You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

3 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Okay, not too surprising I guess considering all the associated costs will rise. Annoying though.

I’d have thought with there being no fans going in next season they’d have gone in and blitzed that build and had it ready sooner. These aren’t putting none of their own dough into this club 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Okay, not too surprising I guess considering all the associated costs will rise. Annoying though.

Kind of, but then you factor in it’s not part of FFP costs and it’s a guaranteed income generator It just looks like caution first capitalism, which is anathema to what I thought capitalism was.

But hey-ho.

Hope you and yours are good?

21 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

I think everyone knows that FSG arent as bad as the Glazers taking money out of the club, the issue most people have is that they use any excuse not to spend money and just try to get success by spending the bare minimum to nothing. 

They used not being in the Champions League as an excuse not to spend but it hasn't altered their attitude to spending money while we are at the top of the tree earning almost the maximum we can get from kit deals, matchday revenue and sponsorship. 

They dragged their feet over the expansion of the stadium when they promised to sort the issue out when they bought us. They are never going to redevelop the whole ground and only built the Main stand after a long drawn out process, now the second phase is on hold, god knows when it will get resurrected. 

They bought us for fuck all and the value of the club has skyrocketed yet the owners are still tight bastards who use any excuse not to spend money. Liverpool are a massive club yet we never act like one. 

Think how different it could have been if we hadn't bought a bargain basement keeper in 2018 who cost us the European Cup or had a decent player to come on when Salah got fucked by Ramos?

Or if we had signed one or two squad players to get us over the line in 2014 instead of using the same 14 players and running them into the ground.

I agree with all that,......but. This is a different time. I’ve no doubt, pre Covid, we’d have had Werner. Spending them wages and 50m on a player that has to displace one of the 3 best forwards in World football whilst losing 200m+ in revenues. I get we need a squad, and I’m not an FSG apologist, but we have Minamino who will be acclimatised and Jones coming thru too. Keita too. 

Don't see where the surprise is coming from.   The moment the season was stopped and it became clear, we'd lose money.  Fsg started leaking through the usual realible mouthpieces that we'd be spending next to fuck all, again. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

I agree with all that,......but. This is a different time. I’ve no doubt, pre Covid, we’d have had Werner. Spending them wages and 50m on a player that has to displace one of the 3 best forwards in World football whilst losing 200m+ in revenues. I get we need a squad, and I’m not an FSG apologist, but we have Minamino who will be acclimatised and Jones coming thru too. Keita too. 

We will have to see whether this affects just us because if mid table clubs start spending money and not us then there is something wrong.

I just get fed up about the way the club leaks stories that we are always skint/happy with the current squad. Once the impact of the virus was known the club was leaking information about us not spending like they couldn't wait to do so.

Yet most transfer news for other clubs is business as usual, even ones like Arsenal who aren't qualifying for the CL and managed to spend 72m on a player whilst being in the Europa league, even though he was shite. 

1 hour ago, Red74 said:

I’d have thought with there being no fans going in next season they’d have gone in and blitzed that build and had it ready sooner. These aren’t putting none of their own dough into this club 

You know what, Im fucking proud of that fact the owners arent 'putting their money' into the club's transfer plans. The owners have made the club self sufficient. I dont get how people can complain about city's owners shovelling hundreds of millions into their club then complain FSG arent shovelling their money into this club. Fucking weird.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

You know what, Im fucking proud of that fact the owners arent 'putting their money' into the club's transfer plans. The owners have made the club self sufficient. I dont get how people can complain about city's owners shovelling hundreds of millions into their club then complain FSG arent shovelling their money into this club. Fucking weird.

FSG are not gonna shag you mate.

25 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

But don't you think it is reasonable to expect them to put some of their own money into the club at some point over the decade that they have owned us?.

I don't see why Liverpool, one of the biggest clubs in the world are the only club that should operate this way. Even mid table Premier league clubs not owned by oligarchs have money put into them by their owners. They always look for reasons never to spend money, their net spend is probably not that much different to David Moores.

I don't think they are terrible owners like Mike Ashley or the Glazers but they get a free pass for buying us off the two cowboys and the genius of Klopp getting us to where we are. 

22 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I've got no problems with being self sufficient, but we're not spending what we earn. The last 2 years we have made a profit of £147 million. This season we basically had no transfer spend and we will loose about £100m because of Covid. We should be able to sign a player for £50m as it is effectively only £10m a year plus wages.

It does grate that for the money we make we are always claiming poverty.

Guest Alex_K
1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Yep.  I'm just baffled why anyone gives a shit about football right now.

I'm even more baffled that you're taking time out of your day to write in a football forum that you're baffled why anyone gives a shit about football.

Guest Alex_K
1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

As others have written, it has nothing to do with self sufficiency. The club is not spending what it earns. We lucked out getting Klopp, and we lucked out again not only signing at pretty much a 100% success rate but also (touch wood) signing players who next to never get injured.

Van Dijk, Mane & Salah have by my count played in 193 out of the last 201 combined league games as a trio over the past 2 seasons. The levels of quality and consistency are unheard of. Its a fools errand to think we can just coast on that indefinitely; we already know that Afcon will completely throw this out.

'Better to be lucky than good' - it would just be nice if we had owners who once in a while provided funds to make life a little easier. The Spurs comparison just isn't worth making - their revenues are not on our level and their expenditures have been way above ours.

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

I’m a bit deflated to be honest. I’m not convinced by Werner, but the club *needs* to back Klopp here.

Pretty much this. There's something to be said about continuity, but at some point the team will become stale and not signing a difference maker this window will make that happen sooner rather than later. 

I don't look at the club's finances, but does re-upping these deals for van Dijk, Salah, Mane, etc.. really take that much out of our revenue? Are their salaries now on par with the likes of what Barca, Madrid, Bayern pay their top players?

I get we respect FFP and the owners don't spend their own money, but it feels like we should be able to sign one quality player. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

But don't you think it is reasonable to expect them to put some of their own money into the club at some point over the decade that they have owned us?.

I don't see why Liverpool, one of the biggest clubs in the world are the only club that should operate this way. Even mid table Premier league clubs not owned by oligarchs have money put into them by their owners. They always look for reasons never to spend money, their net spend is probably not that much different to David Moores.

I don't think they are terrible owners like Mike Ashley or the Glazers but they get a free pass for buying us off the two cowboys and the genius of Klopp getting us to where we are. 

Owners who do that are the exception rather than the rule, tbf. I wonder if not paying for Werner is due to the fact that it's a release clause, and therefore a lump sum payment. I'm pretty sure that's the case with release clauses. Whereas other transfers you can pay in installments and do some creative accounting. Might be wrong. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Who else does that? Other than City?

By put in, you mean take a note against it or just leave a 100 mil in duffel bags.

I think it’s pretty clear we were well up for Werner but with the whole Covid stuff we’ve decided the future financial situation is too unknown to commit to anything. The club has already missed out on tens of millions, and if there’s a second wave and next season goes to shit as well it could be  massively worse.

Hence putting a pause on the Anny Road Reno and wanting to delay before sorting Werner deal out.

Depends if you think caution is the best approach, I suppose, as to how much you think that is a reasonable position to take.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Anubis said:

Werner and Ziyech are good additions for Chelsea. I wonder if this is our punishment for being outspoken about the furlough.

We have consulted with a range of key stakeholders as part of a process aimed at achieving the best possible outcome for all concerned. A range of possible scenarios were considered, including but not restricted to: applying to the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, which pays 80 per cent of salary and guaranteeing the 20 per cent payment; applying to the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme with a guarantee to reimburse monies received at a later date; and, thirdly, finding an alternative means to cover our furlough costs.

It is as a direct result of this extensive consultation and our own internal deliberations at various levels throughout the club that we have opted to find alternative means despite our eligibility to apply for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme.

25 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Owners who do that are the exception rather than the rule, tbf. I wonder if not paying for Werner is due to the fact that it's a release clause, and therefore a lump sum payment. I'm pretty sure that's the case with release clauses. Whereas other transfers you can pay in installments and do some creative accounting. Might be wrong. 

exactly mate ive never put money into my business if it falls on hard times its the good old overdraft or a bridging loan.I make my living and let the accountant worry about the rest.As for Werner i think its a case of us playing usual game of we wont pay the full price and end up somewhere close to it plus i think this whole link to chelsea is just something to call our bluff 

3 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

We will have to see whether this affects just us because if mid table clubs start spending money and not us then there is something wrong.

I just get fed up about the way the club leaks stories that we are always skint/happy with the current squad. Once the impact of the virus was known the club was leaking information about us not spending like they couldn't wait to do so.

Yet most transfer news for other clubs is business as usual, even ones like Arsenal who aren't qualifying for the CL and managed to spend 72m on a player whilst being in the Europa league, even though he was shite. 

With regards to Arsenal, they are currently doing the things wrong as a club that Liverpool did in the last few years. Biggest of all, allowing players contracts to run down. Aubamayeng is next on that list. 

Securing your own best players is the priority, adding to them a close second. 

I wanted Liverpool to sign Werner but it's no disaster that he's going somewhere else, just shows perhaps he's not the right player if he joins another team that quickly.