You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

13 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I sure bournmouth don't want to spend any more money with us after ibe, solanke and that full back I can't remember the name of (Brad someone?). But after the goals he's scored this year, I think they'd be mad to let Wilson go. 

Brad Smith. At loan at Cardiff,  from Bournemouth. We flogged him for 6m.

I always thought he had a future with us.

Had a good cross on him.  

3 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I thought Klopp rates Grujic? 

Minamino seems to have taken Shaqiri's role, Grujic could rotate in midfield in the absence of Lallana, so the talk of LB cover and maybe a forward seems about right.

I can't shake the feeling that we might see Salah go for some reason though. When he arrived there was some chatter that his dream was Madrid, which was sensibly quashed by his agent, but I wonder if winning the league here - having already won the CL - would be seen as his time for a new challenge.

He hasn't managed to do that for the last 3 years 

I don't see why we wouldn't break the bank for Sancho. He's one of the most productive players in Europe at 19, knows England, would be home grown, technically world class... He's the whole package. Yeah he'd cost a lot of money but van Dijk and Alisson were inflated fees too. I don't see the problem with say, paying 120m for a top player in 2020, vs. paying 75m and a world record fee in 2017. 

To me, going for Werner instead would be the equivalent of signing Nathan Ake for 40m instead of van Dijk for 75 because you're getting a discount. Yeah, you're getting a nice player who fits into our style of football, but the top choice is worth paying for and you're settling for less. 

Not sure that’s a good analogy. Werner isn’t just a decent player who you look to save on. He is a goal machine, scoring at a rate of a goal ever 89 minutes. Sancho is excellent and so is Werner. It’s About who Klopp thinks is a better fitted to playing his type of football and who is attainable. 

I personally dont think we're lashing out £100m or there abouts on anyone in the summer. Neither do I see any of our headline players moving on. I think they've seen Can and Coutinho move on for other reasons and seen how that shakes out.

I really dont see any of our headline players moving on until we've retained the Champions League and Premier League so, end of next season at the earliest. Im pretty sure even if they want to play for Real or Barcelona, they can see each of those clubs while massive, arent the same draw as they once were.

Go to Barcelona and you're in Messi's shadow despite the talk he 'may' leave at the end of the season. Go to Real and Zidane might have won 3 consecutive CLs but, he's no Jurgen and its a team needing big rebuilding.

I can see maybe a few clubs being interested in Divock at the end of the season and I guess it will come down to his appetite for regular games. But even then, I cannot see us bringing in Werner to sit behind Bobby, Mo and Sadio for a game.

Just my honest opinion and I could easily be wrong!

2 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Not sure that’s a good analogy. Werner isn’t just a decent player who you look to save on. He is a goal machine, scoring at a rate of a goal ever 89 minutes. Sancho is excellent and so is Werner. It’s About who Klopp thinks is a better fitted to playing his type of football and who is attainable. 

Agree with your overall point. I think we already know we're not paying what Dortmund want for Sancho and I don't think Werner is bad or anything, he's quite good. But I think his goal record is a bit skewed from the space and openness of the Bundesliga. I don't see the technique being up there with the best, I see someone who is extremely quick, makes good runs and is a good finisher and there's nothing wrong with that, but I'm not convinced his goals are repeatable at the highest level. 

I also don't really want to see a front 3 of Salah, Mane and Werner with Firmino in behind. I think there's too much similarity there. Nothing wrong with direct play, but that front 3 is tailor made to just go long all day. But if Klopp thinks that sounds great, obviously it would probably work out because he's gotten pretty much everything right. So we'll see. 

Tomorrowd papers still saying Haverts first choice but if too expensive in a move just to piss some fans off he will look at bringing Coutinho back

of re-signing Philippe Coutinho - but Kai Havertz remains at the top of his wishlist.

Liverpool boss Klopp is in the market for an attacking midfielder and has been linked with a move for Bayer Leverkusen wonderkid Havertz for some time. Klopp splashed serious cash a few seasons ago when he landed Virgil van Dijk, Alisson, Naby Keita and Fabinho for a combined £230million fee.

Since creating a Champions League winning team, well on their way to winning a first Premier League title this season, Klopp has put the chequebook down.

But this could change when the transfer window reopens at the end of the season.

0_Liverpool-manager-Jugen-Klopp-with-Phi
Jurgen Klopp is reportedly open to the idea of re-signing Philippe Coutinho 

According to Express Sport, Klopp is ready to test Leverkusen's resolve over Havertz and should Liverpool be priced out of a deal, then the German may consider resigning Coutinho.

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has made Bayer Leverkusen's Germany international Kai Havertz, 20, his top midfield target ahead of the summer transfer window. 

Klopp is considering bringing Barcelona's Brazil playmaker Philippe Coutinho, 27, currently on loan at Bayern Munich, back to Anfield

I have to say, bringing coutinho back for a fraction of the amount we sold him for would be the greatest business of all time (probably), considering his original sale enabled us to build the greatest team of all time (probably)

lets do it, why not 

4 minutes ago, moof said:

I have to say, bringing coutinho back for a fraction of the amount we sold him for would be the greatest business of all time (probably), considering his original sale enabled us to build the greatest team of all time (probably)

lets do it, why not 

i wouldnt be totally against it, 

but he's been absolutely shite since he left us. So besides the inevitably large fee, his form has been pony!!

Just now, chrisbonnie said:

i wouldnt be totally against it, 

but he's been absolutely shite since he left us. So besides the inevitably large fee, his form has been pony!!

One of these and he will be banging them in from 30 yards again

He'd go a long way to helping with Salah and Mane being out for 4-6 weeks next year. 

coutinho2_3543382b.jpg

I actually don’t want Coutinho back. Not (just) because he fucked of like a twat, but because we are settled without him, and I don’t think he’s the right type of player to come back into the side now. I’d sooner the money was spend elsewhere. 

Probably just a tactic to lower the price on Havertz anyway. If it we’re up to me, I’d say getting both Havertz and Werner would be just about ideal. Obviously unlikely, and would be incredibly luxury. But still, I’d like to win everything at all times. Ever. 

• Upvote 2

I know practically nothing about Havertz but, realistically, I'm struggling to see us spending £100 million on a midfielder when we've got Henderson, Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Jones already. That's without mentioning Milner. 

In response to Sir Roger's post above too, I'd argue it's practically impossible to upgrade Gomez as well. 

• Upvote 1

Can't see Coutinho coming back; big wages, acted a tit, and the risk he'd be one of those Brazilians who aged like a bruised pear as they approach 30. Move on.

Sounds more like a way to push that we won't go above £70m or thereabouts for Havertz. 

*kicks tyres*

There's a car down the road I can get cheaper

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I actually don’t want Coutinho back. Not (just) because he fucked of like a twat, but because we are settled without him, and I don’t think he’s the right type of player to come back into the side now. I’d sooner the money was spend elsewhere. 

Probably just a tactic to lower the price on Havertz anyway. If it we’re up to me, I’d say getting both Havertz and Werner would be just about ideal. Obviously unlikely, and would be incredibly luxury. But still, I’d like to win everything at all times. Ever. 

Me neither. Loved the magician when he was here but the stunts he pulled to go means there's no welcome back from me.

I see that scum rag is mentioned in BBC gossip that Bayern want Bobby for £75m. Not a fucking chance even if it was another paper running it.

12 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

I know practically nothing about Havertz but, realistically, I'm struggling to see us spending £100 million on a midfielder when we've got Henderson, Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Jones already. That's without mentioning Milner. 

In response to Sir Roger's post above too, I'd argue it's practically impossible to upgrade Gomez as well. 

Oh yeah, Gomez and VVD is the best pairing in the world. No doubt about it. It’s unbelievable how few we concede with those two together. Wouldn’t swap them for any other set up.