You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

6 minutes ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

just shows perhaps he's not the right player if he joins another team that quickly. 

The timing is right for him to move. I think he will do well at a bigger club.

Of course I thought Haaland would shit his pants so...

Gotta laugh at all of this COVID bollocks, its like people are desperate for the next spoonful of bullshit to swallow they're that quick to repeat it verbatim.

The owners bought an asset for circa $350m and it is currently worth $2.17bn. Please fucking read that until you fathom the gravity of it.

It's not about profit (wealth is not only a function of cash, this isn't your current account), but even if it was, we're not even spending what we've fucking made over the last few years. Every year we're gushing at our financial statements proving how 'clever' our owners are when in reality it just makes us the dumb fucks, because none of those profits are being reinvested into our team.

They bought a fucking football club, not a chippy. Investing in the playing squad is literally the primary operating cost of doing business and principal way of retaining the value of your asset.

Put your hand in your pocket you absolute cunts.

God bless Jurgen.

• Upvote 2

So Chelsea are rumoured to be paying werner 12 million a year. 

Can someone explain how on earth a team that can barely fill a 30,000 stadium can afford that by the way? 

As for the deal, fair play to werners agent, he's done a great service for his clients back balance. If you look at it logically, you can't blame the lad for wanting to make so much money. 

Not that devastated we did not get him, not certainly on 200k, which could have disturbed the wage equilibrium, with someone like Mane on much less. I wish he went to a non-rival club elsewhere, though. I would in fact have preferred the other kid from Leverkusen, forgot the name, who is more creative and all-rounded. But I have a feeling we could still bring in someone younger.

12 minutes ago, therevivalist said:

Not that devastated we did not get him, not certainly on 200k, which could have disturbed the wage equilibrium, with someone like Mane on much less. I wish he went to a non-rival club elsewhere, though. I would in fact have preferred the other kid from Leverkusen, forgot the name, who is more creative and all-rounded. But I have a feeling we could still bring in someone younger.

Havertz? 

5 hours ago, Mil-ing Around said:

Said it before but I don't rate him. No real skill and I think he'd struggle against 90% of the teams that sit deep and park the bus against us. Fuck him.

We better be signing someone though! I think Sancho is far more suited to us.

If we didn't sign Werner for 50million, how are we gonna afford Havertz or Sancho who are gonna cost almost double?

I think we pulled out off the Werner deal because of Ousmane Dembele's probable availability. Klopp likes him and said in the recent past he would be interested if Dembele was on the market. Well, he is now and I think between Werner and Dembele, the latter is cheaper. Whether he's the right signing, I'll leave that to Klopp but if it was me, I would choose Dembele because he can play on the right or left this proving to be much better cover for Salah/ Mane. Werner plays either on the left or middle but we already have Takumi and Origi for that. So I guess the club looked at what we absolutely needed and Timo is more of a want than a need with his skillsets right now. 

This is all "if" because ive no idea what deals we have lined up, if were skint or whatever. I think my only real concern with this is if klopp really has been going all out for the guy and building a relationship only to have the rug pulled from under his feet.

Well I say only concern but considering we are so well run, have the biggest slice of TV money, ever increasing sponsors, to get to a UEFA cup final, two champions league finals, winning one, finishing in champions league places and now going to win the league after all that success for us to still cry poverty is a bit worrying, what happens when we aren't on the crest of a wave. The team the business is built around literally can not do any more to increase revenue than it currently is.

Because of the Countino money we went big on VVD and Alisson, being able to get top tier when it became available is what took us up to a whole new level.

I'm not cry arsing just making the point, I've no idea about our situation. The club has to be run as a business but still we should absolutely be able to compete for the best players without having to sell ours.

• Upvote 4

We signed Mane when Gotze knocked us back. We signed Salah when Brandt knocked us back. I wouldn’t worry about missing out on players because between Klopp and the transfer team we can make most signings look like good business, just so long as we have alternatives. I can see Klopp taking a Coutinho or Dembele loan deal and making it look like the best deal ever, either way we aren’t signing players better than the starting forwards.

For me, it’s all about what the manager and his team want. If they desperately wanted him and the owners pulled the rug out over a few quid so that we lost the deal, they’re obviously massive cunts. If that’s not what happened and it’s a managerial choice, then it’s fine. I want the manager backed so he can run the team as he wants. Maybe the player went for a mixture of the money and a 100% starting place.,

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

With regards to Arsenal, they are currently doing the things wrong as a club that Liverpool did in the last few years. Biggest of all, allowing players contracts to run down. Aubamayeng is next on that list. 

Securing your own best players is the priority, adding to them a close second. 

I wanted Liverpool to sign Werner but it's no disaster that he's going somewhere else, just shows perhaps he's not the right player if he joins another team that quickly. 

Which of our best players have we not already secured? 

1 hour ago, Daisy said:

Why do people think we are going to lose 200 million? 

We've lost probably about 10 million in gate revenue so far 

FSG are taking the cautious approach once again and I agree with them. Football in empty stadiums may directly cost us 10m but it could be shit. Sky and BT have been losing customers by the truck load, its likely they won't come back if the product is shit. The very viability of those 2 and their ability to pay the largest proportion of our income should be a concern. With the strength of squad I don't think it's unreasonable to hold off and see where we're heading.

If passing on Werner is to buy Havertz sometime in future  then this was a sound decision . Probably warming to thoughts of Dembele lad on loan. Would not have to play load of match time  as he only cover for front 3 , try and get him fit, get a proper assessment of his ability to stay injury free. If we can get him physically sound , get some minutes under his belt ,and manage him properly potentially we could have a bargain. Otherwise let him go . 

Whilst I think we could afford him even in these times, 50 odd million for a player that won't be in the starting 11 is something I would do in Football Manager, but I'm not sure it's a great idea in real life.

That being said, if we'd bought him then I wouldn't have complained......

The Athletic article today makes it sounds like Werner was prepared to wait for us but RBL told him they needed the money.

The mancs wanted him & he spoke to Solskjaer but was told they’d only move if they sold Pogba. 

Although I’m disappointed by it, none of us know the financial implications of COVID19 and how it’ll impact the clubs and transfers. 

If the mancs couldn’t afford him and RBL needed to sell him, I’m not surprised that we maybe backed out. 

Shit happens.

If the African tournemant is moved, I’m significantly less concerned.

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

If the African tournemant is moved, I’m significantly less concerned.

It just feels a little like we've rolled the dice for the last two seasons and got lucky that none of the front three have suffered long term injuries. If we'd had to make do without say Mo and Sadio for a couple of months each, this season could have been very different. So even if AFCON is moved, it's still clearly a risk to assume that we'll get lucky for a 3rd season in a row.

• Upvote 3

Disappointing we didn’t get Werner as he looks a very good player but other than him, I didn’t think we’d go big on anyone this summer Covid or not. 

Klopp said last summer that he couldn’t get any big names in or up and coming stars as he couldn’t guarantee them the minutes they’d want. Said the same about Haaland in January. 

The front 3 are the envy of football, keita’s staying, milners signed on for another 2 seasons and Curtis Jones replaces Lallana so the midfields sorted. 

Lovren might go but we’re not paying big bucks on a 4th choice centre half.

We’ve got the best XI in the world at the minute and it would be stupid to blow £100m (transfer fee & wages) on a player who’ll only be getting starts in the domestic cups. 

Klopp & Edwards have got it spot on so far. Got to trust them on this. Let’s never forget our summers being ruined by our disastrous transfer dealings. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, No2 said:

FSG are taking the cautious approach once again and I agree with them. Football in empty stadiums may directly cost us 10m but it could be shit. Sky and BT have been losing customers by the truck load, its likely they won't come back if the product is shit. The very viability of those 2 and their ability to pay the largest proportion of our income should be a concern. With the strength of squad I don't think it's unreasonable to hold off and see where we're heading.

Sky only pay about 5 % of the combined tv money to the clubs. So why would that fuck our econemy.

38 minutes ago, sh#t waffle said:

It just feels a little like we've rolled the dice for the last two seasons and got lucky that none of the front three have suffered long term injuries. If we'd had to make do without say Mo and Sadio for a couple of months each, this season could have been very different. So even if AFCON is moved, it's still clearly a risk to assume that we'll get lucky for a 3rd season in a row.

I get where your coming from. With my glass permanently half full specs on, we have Elliot & Jones coming through the ranks, Miramino will have settled more, Ox & Origi can fill a role & if Shaq stays / ever gets himself fit, then we have ample cover.

I am slightly disappointed with Werner but I’m not gonna throw a hissy fit about it. We’ve lost out on other players Klopp courted (Gotze, Dahoud, Brandt etc) and we’ve always come out of it the better.

Maybe we won’t this time, but I’m prepared to give the club the benefit of the doubt.

Also, we don’t know what our plans are this summer. Maybe we’ll get Willian on a free? Certainly an upgrade there. But even if we don’t, I think we can cope.

If the AFCON isn’t moved, I’ll be significantly more concerned. By all accounts there are a number of qualifiers left so it’s likely to be moved back a year.

• Upvote 3

We either didn’t want him or can’t afford him.

The end of the transfer window will tell us which one, as we’ll either sign a different player or no one. 

To go through 2 summer windows with no signings is definitely a gamble.

As City found out this season a long term injury to a key player without an adequate deputy can derail your season.