You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

We could potentially be moving on Lallana, Clyne, Karius, Lovren, Shaqiri, Grujic and Wilson this summer. I would be tempted to cash in on Keita and Origi as well, but it might be too many players to replace in one window!

In terms of players coming in, I'd go for Werner and Ake, possibly Cantwell and then either Havertz or Sancho depending on which player we think would most improve us?

If we want to stay at the level we are now then we really need competition for places. The team look so fatigued now, and its mainly because we haven't rotated enough.    

I've been thinking now we maybe shouldn't sign a CB. Lovren will leave but we could just have Fabinho be 4th choice and keep developing Hoever and van Den Berg. I don't really see what the point would be of spending good money on a good young CB when he'd be at best 3/4th choice.

We're obviously getting Werner, at the detriment of someone like Sancho so besides that, I'd get an expensive attacking midfielder who can play front three or in midfield and a left back and that's pretty much it.

53 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Hoever and van Den Berg. I don't really see what the point would be of spending good money on a good young CB when he'd be at best 3/4th choice.

The problem is we are a VVD injury away from having to rely on an injury prone pairing of Gomez and Matip. 

Hoever and or Van den Berg may be the answer in the future, but are a long way away from being ready to play at Premier League level. 

8 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

The problem is we are a VVD injury away from having to rely on an injury prone pairing of Gomez and Matip. 

Hoever and or Van den Berg may be the answer in the future, but are a long way away from being ready to play at Premier League level. 

Yeah, but we probably wouldn't spend the money required to sign someone who is close to van Dijk's level anyway, so if van Dijk got injured, it would be disastrous whether we buy a CB or not. It would basically be for depth purposes and to do a job for the short term, something Fabinho could do.

I don't like pulling Fabinho out of midfield and while Gomez and Matip are boss, their injury record means Lovren would need replacing. It's definitely too soon for Van Den Berg, Hoever could do with a loan I reckon.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

I mean, we might as well sell both Matip and Gomez if their injury record is that bad that they can't be seen as regular CB's.

I don't want them sold, too hard and expensive to replace, plus I like them both! Plus Gomez is still the main cover for Trent, a couple injuries in defence and the drop off is too drastic.

2 hours ago, Remmie said:

I don't like pulling Fabinho out of midfield and while Gomez and Matip are boss, their injury record means Lovren would need replacing. It's definitely too soon for Van Den Berg, Hoever could do with a loan I reckon.

I'm not sure where this loan idea comes from.

Has any player ever come back from a loan and made it here? Genuine question, as I can't think of any except Origi, and that wasn't exactly loaning him out to get experience, it was clearly a shop window job.

Anyone who goes out on loan is as good as gone.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, m0e said:

I'm not sure where this loan idea comes from.

Has any player ever come back from a loan and made it here? Genuine question, as I can't think of any except Origi, and that wasn't exactly loaning him out to get experience, it was clearly a shop window job.

Anyone who goes out on loan is as good as gone.

That might be because not many youth players have progressed to the first team. Sterling, Trent and Gomez spring to mind as young players who broke into the first team. Granted they didn't need loans as they were ready but if Lovren is 4th choice and people like Fabinho and Henderson are being used as cover for centre back, it's a hell of a jump. It's true that a loan might not be the answer and seems Jürgen isn't a fan either, but how does Hoever progress sufficiently with all those top class players ahead of him?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Remmie said:

That might be because not many youth players have progressed to the first team. Sterling, Trent and Gomez spring to mind as young players who broke into the first team. Granted they didn't need loans as they were ready but if Lovren is 4th choice and people like Fabinho and Henderson are being used as cover for centre back, it's a hell of a jump. It's true that a loan might not be the answer and seems Jürgen isn't a fan either, but how does Hoever progress sufficiently with all those top class players ahead of him?

By selling Lovren, I suppose. He'd have played a half dozen games this season

Who do we buy as a CB this summer who'd be good enough and willing to be fourth choice? By good, I mean notable better than Hoever and Sepp VDB. 

It's so difficult to buy for because if a player is as good as (or better than) Lovren, they'll likely be able to find first team football at another decent club.

Coming in as 3rd choice...maybe. Coming in as 4th? Difficult.

39 minutes ago, Remmie said:

how does Hoever progress sufficiently with all those top class players ahead of him?

The same way those mentioned have. By being good enough.

Our top young players are far better served training with the first team than playing Championship level.

Those players a cut below our top young players will never be good enough for our team anyway (see Wilson who has succeeded on loan).

Of this current group I would be surprised to see Jones, Williams or Elliott go out on loan.

45 minutes ago, Remmie said:

how does Hoever progress sufficiently with all those top class players ahead of him?

By not replacing Lovren and using Fabinho, who I think is capable, as a safety net in case Hoever and van den Berg don't progress. 

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

The same way those mentioned have. By being good enough.

Our top young players are far better served training with the first team than playing Championship level.

Those players a cut below our top young players will never be good enough for our team anyway (see Wilson who has succeeded on loan).

But they didn't have the level of competition that's in place now and why does a loan have to involve the championship? I'd like to see loan moves abroad, teams like the red bull ones

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

By not replacing Lovren and using Fabinho, who I think is capable, as a safety net in case Hoever and van den Berg don't progress. 

Well I don't like it but I guess Klopp probably agrees with you. Just don't like 1st teamers covering non natural positions.

If Klopp is going to be in the market for another centre back, he might prefer to choose someone with a similar skill-set to Gomez, as that sort of pace and aggression dovetails with Van Dijk much more effectively. It also tallies with Klopp signing first-teamers who have athleticism in abundance.

3 minutes ago, Remmie said:

But they didn't have the level of competition that's in place now and why does a loan have to involve the championship? I'd like to see loan moves abroad, teams like the red bull ones

I'm sure Klopp could work some moves to German clubs but I don't see our second tier youth players as attractive for Leipzig -- maybe the Austrian team. As I edited in previous post do not think you will see Williams or Jones or Elliott loaned out.

So that would mean we would TAA, Jomez, Jones, Williams and Elliott all in the 25 with a couple in the starting 11 and a couple who could certainly make THE BENCH!!

50 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Who do we buy as a CB this summer who'd be good enough and willing to be fourth choice? By good, I mean notable better than Hoever and Sepp VDB. 

It's so difficult to buy for because if a player is as good as (or better than) Lovren, they'll likely be able to find first team football at another decent club.

Coming in as 3rd choice...maybe. Coming in as 4th? Difficult.

This is the bottom line. Loads think we should buy someone of van Dijk's quality either as a back up to Virgil and Joe or, to replace Joe. But it ignores the obvious. Someone of van Dijk's quality isnt going to come here as 3rd choice CB. If he comes in as a direct 'upgrade' on Joe, Joe isnt going to sit being 3rd choice.

You buy a CB as 3rd or even 4th choice and you get 3rd and 4th choice performamnces. It seems pretty clear to me that after his failed move at Christmas, Degsy is going to move on in summer. It follows that Matip will be 3rd choice at best and he may not fancy sitting on the bench waiting for Joe or, heaven forbid, Virgil getting injured.

6 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

This is the bottom line. Loads think we should buy someone of van Dijk's quality either as a back up to Virgil and Joe or, to replace Joe. But it ignores the obvious. Someone of van Dijk's quality isnt going to come here as 3rd choice CB. If he comes in as a direct 'upgrade' on Joe, Joe isnt going to sit being 3rd choice.

You buy a CB as 3rd or even 4th choice and you get 3rd and 4th choice performamnces. It seems pretty clear to me that after his failed move at Christmas, Degsy is going to move on in summer. It follows that Matip will be 3rd choice at best and he may not fancy sitting on the bench waiting for Joe or, heaven forbid, Virgil getting injured.

It ignores the most obvious thing of all, there isn't a centre back on the planet close to VVD's level! Just look around the league, look at the standard of nearly every player. There's aren't too many close to the level of matip and Gomez. I think we need to face reality that klopp is fine with the wobbly injury history of matip and Gomez, but as players there aren't many better in the league. It was clear last summer we'd have entertained selling lovren had it been done in sufficient time. As for the player coming in, if hoever isn't ready (the other dutch kid 100% isn't), then we should look for someone old who still has some pace and allows us to press up the pitch, just fill a gap for 2 seasons. We're not going to bring in another kid or a world class player with Gomez there and the 2 Dutch kids waiting on the rank.  

10 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Anyone even suggesting selling Gomez needs their head examined 

Leave this thread for 24 hours talking about Havertz, Sancho, and Werner and come back to yourself having to point above out. Place has gone crazy. As is at the back (yes that includes Lovren) run down older players contracts bring youth through slowly . Worked for Gomes . 

• Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Leave this thread for 24 hours talking about Havertz, Sancho, and Werner and come back to yourself having to point above out. Place has gone crazy. As is at the back (yes that includes Lovren) run down older players contracts bring youth through slowly . Worked for Gomes . 

We signed Gomez when he was already a first team player at Charlton didn’t we ? 

Sell Lovren , sign Ake.