You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

You listen to the likes of melissa reddy and that and we won't really be doing any business just selling some of the squad old guard and replacing it with current youth players.

If Salah, Mane and Firmino aren't going anywhere, I wouldn't have a huge issue with that.

• Upvote 2

Hello, I have two points which I wish to raise.

The first is around Jadon Sancho.

We should purchase him this summer, prior to the Euro Champs, even if we pay a premium.

He is quite simply outstanding, both in terms of creating and scoring, and yes there is room to improve.

Would he come here?  I don't know.  People seem to assume he would, I don't get that impression he's gagging to move back to England, and if he did, does he still have City allegiance, or perhaps an ambition to live in London, we don't know.

He signed a massive contract with Dortmund in the summer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49420133

As such, this one would hurt.  I'm talking £120m+.  Plus, wage structure, not sure how do-able this is.

The second is around Coutinho.

Seen a lot of noise around his return, but I put that down to a quiet week for us, and his agent and the media.

Would welcome him back provided Klopp was certain he would train 100% and accept being moved positions.

If he was available around the £60m mark, I'd pull the trigger.  Basically a Shaqiri/Lallana upgrade, can play wide or central, he would safeguard us against a loss of one of the front 3 should it happen, and it might be that he's just providing cover while we buy someone else.

Does anyone want to ask me anything? 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Hello, I have two points which I wish to raise.

The first is around Jadon Sancho.

We should purchase him this summer, prior to the Euro Champs, even if we pay a premium.

He is quite simply outstanding, both in terms of creating and scoring, and yes there is room to improve.

Would he come here?  I don't know.  People seem to assume he would, I don't get that impression he's gagging to move back to England, and if he did, does he still have City allegiance, or perhaps an ambition to live in London, we don't know.

He signed a massive contract with Dortmund in the summer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49420133

As such, this one would hurt.  I'm talking £120m+.  Plus, wage structure, not sure how do-able this is.

The second is around Coutinho.

Seen a lot of noise around his return, but I put that down to a quiet week for us, and his agent and the media.

Would welcome him back provided Klopp was certain he would train 100% and accept being moved positions.

If he was available around the £60m mark, I'd pull the trigger.  Basically a Shaqiri/Lallana upgrade, can play wide or central, he would safeguard us against a loss of one of the front 3 should it happen, and it might be that he's just providing cover while we buy someone else.

Does anyone want to ask me anything? 

Do you like the books of Maeve Binchy.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, M_B said:

We aren't going to be spending 120 million+ on anyone.

I reckon we would if we sold a player for similar or more. Given that this would probably be one of our current front three, I hope we won't be doing so.

Leroy Sane has always impressed me and never seemed too keen on committing to City. Unlikely for obvious reasons but a quality footballer and maybe cheaper than some other options.

• Upvote 1

Losing our 2 best strikers for 6 weeks, and not spending any money for the 2nd year running on the back of record revenues wouldn't be a wise move in my opinion. We know how much work our players put in, and the only example in history of a team trying to reach the levels we are at for 3 consecutive seasons is city this year. Only need to drop by 5-10% and things look a lot different. City will regroup and spend a shit load to revitalise their squad in the summer. 

We should be going all in for Sancho and Werner; 2 young players already performing at the level we need with sell on/resale value should be a no brainer, especially with our front 3 all being around the same age so why not integrate these players next season to move on one in the summer of 20/21? 

If we get near to £60m for Shaq and Wilson, then that meets Werners clause, so then we just need to fork out for Sancho, and say he's £120ish, then £60m from last summer plus £60m from this summer shouldn't really break the bank.  

Getting to the summit after all these years and then wearing down the players we have seems like a waste. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, El Rojo said:

If Salah, Mane and Firmino aren't going anywhere, I wouldn't have a huge issue with that.

Melissa Reddy would have an issue, she'd have nothing to talk about apart from regurgitating the same old crap...

If Firmino got injured or sold his only like for like for me is Raul Jiminez...cracking player, albeit think he is about the same age...can't see club signing £120m players for a while...

No way we get Sancho and Werner unless one of the top 3 goes. Would either be happy on the bench, would either come here anyway. The best outcome to me is get Werner who I feel will be happier to start with rotation. They are both adaptable players but one is likely to cost twice as much as the other. 

29 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

No way we get Sancho and Werner unless one of the top 3 goes. Would either be happy on the bench, would either come here anyway. The best outcome to me is get Werner who I feel will be happier to start with rotation. They are both adaptable players but one is likely to cost twice as much as the other. 

We could play a top new signing along with the current front three as well. Don't know why that wouldn't be a possibility. In a 4-2-4 or 4-2-3-1. And then obviously when Salah and Mané leave in Jan or one of the 3 aren't available, that player can slot in. There are enough games to be had, I think the monster fees is what is making us reticent in buying that player.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We could play a top new signing along with the current front three as well. Don't know why that wouldn't be a possibility. In a 4-2-4 or 4-2-3-1. And then obviously when Salah and Mané leave in Jan or one of the 3 aren't available, that player can slot in. There are enough games to be had, I think the monster fees is what is making us reticent in buying that player.

I like 4231 at home. 433 away. But if it ain’t broke mate. We will sign a top attacker though, we have to now.

I'd have Coutinho back for what it's worth on the basis that Jurgen gets in his head & he wants to come here. 

That said, my offer to Barcelona would be zero, advising them to rip up his contract and let him walk for free. And my offer to Coutinho would be a smaller pay packet than he had when he left, with an extra German-hug each week. Is that unreasonable? Yes, absolutely, but why should Liverpool be reasonable to either party given their past behaviour? 

Basically he'll have to want to come here more than he wants the money to come here & I wouldn't be given Barca the shit off my shoe to facilitate it. 

41 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I like 4231 at home. 433 away. But if it ain’t broke mate. We will sign a top attacker though, we have to now.

I get that. The if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but weren't we a finger nail away from signing Fekir? We're off and running with the 4-3-3 and the balance is brilliant, but I think that almost-signing indicated some ulterior plan. Maybe playing with 4 attackers.

If we're ever going to change tactics or add a new wrinkle, obviously the player has to be right and the fee has to make sense, but I think it's a definite possibility. And I think, especially after a year where we might win everything, adding something new and evolving the next year is not a bad thing. To stay unpredictable.

I suppose none of us wants any of the front 3 to leave right ?

but this is the FSG way : sell high, buy low, and it has worked well.

I’m afraid they will do it again. But we don’t know what Klopp think, what Klopp wants. He’s as strong as he’s ever been, and I’m sure his position matters.

Let’s just focus on winning game, breaking records and collecting medals. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, J-V said:

No clubs have the money to afford Salah or Mane.  Madrid will get Mbappe.  Barcelona are skint unless they sell a load of players and they need multiple players for their squad anyway.  Neither will go to PSG so that's that.

Bingo. Maybe at some point we'd accept some reduced fee around 100m when they are 30 and over in the name of a rebuild, but that's the biggest stumbling block over the theory that any of our front 3 are leaving any time soon. Unless of course one of them pipes up and wants to leave, but no sign of that.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

I suppose none of us wants any of the front 3 to leave right ?

but this is the FSG way : sell high, buy low, and it has worked well.

I’m afraid they will do it again. But we don’t know what Klopp think, what Klopp wants. He’s as strong as he’s ever been, and I’m sure his position matters.

Let’s just focus on winning game, breaking records and collecting medals. 

I think you must have confused us with Leicester or Southampton.

22 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

You listen to the likes of melissa reddy and that and we won't really be doing any business just selling some of the squad old guard and replacing it with current youth players.

We won't be retaining the title if that's true. All our African players will be missing around 5 league games next year. 

We lose all our pace up top without them. I'll gaurente we have at least 2 massive league games in that period

Mancs looking at Grealish and maddison for 160m hopefully we looking at Werner and Havertz 160 m Chelsea and city with slight interest from utd looking at Sancho 120m spurs to hoover up high release clause Portuguese. 

If that all pans out I would be happy enough. Clubs are going to fire money at the "LFC" problem was always going.to happen. Here if we can tie everyone down to 5 year deals I would take Werner plus a couple of kids for the future this summer.