You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

18 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

We're supposed to be sniffing around that Turkish lad but the problem is going to be getting anyone of Adrian's quality to sit and wait for cup games when Alisson isnt playing.

Tell Buffon he can come and watch Alisson win the champions league and let him play the odd game to get his medal.

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I've seen Walcott at his best. He was a forward who combined world class pace and ability to score goals and assist in the final third but he was never someone who could get on the ball, eliminate defenders and create for others.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

I said in my post Walcott was good in the final third and provided end product at his best. What he didn't do that Sancho does, though, is get involved in the build-up, be a key part of attacking moves and drop deeper to get on the ball. He can be a creative fulcrum for his team. Walcott was never that. That wasn't his style.

19 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You said he couldn't create for others. I merely posted some stats proving otherwise. 

I said Walcott could assist people but that he wasn't creative or involved in the buildup. That's a simple distinction. None of what I wrote contradicts itself. You're just being obtuse.

20 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I said Walcott could assist people but that he wasn't creative or involved in the buildup. That's a simple distinction. None of what I wrote contradicts itself. You're just being obtuse.

You originally said he couldn't create for others so stop fucking whingeing. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Bobby is probably the last attacker I’d sell. He’s pretty much unique. It’s all well and good selling him for mega bucks, but who do we buy to replace him? We couldn’t, so we would have to change how we play. Then spend out on several players and their wages. No point really. 

To be fair it's not who you are currently replacing him, its who has similar attributes to mould him into a Bobby like player. Could Werner be mould into that or perhaps Havertz?

4 minutes ago, WhiskeyJar said:

To be fair it's not who you are currently replacing him, its who has similar attributes to mould him into a Bobby like player. Could Werner be mould into that or perhaps Havertz?

Not without changing the way the front three operate, I don’t think mate. Havertz maybe could grow into that. Werner is a totally different animal.

7 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

In a word... yes. In a picture..

These do a great job of showing what kind of player Werner is. If anything, you could say he's more of a backup for Mane than Firmino as he definitely likes to play coming from out wide to the inside.

Although, strictly speaking he plays more like Salah than Mane, just on the opposite side.

Anyway, definitely a player who we could fit in either from the left or through the middle. Has the combination of pace and technique to meld perfectly with any two of our current front line.

And I love the Chukwueze shout, BTW. I could see him turning into a sort of Robben-esque player; very one-footed, but he's so good with that foot that even though you know what's coming it doesn't matter.

13 hours ago, WhiskeyJar said:

Like yourself I think Bobby will be the hardest to replace and I am going to get roasted here but I think Martial would be a good replacement. Personally I think he is talented but not an out and out striker. again factor in the Klopp plus 30 % extra effect and he could be  what we are looking for. I would say he disenchanted playing in that set up at minute looking at what the three that went to Italy are currently doing and thinking I'm off at end of season. Factor in the man utd failure coefficient and he would be worth a punt around 50 mil. Open to other suggestions as to who could do a like for like job out there at minute not a long list and may be scraping the barrel but pretty much shows how indispensable our talented talisman is.

Plenty of wingers out there just below the level Mane and Salah to choose from.  However Havertz is going to be the Ballack/Zidane/Gascoigne  of his generation .  Not going to rubbish Sancho but if it a choice between the two I hope we go with the German. Also with the prices being quoted Havertz plus Werner would not be much more expensive than Sancho.

I feel this summer's spending will define how long we remain on our perch .