You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

I think a lot of people are underestimating the cost of us being successful in terms of payout to the players and their agents. We've nearly doubled our wage bill over the last few years, and I believe only the Manc clubs pay as much as/more than us at the moment.

If we want to keep the likes of Mane, Salah, Firmino, VVD, we will have to pay them close to the amount they would have gotten at Barca, Real, City etc. In doing so, we will attract new players, but we won't pay them as much as our stars until they have proven it on the field. I can see a lot of players interested in moving to us in the coming years, only to be knocked back when they understand they have to deliver first and be paid later. I think it's a sound strategy, and will help us avoid transfer disasters from previous years. 

There's a reason why rumours around our top players have died down lately, and it ain't all about sporting success and the relationship the players have with Klopp. There simply isn't as much of an incentive for the agents to start stirring shit when our players are paid according to their stature. 

In the case of Werner, I've the same impression as Dave U (and Hamann), he lacks the skills needed to play to the level of our front three. He might be an upgrade on Origi, but we're not going to be paying the sums mentioned for a squad player. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

Which of our best players have we not already secured? 

Over previous years, we have lost a number of players on free transfers. Luckily we seem to have turned the corner there.

Most are now secured, with the possible exception of

giphy.gif

from reading various reports this morning  its 53m to Leipzig upto 12m a year in wages and addons and his agent wants nearly 30m .....yeah fuck that!! if true greedy twat. To be honest i think he will struggle against defences over here 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I get where your coming from. With my glass permanently half full specs on, we have Elliot & Jones coming through the ranks, Miramino will have settled more, Ox & Origi can fill a role & if Shaq stays / ever gets himself fit, then we have ample cover.

I am slightly disappointed with Werner but I’m not gonna throw a hissy fit about it. We’ve lost out on other players Klopp courted (Gotze, Dahoud, Brandt etc) and we’ve always come out of it the better.

Maybe we won’t this time, but I’m prepared to give the club the benefit of the doubt.

Also, we don’t know what our plans are this summer. Maybe we’ll get Willian on a free? Certainly an upgrade there. But even if we don’t, I think we can cope.

If the AFCON isn’t moved, I’ll be significantly more concerned. By all accounts there are a number of qualifiers left so it’s likely to be moved back a year.

Even in terms of squad players Shaq and even Origi currently way ahead of the others you mention. So I suppose boiled down to do we want to replace these two with Werner ? On a footballing side you would say a nice to have yes on the financial side a definite no. So in this instance finance department holds sway. We are looking at a pre covid price and wages for a player who would not be first choice. He will do well in PL he is above average although not elite yet. 

So let me get this straight..according to The Athletic, Klopp has been speaking to Werner for months and both had agreed Liverpool was the right move, but Liverpool wanted him to wait so they didn't activate his release clause, but with Leipzig wanting the money, Chelsea activated it and Werner who wanted our move phoned Klopp to ask him what the situation was and Klopp apparently spoke to FSG and was told we can't afford him and had to go back to Werner with the news.

If that is true that in unfuckingbelievable even by FSG standards. We are a two and a half billion pound football club which has been hovering up cash left right and centre and who has made no big transfers in two years.

8 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

So let me get this straight..according to The Athletic, Klopp has been speaking to Werner for months and both had agreed Liverpool was the right move, but Liverpool wanted him to wait so they didn't activate his release clause, but with Leipzig wanting the money, Chelsea activated it and Werner who wanted our move phoned Klopp to ask him what the situation was and Klopp apparently spoke to FSG and was told we can't afford him and had to go back to Werner with the news.

That is my understanding of it as well.

But none of us know how much the club has been impacted by COVID19. 

Thinking out loud, £42m profit last season, we’re losing £3m per match day (so £12m in refunds plus zero guarantee of future revenues), we’re losing £15m or so back to Sky, we bought Miramino for £8m & we won’t get as much CL money this year. That’s at least £35m gone already. 

I might be well out with all of that but if any of it is close to accurate, I can see why we wouldn’t pay £53m on a player who isn’t a guaranteed starter.

1 hour ago, Funkasy said:

Sky only pay about 5 % of the combined tv money to the clubs. So why would that fuck our econemy.

I mentioned only Sky and BT but my thought process included every business that contributes to the TV payment. Some of those have to be at risk, as do some of our sponsors and even football clubs that owe us instalments for players. Siding on the side of caution in these circumstances is perfectly fair. The fact Klopp was talking to him as late as last month suggests we could have paid the money but the overall evaluation concluded we like him a lot but don't need him given the uncertainty in the game.

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

That is my understanding of it as well.

But none of us know how much the club has been impacted by COVID19. 

Thinking out loud, £42m profit last season, we’re losing £3m per match day (so £12m in refunds plus zero guarantee of future revenues), we’re losing £15m or so back to Sky, we bought Miramino for £8m & we won’t get as much CL money this year. That’s at least £35m gone already. 

I might be well out with all of that but if any of it is close to accurate, I can see why we wouldn’t pay £53m on a player who isn’t a guaranteed starter.

Mate, why is it we always think that the front three are indestructible? Even the club think that way. 

2 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Mate, why is it we always think that the front three are indestructible? Even the club think that way. 

I agree we should have better back up but it’s fair to say we’ve done pretty well so far with what we have. 

If the AFCON doesn’t go ahead, IMO, we have sufficient cover.

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

I agree we should have better back up but it’s fair to say we’ve done pretty well so far with what we have. 

If the AFCON doesn’t go ahead, IMO, we have sufficient cover.

I think we've been very fortunate. You only need to look at the keeper situation to see how quickly it can all go tits up without adequate cover.

2 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I think we've been very fortunate. You only need to look at the keeper situation to see how quickly it can all go tits up without adequate cover.

Alternatively, when players have been injured or rested (and although not for a substantial period, it has happened), we’ve coped.

27 wins from 29 games doesn’t happen with just 11 players.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

The Athletic article today makes it sounds like Werner was prepared to wait for us but RBL told him they needed the money.

The mancs wanted him & he spoke to Solskjaer but was told they’d only move if they sold Pogba. 

Although I’m disappointed by it, none of us know the financial implications of COVID19 and how it’ll impact the clubs and transfers. 

If the mancs couldn’t afford him and RBL needed to sell him, I’m not surprised that we maybe backed out. 

Shit happens.

If the African tournemant is moved, I’m significantly less concerned.

That just sounds like the normal shite from the propaganda merchants that call themselves reporters. Just think it through. We want to wait. Werner is willing to wait. RBL say "do it now". Except Warner has another release clause next year cheaper than this year. RBL can't force him to move, he's a footballer not a slave. It's just shite. We just don't want to pay the money and don't want to admit that because another English club can do it when a top player is ready to move. We never buy unless we sell, I don't know why anyone is shocked. It's not covid or anything, it's just how we do business and no different to the likes of when we lost Salah to Chelsea.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

That just sounds like the normal shite from the propaganda merchants that call themselves reporters. Just think it through. We want to wait. Werner is willing to wait. RBL say "do it now". Except Warner has another release clause next year cheaper than this year. RBL can't force him to move, he's a footballer not a slave. It's just shite. We just don't want to pay the money and don't want to admit that because another English club can do it when a top player is ready to move. We never buy unless we sell, I don't know why anyone is shocked. It's not covid or anything, it's just how we do business and no different to the likes of when we lost Salah to Chelsea.

I agree. I think the plan next summer would have been Werner for one of the front three going out.

I'd be happy with Romero from United as back up to Ali this summer. A decent number 2 would be a big addition to the squad and he is very good. At least someone of his ilk. I hate picking on players and Adrian seems like a good lad but if we had Romero in goal for the Chelsea FA cup game and the Athletico game, I think we would be still on for the treble.

Scary if we don't have the money to cover Werner. My feeling is the club has a big stash of money, but is cautious about the current situation. I do get that, but we need to be building another great team with young lads coming in to the team slowly getting experience. Not many players currently improve our starting line up and Werner as good as he is right now is an example of that. Different story in 1-2 years though. To be fair, we have some really top lads like Jones and Elliot, but unfair to think they can step up next season. Hopefully, they get minutes when we wrap up the title with Minamino to prepare them for next season, because they may be needed more than I would like.

My hope is that the club have another option and are holding their powder dry on someone like Havertz or Sancho. I have this feeling we could sign Sancho, but the deal will be funded by selling Sadio or Mo. Rightly or wrongly that is how the club are run. 

I do predict that they will build the annie road expansion in the next few years. We will be a top team regardless of their spending for a number of years, but I think they will never spend big on a regular basis. With Newcastle possibly becoming one of the wealthiest clubs in the world, I see them selling us for a gigantic profit in 3-4 years.

15 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

That just sounds like the normal shite from the propaganda merchants that call themselves reporters. Just think it through. We want to wait. Werner is willing to wait. RBL say "do it now". Except Warner has another release clause next year cheaper than this year. RBL can't force him to move, he's a footballer not a slave.

RBL are the top spenders in Germany in recent season, they are guaranteed CL next season and have nowhere the income of Bayern. It’s not beyond the realms of impossibility they need the money. 

As I’ve previously put, nobody knows how much COVID19 is effecting the club. Common sense would tell you if your outgoings remain the same & your income is significantly reduced the your disposable income is also significantly reduced.

The dweeb at the mancs, Mourinho and a few others have all commented recently clubs will have a lot less money on transfers in the next couple of windows. If mid-table teams go on a huge summer spending spree’s, I’d suggest you’re right. If the story plays out like the narrative being set, then I’d suggest not. 

Only time will tell. 

• Upvote 1

The reaction of some on here to the unconfirmed news that Wener is going to Chelsea is embarrassing. The foot stamping bitchiness, accompanied with forecasts of the apocalyptic destruction of the whole Liverpool empire, is vomit inducing in its spoiled brattishness. Truly embarrassing. 

By the way, our season resumes on the 21st. Anyone interested? 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

RBL are the top spenders in Germany in recent season, they are guaranteed CL next season and have nowhere the income of Bayern. It’s not beyond the realms of impossibility they need the money. 

As I’ve previously put, nobody knows how much COVID19 is effecting the club. Common sense would tell you if your outgoings remain the same & your income is significantly reduced the your disposable income is also significantly reduced.

The dweeb at the mancs, Mourinho and a few others have all commented recently clubs will have a lot less money on transfers in the next couple of windows. If mid-table teams go on a huge summer spending spree’s, I’d suggest you’re right. If the story plays out like the narrative being set, then I’d suggest not. 

Only time will tell. 

I think the point is that they may need the money but that has no impact on Werner.  He could easily turn around and say I’m not going anywhere unless it’s Liverpool.  If you need money then you’re going to have to accept whatever Liverpool offer

5 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Gotta laugh at all of this COVID bollocks, its like people are desperate for the next spoonful of bullshit to swallow they're that quick to repeat it verbatim.

The owners bought an asset for circa $350m and it is currently worth $2.17bn. Please fucking read that until you fathom the gravity of it.

It's not about profit (wealth is not only a function of cash, this isn't your current account), but even if it was, we're not even spending what we've fucking made over the last few years. Every year we're gushing at our financial statements proving how 'clever' our owners are when in reality it just makes us the dumb fucks, because none of those profits are being reinvested into our team.

They bought a fucking football club, not a chippy. Investing in the playing squad is literally the primary operating cost of doing business and principal way of retaining the value of your asset.

Put your hand in your pocket you absolute cunts.

God bless Jurgen.

here we go with the misinformation. The club wasnt boughtfor $350m, it was £350m including the debt. The exchange rate at the time meant the dollar rate made the deal closer to $650m.

Recent valuation put the club's value at anything between £1.25bn and £1.7bn https://www.forbes.com/teams/liverpool/#254b82506045

Yes, there's a tidy £1bn 'profit' but it isnt realised until someone pays that for the club. In other words, the 'profit' isnt ready cash that can be spent unless you mortgage something off or against it.

Ive said it before, Im perfectly ok with the owners making the club self sufficient and Im glad we're no a no mark club like city, chelsea and PSG etc who live off handouts from mega rich men.

2 hours ago, Funkasy said:

Sky only pay about 5 % of the combined tv money to the clubs. So why would that fuck our econemy.

Er what? Sky tv and other broadcaster's money makes up something like 45% of the club's income. In our CL winning years, tv income was worth £250m to the club.

57 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

If that is true that in unfuckingbelievable even by FSG standards. We are a two and a half billion pound football club which has been hovering up cash left right and centre and who has made no big transfers in two years.

Jurgen was speaking to Werner for some time but it also transpires Liverpool wound down contact a couple of months ago.

If Im honest, Im disappointed Werner looks like he's going to chelsea, pretty much the same as when Pulisic went there instead. I think both would have developed here under Jurgen. Under fwank, they'll win a few games for him but he's a tactical midget compared to Jurgen.

Werner wont be the last transfer target we miss so im not going to lose sleep over it.

13 minutes ago, torahboy said:

The reaction of some on here to the unconfirmed news that Wener is going to Chelsea is embarrassing. The foot stamping bitchiness, accompanied with forecasts of the apocalyptic destruction of the whole Liverpool empire, is vomit inducing in its spoiled brattishness. Truly embarrassing. 

By the way, our season resumes on the 21st. Anyone interested? 

Yeah a poster who hasn’t posted for months comes out of the woodwork to up neg count. Who’d have guessed.

We are European Champions and top of the league by a silly number of points by so it seems a bit twatty to kick off about not signing a player.  Chelsea can take the piss but the reality is he’s not going to turn them in to league winners and Lampard will be sacked within 18 months.  They can sign celebrating players while we celebrate trophies.

BUT we’ve all seen this story before and we know where it leads.  The difference this time is we are top and not second.  It’s difficult to not see it playing out the same way as before though.  While we are top we should be trying our best to stay there because that brings the possibility of matching revenues of United and Real which would then mean we could compete in the long term without having the greatest manager in the world working miracles every season because he won’t always be here.

Seems like we wanted him but not for the price quoted (release fee, plus wages).

Slightly disappointed as I think he’d have been an asset but I guess it depends on the gap between what we were prepared to pay and what we had to pay to get him.

If the gap is small then I can understand criticism of the ownership, especially if both player and our manager were keen.

Just pay the extra and trust the manager to increase the value of the investment as he’s done money times before.

I suppose if we’re miles apart then, particularly given the current uncertainty, I can understand the owners just not being prepared to do it. To be fair, it’s not their style to ‘just pay it’ anyway.

Maybe it’s Klopp himself who’s said he likes him but not at the money quoted. Strikes me, he’s the kind of manager/man who would spend the clubs money as though it was his own. 

29 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I think the point is that they may need the money but that has no impact on Werner.  He could easily turn around and say I’m not going anywhere unless it’s Liverpool.  If you need money then you’re going to have to accept whatever Liverpool offer

I'm sure £200k per week and a place in the starting IX every week as softened the blow.