its been consistent. The only time it hasn't been consistent is with the sale of a massive asset.

So even though, a few years back you could kind of understand us keeping our powder dry when we were in the commercial building phase and finishing 2-6, these days due to the ongoing success and commercial benefits we don't expect the same situation, but we are still getting it, excuse after excuse is offered, followed by the circling of the wagons with the LFC press, followed by tales of extended contracts.

It would be nice, just once for us to push the boat out a little and build whilst we sit at the top of the tree. It might not last, and if its 90% due to Jurgen and his amazing man management skills, we won't have it for much longer.

6 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I think the point is, time and time again these scenarios happen under these owners, its been consistent. The only time it hasn't been consistent is with the sale of a massive asset.

So even though, a few years back you could kind of understand us keeping our powder dry when we were in the commercial building phase and finishing 2-6, these days due to the ongoing success and commercial benefits we don't expect the same situation, but we are still getting it, excuse after excuse is offered, followed by the circling of the wagons with the LFC press, followed by tales of extended contracts.

It would be nice, just once for us to push the boat out a little and build whilst we sit at the top of the tree. It might not last, and if its 90% due to Jurgen and his amazing man management skills, we won't have it for much longer.

Surely if it's 90% due to Klopp and not the players, if we buy expensive players and then Klopp leaves we'll be left with expensively assembled players without the coach. If we sign cheaper, younger players we may still get the same benefits with Klopp in charge without the financial risks if/when Klopp leaves?

13 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

But don't you think it is reasonable to expect them to put some of their own money into the club at some point over the decade that they have owned us?.

I don't see why Liverpool, one of the biggest clubs in the world are the only club that should operate this way. Even mid table Premier league clubs not owned by oligarchs have money put into them by their owners. They always look for reasons never to spend money, their net spend is probably not that much different to David Moores.

I don't think they are terrible owners like Mike Ashley or the Glazers but they get a free pass for buying us off the two cowboys and the genius of Klopp getting us to where we are. 

They have when they bought the club and nursed it back to a state of good financial footing. They continue to grow the club. Point that out and people go 'oh yeah but it's not their money!' So what, so long as it isnt debt on the club, what's the issue apart from people's opinion?

What people overlook is when owners put money into a club they want something in return. That's either the money back with interest or a more hands on running the gaff. The club is pretty much run autonomously away from FSG. Edwardes runs the off field side, Jurgen the on field side. It's as close to Shankly's 'directors are just there to sign cheques' as you'd get today.

Personally, I dont want Liverpool FC run like the circus of Real Madrid, Mansour who's out buying what, his tenth club now or Abramovich at chelsea where he's effectively fucked them off since Mansour userped his spending power and for whatever reason now, has splashed some money on them.

If Liverpool are one of the biggest clubs in the World, why do we need owners handouts?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bad Red Bull said:

If we didn't sign Werner for 50million, how are we gonna afford Havertz or Sancho who are gonna cost almost double?

I think we pulled out off the Werner deal because of Ousmane Dembele's probable availability. Klopp likes him and said in the recent past he would be interested if Dembele was on the market. Well, he is now and I think between Werner and Dembele, the latter is cheaper. Whether he's the right signing, I'll leave that to Klopp but if it was me, I would choose Dembele because he can play on the right or left this proving to be much better cover for Salah/ Mane. Werner plays either on the left or middle but we already have Takumi and Origi for that. So I guess the club looked at what we absolutely needed and Timo is more of a want than a need with his skillsets right now. 

How do you really know we didn't sign him because of money? We have pulled out of so many deals under klopp, same thing happened with Fekir. Where's he now?

Nobody 100% knows what the fuck is going on. The whole world has been shut down for 3 months and all the information you have is from journalists who have been at home like the rest of us. Don't lose your shit over this because Klopp is the one who makes these players better, not the other way around.

We, like every other club, are bleeding millions every week with no income coming in. The shops are fucking closed, the stadium is fucking closed and revenue is probably non existent right now. It might be next season too. So maybe, like every other business owner in the world they are being cautious. It's just the way it is right now.

I didn't want Werner, i just don't see what other's see in him. Fairly quick but no skills, not that tall and hardly powerful. He struggles against a low block as was seen in the last world cup. Other's may disagree, fine. Sancho is the player we should get. Quicker, more skillful, already knows English football and Klopp would turn him into an absolute star over the next 5 years. Our style/attack NEEDS players to be able to dribble and beat a man with skill AND pace. I don't see that with Werner but with Sancho its obvious. 

Yes i really think we need to sign one more star attacker and will be gutted if we don't but i won't lose my shit because i own a business myself and i could be up shit creek soon too. The next year is really hard to judge for anybody who owns a business. Just take a breath, if Klopp really wanted him, we would have got him. Stop letting the media, who have had no stories to print for 3 months, fuel your every thought. It's almost always bullshit anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

Surely if it's 90% due to Klopp and not the players, if we buy expensive players and then Klopp leaves we'll be left with expensively assembled players without the coach. If we sign cheaper, younger players we may still get the same benefits with Klopp in charge without the financial risks if/when Klopp leaves?

Its Jurgen who elevates the players mate. I couldn't see for example, Gerrard inspiring the likes of Gini, Robertson, Gomez etc the way he does. Theres something special about his personality that many managers lack.

he's the reason we can buy relegated flops and turn them into winners. So yeah 90% on his shoulders. He's shaped the culture of the Club almost on his own.

20 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

How do you really know we didn't sign him because of money? We have pulled out of so many deals under klopp, same thing happened with Fekir. Where's he now?

Nobody 100% knows what the fuck is going on. The whole world has been shut down for 3 months and all the information you have is from journalists who have been at home like the rest of us. Don't lose your shit over this because Klopp is the one who makes these players better, not the other way around.

Stop letting the media, who have had no stories to print for 3 months, fuel your every thought. 

Did you quote the wrong msg mate? Am not definitely losing my shit over this. I actually agree to all the points in your post above

Never seen him play so not arsed.

European, world and premier champions (elect) tells me the owners are doing something right and I was one who wanted them out when the game plan was, buy young and cheap talent and sell on at a profit. We all knew that will never win you major trophies and FSG saw the light.

Expecting a major signing, if Klopp had really wanted Werner he would have got him.

I haven't seen the club better run for years.

This lack of football is doing my head in.

I am immensely proud of our club and all it has achieved recently (and over the years) but fuck me if I don't find myself  looking at this thread every time hoping we have signed Mbappe, Werner , Havertz , Sancho and just about every fucker who has kicked a ball well over the last years. What a cunt!

Can we please just win the league so I can get back to not giving a fuck because we have the best manager in the world and I trust his judgement.

From recent evidence I dont think we will be doing significant business in the next window. I can understand it from a business perspective,  but it is also true that football moves very quickly and you cant stand still for too long. If it were me I would have more or less paid for Werner by selling Shaq and Divock. My main worry is that I would not expect great odds on all three of the front guys not getting any significant injuries for a third season running , and even if they did there would be plenty of opportunities for Timo to bed in.

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

RBL are the top spenders in Germany in recent season, they are guaranteed CL next season and have nowhere the income of Bayern. It’s not beyond the realms of impossibility they need the money. 

As I’ve previously put, nobody knows how much COVID19 is effecting the club. Common sense would tell you if your outgoings remain the same & your income is significantly reduced the your disposable income is also significantly reduced.

The dweeb at the mancs, Mourinho and a few others have all commented recently clubs will have a lot less money on transfers in the next couple of windows. If mid-table teams go on a huge summer spending spree’s, I’d suggest you’re right. If the story plays out like the narrative being set, then I’d suggest not. 

Only time will tell. 

I never said RBL didn't need the money. I just said it's not their choice. If Werner was willing to wait as the article would suggest, RBL have to suck it up - they can't force him to go anywhere he doesn't want to go. Or they sell him for a lower price to a club he wants to go to. But instead, Werner is not happy to wait a year at all. He wants to move now and we're not prepared to cough up. It's just spin. 

7 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

So Chelsea are rumoured to be paying werner 12 million a year. 

Can someone explain how on earth a team that can barely fill a 30,000 stadium can afford that by the way? 

I reckon the £150m+ they trouser in TV rights every year probably helps, like.

8 minutes ago, sir roger said:

From recent evidence I dont think we will be doing significant business in the next window. I can understand it from a business perspective,  but it is also true that football moves very quickly and you cant stand still for too long. If it were me I would have more or less paid for Werner by selling Shaq and Divock. My main worry is that I would not expect great odds on all three of the front guys not getting any significant injuries for a third season running , and even if they did there would be plenty of opportunities for Timo to bed in.

I agree.

I think it's a bit of an alarm bell about our finances with the virus crisis hitting. The need to get a bit younger up front is evident to all, and one would have thought that even with the coronavirus affecting things, £50m for one of the best young strikers in the world who's desperate to come here was a no-brainer.

If it is finances that scuppered the move, and I see no evidence that it's anything else, it's a big concern. We should have had plenty of money in the bank after last summer's frugality to weather a downturn and still buy players for that amount.

It's hardly reason to storm Anfield with pitchforks and demand FSG OUT!, of course. We still have the best team in the world and almost everyone is under contract for the long-term and is young enough to play at or near their peaks for a couple more seasons, but it's still a concern.

4 minutes ago, ManéMan said:

Just realised we still have Brewster. He was meant to be ready last summer so should definitely be this time round.

It's shameful that FSGs penny pinching forces even Klopp to lie to appease the fans.

Has Klopp lied? 

I'm not necessarily arsed about losing out on any specific player, but I look at it this way. Next season we will be without Lallana and probably Shaqiri, and by all accounts not making any first team signings. Our squad wasn't big enough to compete on all fronts this season, to the extent that we essentially wrote off the domestic cups (again), and next season it will be thinner still. It makes me wonder how much thinner the squad can get before results in the two competitions we actually make an effort in begin to suffer too. I don't think that's especially hysterical but opinions may differ.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3