You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7997385/amp/Liverpool-latest-club-keen-sign-100m-rated-Borussia-Dortmund-forward-Jadon-Sancho.html

Liverpool have informed Borussia Dortmund of their desire to sign Jadon Sancho this summer, with the German club expected to demand at least £100million for the 19-year-old England forward (Dominic King)

Yessir. 

23 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7997385/amp/Liverpool-latest-club-keen-sign-100m-rated-Borussia-Dortmund-forward-Jadon-Sancho.html

Liverpool have informed Borussia Dortmund of their desire to sign Jadon Sancho this summer, with the German club expected to demand at least £100million for the 19-year-old England forward (Dominic King)

Yessir. 

I wouldn’t grumble. 

With the position of strength we are in I hope we act like the smug knobs asking ridiculously high prices for any of our stars and showing an interest in anyone over 100 mil just to bump the price up. I like that keep us informed line really non committal but with a bit of agitation. In the middle of all the shenanigans announce we did a deal for Werner in April for his release clause that noone else knew about. 

For those of you too young to remember there was a summer we bought Barnes Beardsley and I think Houghton I have to say it was the best transfer window ever.  Bit like if we were to add Werner Sancho and Havertz this year that's how we all felt couldn't wait for season to start.

4 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

With the position of strength we are in I hope we act like the smug knobs asking ridiculously high prices for any of our stars and showing an interest in anyone over 100 mil just to bump the price up. I like that keep us informed line really non committal but with a bit of agitation. In the middle of all the shenanigans announce we did a deal for Werner in April for his release clause that noone else knew about. 

For those of you too young to remember there was a summer we bought Barnes Beardsley and I think Houghton I have to say it was the best transfer window ever.  Bit like if we were to add Werner Sancho and Havertz this year that's how we all felt couldn't wait for season to start.

Wouldn't that cost about seven gazillion pounds?

10 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Not inconceivable that we'd get £60m to £70m for selling Wilson, Shaq and Grujic with no huge loss to our personnel. 

And if Werner is a definite big Div could leave with all our blessings for 40 to 50 ?  Or 60 to 70 for palace or Bournemouth  . In saying that if he left I would like him to go to half decent side soft spot for big lad.

1 hour ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Have any of the other usual suspects ran that Sancho article yet?

King was the second name on it and I’d never heard of the other one.

All the usual names have said we are interested in Sancho, but doubt we will pay the fee required. Pearce just said Werner is likelier because he has a release clause that is lower. That still just seems like it's guesswork from Pearce but obviously there is logic behind what he's saying. 

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

All the usual names have said we are interested in Sancho, but doubt we will pay the fee required. Pearce just said Werner is likelier because he has a release clause that is lower. That still just seems like it's guesswork from Pearce but obviously there is logic behind what he's saying. 

I bet King’s name has just been attached to that article because he’s the LFC rep at the Mail. The other fella is some freelance, London-clubs based journalist. It’ll be speculative bollocks which is no different to everything said so far...there’s no way we’re getting involved in an auction for Sancho.

4 hours ago, clockspeed said:

For those of you too young to remember there was a summer we bought Barnes Beardsley and I think Houghton I have to say it was the best transfer window ever. 

At the risk of sounding pedantic, there wasn't a window back then and I believe Houghton came after the season started. And we were spending the Rush money (plus some).

6 hours ago, clockspeed said:

And if Werner is a definite big Div could leave with all our blessings for 40 to 50 ?  Or 60 to 70 for palace or Bournemouth  . In saying that if he left I would like him to go to half decent side soft spot for big lad.

I doubt we'd get over £30m for Divock, maybe £25m. Just because we all love him for his iconic goals doesn't mean the rest of football will overrate him.

Still, between Lovren, Shaqiri, Wilson, Grujic, and Origi (if we're talking about Werner and Sancho, then I'd think Origi is out the door for sure) we should be able to get in £80m or so, which would make the double swoop theoretically possible.

Hugely unlikely, though. Much more likely we'll get Werner, a backup left back and maybe a midfielder. I'd be pretty happy with that, especially if the midfielder was Aouar.

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I doubt we'd get over £30m for Divock, maybe £25m. Just because we all love him for his iconic goals doesn't mean the rest of football will overrate him.

Still, between Lovren, Shaqiri, Wilson, Grujic, and Origi (if we're talking about Werner and Sancho, then I'd think Origi is out the door for sure) we should be able to get in £80m or so, which would make the double swoop theoretically possible.

Hugely unlikely, though. Much more likely we'll get Werner, a backup left back and maybe a midfielder. I'd be pretty happy with that, especially if the midfielder was Aouar.

I have a tough time imagining us being interested in Aouar. We've got Chamberlain and Keita as backups to Wijnaldum and Henderson for the #8. Not to mention Curtis Jones who is beating down the door to play. Plus, he'd need a lot of adaptation. If it took Fabinho 6 months to adapt to us, it would take Aouar a year and he's at an age where he needs and would expect to play regular football.

The midfielder I would sign is Camavinga. He has been astoundingly consistent, if not brilliant for a 17 year old and I think he has a clear position for us, which would be the #6. He is an incredible ball-winner already despite being years away from him physical peak and he is really composed on the ball. We could sign him for about 30m and stick him behind Fabinho to learn and play some matches here and there. He would need to adapt obviously, but he is already good enough for that and because of his very young age, he'd be given loads of time and leeway.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

We should pay 30m for a kid who was Honorable Mention in the Studs list???

There is a reason you can't get published.

Haha! He's only in the honorable mentions section as a technicality. If I made a Ligue 1 version, he's in the top 3. He's been the best player on the pitch numerous times this season, including against PSG.

I think it would make a lot of sense. It's the Real Madrid approach. Buy a brilliant 16-18 year old player before he truly explodes and his market valuation is triple. And either you keep him on loan at his current club and he keeps playing loads of matches or he's already good enough to play for you at a young age and you've got a star on your hands. 30m is very little nowadays.

And it's not just that, he's genuinely a great fit for us. He has the profile for the Premier League.